Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 09:52 PM

308 posts, read 679,876 times

Advertisements

Naah. Stay home and deprive yourself of more shopping for more stuff?! That's inconceivable. Everyone knows how much stuff makes you happy. Is it any wonder why so many people are miserable here in this state where the whole object of your existence is to accumulate as many things as you can before you die. How sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Is it so horrible to stay home for one measely day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2011, 10:02 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
Making the assumption that most people who work retail depend on mass transit is incorrect (and many other things that I won't mention).

I'm not saying that everything should be open or that stores should force employees to get to work when they can't. I just don't understand how the whole world shuts down because of a storm. We've had worst weather this past year, and things still went on as normal.
Maybe where YOU live the weather has been worse but not everyone who works in your area lives there. I can honestly say that the hurricane was worse in my area than any other storm we have ever had including the nor'easter of 92.

Second entire towns made it illegal to drive at all today. Down here Wall gave out tickets for driving on 35 for a large portion of the day. It's likely things of those nature influenced the widespread closures of businesses.

Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 PM

85 posts, read 215,403 times
Yeah, the town-imposed state of emergency got lifted in Hazlet at noon (was going to last till 6 PM), so people could drive and businesses could operate

Lowes decided to open despite having no power. They allowed customers to purchase items as long as they had exact (or close to exact) change.

which allowed us to get 4 things of chainsaw fuel

Old 08-29-2011, 12:09 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
For those who can't imagine why all stores and restaurants are not open for their convenience, below is the latest update from Somerset County, regarding our local roads. Based on this list--which is current as of 9:30PM tonight--I would be very surprised if many local businesses were able to open for business:

[CENTER][CENTER]Somerset County Road Closings – August 28, 2011[/CENTER][/CENTER]

[SIZE=3]All major river crossings and roadways over the Raritan and Millstone Rivers in Somerset County are closed due to flooding.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]There is a travel ban in Manville now through Monday, Aug. 29, at 6:00 AM. ([/SIZE]Only essential personnel and residents going to a shelter are allowed on borough roads until that time.)
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]The following roads and bridges are closed as of 9:30 p.m. today due to flooding (Note: This list may not be conclusive and is in a state of flux) :[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]All County Roads into the Borough of Bound Brook[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]All County Roads into the Borough of Manville[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Griggstown Causeway between Franklin & Montgomery[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Blackwells Mills Causeway between Franklin & Hillsborough[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Canal Road, Franklin Township[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]River Road, Montgomery, between Blue Springs Road & Montgomery border[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Morning Glory Road, Bridgewater/Greenbrook, between Rte. 22 & King George Road [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Weston Canal Road, Franklin[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]New Center Road, Hillsborough, between Auten Road & Roycefield Road[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Old York Road, Bridgewater, between River Road & Milltown Road[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Station Road, Branchburg, at Rt. 22 [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]River Road, Hillsborough, between Roycefield Road & Beekman Road[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Tea Street, Bound Brook [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Chimney Rock Road, Bridgewater, between Rte. 28 & E. Main St.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Elizabeth Ave, Franklin, from School House Road to Weston Road[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]River Road, Montgomery, from Gristmill Road to Ridgeview Road[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Middlebush Road, Franklin Township, from Bennetts Lane to Jacques Lane, until further notice[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]The Van Veghton Bridge, between Manville and Bridgewater [/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Millstone Causeway, from Hillsborough to Franklin Twp.[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Lyman Street Bridge, Hillsborough[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Amwell Road, various sections between Rte. 206 and Hunterdon County[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Millstone River Road, various sections between Millstone Borough and Rte. 206[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Easton Avenue, various sections in Franklin[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Dukes Parkway East, Hillsborough, near Rte. 206[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]CR 518, Franklin, between Laurel Ave and Crescent Ave[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Rte 28, Branchburg, between Milltown Rd and Station Road[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=3]Easton Ave, Franklin, from JFK Blvd to Foxwood Drive[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[CENTER][CENTER][SIZE=3]Please note:[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]This list is subject to change. [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]For up-to-date information about closings [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]of County-owned roads and bridges, [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]go to [/SIZE][SIZE=3]http://www.co.somerset.nj.us/subscribe.html[/SIZE][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3]for free email updates.[/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/CENTER]
[CENTER][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/CENTER][/CENTER]

Sorry for the formatting problems!

Old 08-29-2011, 12:21 AM

143 posts, read 302,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic78 View Post
I am surprised that everything in the Livingston area is closed. We can't find anything open. We would like to get out, even if it means a trip to Target! We didn't lose power, no flooding by us.

Is anything open out there?

Well, don't try to go to the Willowbrook Mall on Monday because it will be closed. It may be closed for several days because of flooding (or anticipated flooding if the river hasn't crested yet).

The Wayne/Little Falls/Fairfield area is always flooding. Why did they build a mall on such a flood plain?

I think Livingston Mall is open on Monday, though.

I'm happy to report that Domino's was open in Verona on Sunday! Got some good pizza.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Rahrah View Post

I'm happy to report that Domino's was open in Verona on Sunday! Got some good pizza.

So, there were other pizzerias open as well?
Surely you don't think that the pizza sold at Domino's is good, do you?

Old 08-29-2011, 12:48 AM

143 posts, read 302,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
So, there were other pizzerias open as well?
Surely you don't think that the pizza sold at Domino's is good, do you?
It's not my favorite pizza but I was hungry. Anyway, it just felt good to be outside in the "fresh" air. I get bored being indoors for long, especially in my very tiny, cramped apartment (two rooms). I like to be outside, even just to take a walk. Besides, I was curious to see what the neighborhood looked like.

It was my boyfriend who really wanted the pizza. He was bored with the healthy food I keep buying. After too many spinach salads and fruit smoothies even Domino's tastes good.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:53 AM

98 posts, read 268,953 times
I thought all of your "shopping" was done before the hurricane? You know, loading up on bottled water you never needed, toilet paper, milk, and eggs. And your lottery tickets. I really think it's something in the drinking watrer that turns the residents of NJ into the "walking stupid." So, you work 5 days, and only have a few minutes here and there otherwise? Oh, poor baby. Push your "plans" ahead to Labor Day. Anyway, we were in a state of emergency yesterday, which means NO CARS ALLOWED OUT ON THE ROAD. No, honey, not even yours!

It amazes me that people who whine about not having money, prices of everything going up are the FIRST ones that get the urge to shop after a hurricane hits.

In the words of Ron White..."You can't fix stupid."

Old 08-29-2011, 07:37 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
everything is ok everybody, i had dinner at fridays last night. i didnt get to accumulate more things to satisfy my materialistic lifestyle, but i had a nice dinner with my family.

Old 08-29-2011, 08:09 AM

5,504 posts, read 6,245,086 times
M78 no, you were not rude in your comments, but I did find your post interesting and insuring more justification as to why we moved away---I remember saying these words to my husband when we were an hr. away from closing on our home & his Secretary told me that he was "still" on an International Phone Call and would be late coming home--"In the North East people "live to work---in the South people "work to live".
We live in front of a Cemetery and not 1 headstone is inscribed "I wish I spent more time at the office & shopping"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey