Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,490,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by feyzanour View Post
...about the gold card idea; do u guys mean I have the chance to submit the receipts to the credit card company to claim a refund from them (if they cover flooding losses ofcourse)?...

since this happened i have been washing clothes like crazy. The websites wrote that they should be washed more than 1 time czuse flood water developes bacteria fast and easy. i dont even think this water came directly from the sky to our basement We never lived in a single family house before so I dont know much about these kind of things but suddenly water rose from somewhere either from the ground, from sides of the house or from the bathroom, I just dont know. Therefore I am worried about getting this mold and bacteria very soon. Plus, they smell sooooo bad, so is the basement. It is not drying we bought a wetvac after drving 3 hours from this home depot to that one... We have commercial fans that have been on for the last 30 hours. Still very soaked wet. I called a company, they told me I might need to change the carpet. It was a full finished clean nice basement which was like a living room. It is jsut a 10 year old house, not an old one. I mean I dont just want to close its door and forget about the basement. Anyways, back to the laundry; we drove 2 hours to find a laundrymat but there is not many in this town and all were closed. it is taking too long to wash and dry but i still am thankful to God at least i have a laundry at home

Every bit of advice you guys write in here helps me and maybe help others too. Thanks very much!
Check your credit card documents. A lot have funny "accident" insurance. Depends 100% on what the credit card(s) you bought the stuff with says.

The clothes will probably be ok as long as they're washed a couple of times and dried out.

Sounds like your carpet is gone. Best to tear it out. Talk with your landlord about the best way to handle things (unless you put the carpet in - I am assuming your landlord put it in). Robyn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 09:37 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feyzanour View Post
can someone here give me an advice please, i posted another tread but nobody seem to be interested in yet

Our rental agreement is short and simple. All it says is tenants should get his own insurance.
I am pretty sure renter's insurance is for coverage of contents and possibly damage caused by you. Unless you did something to damage the downstairs (which you obviously didn't) it should be the landlords responsibility to bring it back up to the way it was when you rented it. In other words, the damage to your belongings is your responsibility but the carpet and other items should be the responsibility of the landlord.

In NJ there is a code for renters called the Warrant of Habitability. You can find it here LSNJLAW - G: Chapter 6: Your Right to Safe and Decent Housing

Basically it says that the landlord has to keep the rental habitable. Moldy carpet isn't habitable and therefore should be the landlord's responsibility (that's my own interpretation).

Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCK7778 View Post
A flood zone "A" is one of the non-preferred zones. The preferred zones are zones B, C and X. Anything in a flood zone A or V has a high propensity to flood and the policies are generally very expensive. I work in the industry so I am not just talking out of my a**.

I am not sure who told you your zone, but if you are paying $300 in Florida for flood insurance you are definitely not in a zone A as defined by the federal flood maps.
Just looked at my flood cert, I'm in zone "X".

I'm the highest point in my neighborhood, the majority of homes are 10-50 feet lower in elevation. I'm actually one of the highest points in the entire state of Florida at 250 feet above sea level.

Old 08-31-2011, 07:08 AM

154 posts, read 666,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Not true. Anyone can purchase flood insurance, even if they are not in a flood zone. We live in one of the highest points in Florida and are in Flood Zone "A." In other words, 99.999% chance we'll never flood. A building and contents combined policy costs us $300 or so a year--well worth the peace of mind for that once in a millennium chance.

They don't just give money, they allow people to borrow it.

By the way, renters can purchase a "contents only" flood policy just like they can purchase regular renters insurance.
Not true - I have received money from FEMA after 911 as a resident in downtown Manhattan.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
FEMA is down to less than $800M in their budget. At this point I wouldn't rely on them for even the basics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey