Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:08 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,475,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I haven't heard anything about Philly either.
Sunday I stumbled on KYW-TV's live feed of their hurricane coverage. I came & went for hours, & everytime I walked by there was more carnage from the storm.

The networks always ignore Philadelphia in times like this. Brian Williams has done more to cover Philly than anyone else. He worked at WCAU in Philly before going to NBC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,122,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
What was the news making it out to be other than what it was?

I watched, it got downgraded, while it was pelting OBX.
They were talking about hurricane-force wind gusts hundreds of miles from the storm center and similar nonsense, as it approached NYC.

Quote:
What regular old thunder storm (they run up the east coast - hop water-ways and land and travel state to state?) in the past 100 years was worse and has caused as much destruction as little old, closer to the size of Texas than not, Irene did in NJ?
Thunderstorms and squall lines don't get named, so I can't identify them. But as far as wind damage is concerned, I've seen two in the past year that were worse. But as I mentioned, such storms cover a smaller area and though they have heavier rain than Irene, it lasts a much shorter time.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Basically this storm was like a 400-mile-wide band of moderate to heavy rainstorms which lasted 6 hours, followed by a moderate windstorm. It was certainly damaging (My town is still under a "boil water" order because the water treatment plant was flooded), but nothing like what the news was making it out to be. Almost any given area has had regular old summer thunderstorms/squall lines which were worse; it's just that Irene affected a much wider area. The exceptions are places like Millburn, where quantity (of rain) had a quality all of its own, but even then the defining characteristic of a hurricane is the high winds, and what did most of the damage was the heavy rains.
Really? Funny thing is that it was pelting eastern NC for more than 36 hours. It destroyed roads from NC to Vermont. Going into Pamlico Sound it was cited as being the size of Europe.

Considering that people work shifts that range around the clock, & some travel for work, etc, how do you propose to get the word of an impending storm to the maximum number of people without repeating it over & over & over again?

Old 08-30-2011, 10:36 PM

Quote:
They were talking about hurricane-force wind gusts hundreds of miles from the storm center and similar nonsense, as it approached NYC.
It was pelting Philly & beyond & was still pelting the Delmarva. Is that far enough for you?

Old 08-31-2011, 08:01 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,344,548 times
Quote:
Basically this storm was like a 400-mile-wide band of moderate to heavy rainstorms which lasted 6 hours, followed by a moderate windstorm. It was certainly damaging (My town is still under a "boil water" order because the water treatment plant was flooded), but nothing like what the news was making it out to be. Almost any given area has had regular old summer thunderstorms/squall lines which were worse; it's just that Irene affected a much wider area. The exceptions are places like Millburn, where quantity (of rain) had a quality all of its own, but even then the defining characteristic of a hurricane is the high winds, and what did most of the damage was the heavy rains.

rain in west orange started around 3pm, light at first, but then picked up and got steady. it stopped for 15 minutes a little later in the evening, and then poured hard all night until around 6:30am. unless it stopped sometime between 3am-6am (that's when i actually got to sleep) that i didn't know about, and restarted...it was much longer than 6 hours. also, the wind we experienced all day on sunday was hardly moderate. it could have been much worse, but it was pretty bad from 8am through about 3pm on sunday.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:05 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,344,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It was pelting Philly & beyond & was still pelting the Delmarva. Is that far enough for you?
it even hit northeast PA, which i thought would be pretty safe. lots of customers out of power, roads damaged and closed, and trees down. if the storm center was somewhere around the coast of NJ, that would put winds and rain at about 300-400 miles away. i'd call that "hundreds". it was downgraded to tropical storm by that time, but 65mph winds or 85mph winds...it's not like it just got a little breezy.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:15 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,650,599 times
Quote:
While you are certainly entitled to your own opinion that does not make it factual or even remotely accurate.

I live in southern Monmouth Co and work in Northern. It was far worse than a "squall" or summer thunderstorm THROUGHOUT that area. The mildest comparision that would be remotely apt would be of a severe noreaster.

In Manasquan NJ (an area only slightly more than a mile square) we had enough wind to knock down dozens of trees and several of which landed on houses. These are trees that withstood the winds of summer thunderstroms, noreasters and the windstorm last year with gusts of over 60mph.

Maybe your area was not severely effected but the combined effects of wind and flood make this storm worse than any seen here (eastern Monmouth Co) including the noreaster of 92.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
it even hit northeast PA, which i thought would be pretty safe. lots of customers out of power, roads damaged and closed, and trees down. if the storm center was somewhere around the coast of NJ, that would put winds and rain at about 300-400 miles away. i'd call that "hundreds". it was downgraded to tropical storm by that time, but 65mph winds or 85mph winds...it's not like it just got a little breezy.
Well, NE PA got pelted badly by Hurricane Agnes back in '72, as another poster pointed out in another thread.

The middle on the I 85 corridor (Charlotte to Greenville, SC) was expected to get heavy rain as Irene passed from Charleston, SC to Wilmington, NC Almost the entire state of NC was supposed to get rain during the passage through eastern NC. Had the dry front not come in & sapped energy from the storm, it would have hit NC as a cat 3 & South Jersey as a strong cat 2. Damage would have been much, much worse. Instead of being grateful that it wasn't as bad as it could have been, some people seem disappointed. I just don't get it.

Having been through every Atlantic storm since 1964, I was grateful to have dodged this bullet. I guess they're right, ignorance is bliss.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:37 AM

819 posts, read 3,200,976 times
Quote:
Basically this storm was like a 400-mile-wide band of moderate to heavy rainstorms which lasted 6 hours

Lucky you. Where are you that it only rained for 6 hours?
It rained for 24 hours in my town. Thanks to that rain my basement flooded and the ceiling on my front porch started leaking & is in the process of falling down.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:53 AM

88,184 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
Lucky you. Where are you that it only rained for 6 hours?
It rained for 24 hours in my town. Thanks to that rain my basement flooded and the ceiling on my front porch started leaking & is in the process of falling down.
Sorry to hear that.

I'm wondering where these people were where it only rained for 6 hours, too. It was already raining most of Saturday and driving on the GSP about 5 p.m. the rain was so heavily it couldn't drain off the road fast enough and I was riding on water in some places.

Didn't stop raining until late Sunday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey