U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-29-2011, 11:52 PM

7 posts, read 6,717 times
Default Feedback on Branchburg?

Hi All-

I'm a SAHM looking for feedback on Branchburg, specifically the area near White Oak park. My family is moving from CA and we are looking at this area. What do you think of it? Good place for a young family? Safety? Things to do close by?

Thanks so much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 08:06 AM

435 posts, read 501,095 times
What is a SAHM?

Anyway, Branchburg is a lovely town. It has about 14,000 residents. All of the elementary schools are excellent. The kids go to Somerville High School, but that is a good school. Just this year 3 or 4 kids are going to Cornell. There is always someone going to Princeton, Harvard, Yale, and then most of the Branchburg kids go on to Rutgers and the surrounding schools in PA (UPenn, Lehigh, Lafayette, West Chester, East Stroudsburg), then UDel, U of Maryland, Towson, George Washington, Catholic University, etc. In other words, kids from Somerville HS get into great colleges.

Branchburg has wonderful sports programs, and many of them (including Travel Baseball and Soccer) take place at White Oak Park. White Oak park is huge....and is the center hub of outdoor sports in Branchburg. We now have the Branchburt Sports Complex right up the road (privately owned).

Branchburg is in a great location. About six miles to the Bridgewater Commons Mall (anchor stores, Macy's, Lord and Taylors, Bloomingdales).
Millions of restaurants, are around, both chain and great small privately owned (many are bring your own bottle).

Branchburg is close to Route 202, Route 206, Route 22, Route 78 and Route 287. Majority of people work in the pharmaceutical industry, (J&J, Merck, Roche), Verizon, AT&T, etc.

If you move close to White Oak Park, that's a great location. Also look at some of the "older" executive developments like Stony Brook (or Birdland)...ie., Wren Way, Country Squire, Bald Eagle Drive, Swan Court...beautiful older homes (built in the mid-1970s, but they are on one acre of rolling hills) with great backroad access to route 22 and 202, and secret backrouds up to Route 78!

Their public golf course (Neshanic Golf Course) is first class. There are also private clubs like Fox Hollow and Fiddler's Elbow (although Fiddler's is in Bedminster).

We have the World Class Shop Rite on Route 22, and the fantastic Wegmans on Route 202. In about 20 minutes you can drive down to the factory outlets in Flemington, right off of Route 202. Or you can drive for about 40 minutes and have a night out in Bucks County PA for great shopping and restaurants. In less than an hour (on weekends, not during the week), you can drive to the ferry in Weehawkin and go into Manhattan. In less than two hours you are in Philadelphia. In less than an hour (not during morning rush hour) you are at Newark Airport.

You can't go wrong in Branchburg. We raised three kids here and sent them to Somerville HS. They, plus their friends all went off to great colleges, etc.

Best of luck to you!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:11 AM

Plus the best real estate companies in this area are Coldwell Banker, Weichert and Remax (in my opinion)...but you can probably find others....not sure who they are....

Old 08-31-2011, 08:23 AM

As far as safety? The only thing the police have to do here is.....hum....well, I'm not really sure! I think the police force only has about 15 members or so. Not much to do except DUIs on the weekends and what not. So, it is very safe. Actually, the police department is very nice....this really is a small town with alot of advantages because of it's location.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 AM

572 posts, read 975,025 times
As someone who was raised in Branchburg and is now in my 30's...while the town itself is great, there are other towns that are just as nice with better high schools. I would not send my children to SHS if I have the option of sending them elsewhere.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 AM

Well, do you know anyone who's graduated from SHS within the last 10 years? Having had three kids go through there, I know hundreds, if not a thousand kids who graduated and they all went to great colleges, etc. As I said in a different post under another section, SHS is small enough that if you want to be on a sports team, you are on it, if you want to be in the band, you're in it, etc. etc. Not like other towns where there are about 700 kids in a graduating class.

Since the graduating class averages, what about 300, there is alot of attention from the guidance counselors in filling out college applications, etc., which is critical. They get the paperwork done, in and on time.

If you are in your thirties, then you went through SHS during the 1990s. I don't know what it was like then, so I can't comment on that. But, please don't comment on something that you are now not familiar with.

And, if you graduate from SHS and are unsure of going away to school, then you have the option of Raritan Valley Community College right in the backyard where you can complete your first two years. How wonderful to have a beautiful college campus right up the road.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 7,395 times
I grew up in Branchburg and went to high school in Somerville. Looking back I can't think of anything negative to say about it. Branchburg was a bit homogenous and Somerville a bit more diverse, but it was nice being exposed to both.

I used to live by the Whiton Elementary school (before and after there was a school there) and there were quite a few other kids my age in the area. We all played around the neighborhood w/out much (if any) adult supervision and nothing bad ever happened, so I'd say its a pretty safe town.

I'm now in my early 30's and have lived in other small towns as well as some not so small ones (Jersey City). If my family currently lived in Branchburg, I would not have any reservations about sending my 11 month old son through the school system there.

Hope this was helpful.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM

Small world. I lived in Jersey City too at one point while I worked in Manhattan.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM
PDD

5,871 posts, read 5,813,128 times
Branchburg is a nice town with decent schools but I would not put it at the top rated town to live in in Somerset County.
The best rated towns are in no particular order.
Branchburg, Bridgewater, Green Brook Twp. Hillsborough, Warren twp. Lesser rated towns would be Franklyn Twp. Somerville, Bound Brook. South Bound Brook, Manville. I hope I didn't forget anybody.

Not going to get in a pissing match with anybody but the people who live in Somerset County know which towns are the best rated.

BTW, nothing wrong with feeling your town is best.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:47 PM

Branchburg was just listed by NJ Monthly magazine as town #23 in it's best places to live poll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey