U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you stay in NJ or leave
I love paying high taxes and supporting corrupt politicians. 9 28.13%
I am outta here on the next bus 12 37.50%
I cant afford to stay but i also cant afford to leave 5 15.63%
Undecided 6 18.75%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 06:40 AM

12,284 posts, read 29,568,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncmaster View Post
What I like about Jersey: my family, my friends, my job. Also, the fact that I've never had to look for more than 2-3 weeks for a job when I needed (or wanted) one.

What I dislike about Jersey: The taxes, the traffic, the winters.

Why moving from Jersey scares me: What if I get laid off and can't find a job? I know too many people with perfectly sound skillsets who live in places like NC and SC and GA who spend months looking for work. The only way that's going to happen to you in Jersey is if you're an idiot. The last thing I want is to sell my home in Jersey, move to the Carolinas, and have to move back. That would be financially draining not to mention personally embarrassing.

Conclusion and final vote: Undecided.
a family member of mine had the oppy to move to NC because they were relocating a large portion of his company there (TIAA-CREF). for various reasons, he didn't go (most of which he didn't want to live in NC). anyway, a bunch of co-workers took the deal, same NYC salary, packed up their lives, left families, sold houses and went.

you know what happened. a few months after the move, TIAA had HUGE layoffs (i want to say about 40% when a lucent hacketwoman joined the ranks). LOTS of these transplants lost their jobs. this family member did also, but he was luckily still around familiar surroundings and was able to find employment elsewhere easily. my heart went out to these, in essence, displaced families. hopefully they got jobs quickly. i think your concern is very valid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 AM

1,244 posts, read 3,513,075 times
Tahiti,

I heard the same thing about TIAA-CREF. My aunt's husband worked for them as well, and was offered to be transfered there. He declined, but has also since heard about the people who were without jobs down in NC. What a shame! Many of those who sold homes up north found themselves unable to come back because they couldn't afford to replace what they had.

Old 08-21-2007, 10:13 PM

25 posts, read 77,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdpop View Post
I originally moved out of NJ and to Orlando, FL in 2004 because of the increasingly high cost of housing. The place I was renting in NJ was being sold at at the time and there was nothing I could afford in NJ. Three years later, I have yet to find a good job in FL and I find that the cost of living is almost as much on less than 1/2 of the pay I was getting in NJ. I am on my way back up there as soon I can. Just look at the Orlando board and you will see just how bad things are down here.
Hey Orlando, Tampa here and ditto all the way...not better over in the bay. Also, VERY boring place to live and you don't get what you pay for....see you back in Jersey.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,170 times
Default Made the Move

I was born & raised in Secaucus & my hubby was born & raised in Rutherford and we have been in the area our entire lives until 2yrs ago. We were renting & NJ was wearing on us, the congestion, traffic and expense of it all. But, especially the expense, with a combined income of approx. 70,000.00 we found it very difficult to be able to afford a home in an area where we could raise our family. We didn't have to live in Rutherford and, since he worked off of 78 we often thought of moving to the Allentown Pa area and he could commute from there since prices of houses seemed a more affordable. But that would mean giving up my job, and my back up child care, so we were back in the same boat, how could we get an affordable house in a descent area? Then he received a job transfer to the Pittsburgh area. I was thrilled when I did a search and found such affordable housing prices, but I too worry about the job market here and that fact that if he looses this job (with his Jersey salary) what would happen. But I am thrilled to be here and will take my chances. We were only out here one year and were able to buy a house with the added bonus that I don't have to work and finally after 10 years can stay home with my kids!! It's because of the cost of living. Of course NJ has it good points & Pa has its negative ones. It Just depends on what your looking for and to get a $149,000 house that I would have to have moved to northern Bergen County to get & pay $500,000 + for I' don't regret the move one bit.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:16 PM

5,618 posts, read 12,787,185 times
I moved and never come back. I just did it, love this area and hated NJ. The middle class is screwed in NJ and it will only get worse. Hey both my inlaws and parents LOVE NJ but they can insulate themselves from the problems. They both have big bucks. So let the rich stay!!! If you lived in that house for 20 years and can't afford it, someone else will buy it. Thats the cycle. I am not paying for some towns union anymore. Find the next sucker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey