Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 01:41 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Isn't that any upper middle to upper class town in NJ? Trash with money is the definition of a New Jersey resident
Wow. Lots of nasty and hateful people online today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2016, 02:11 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoshanarose View Post
I don't like the culture in Livingston.
It's a very "white trash with money" kind of town, IMHO.
Just very shallow.
I would be miserable there!
Um, OK.

Isn't it also very SHALLOW to refer to anyone, let alone an entire town, as "white trash"?

Just out of curiosity...in your estimation, which white people, and which towns, can be considered white NON-trash? What is the technical, demographic term for white non-trash, anyway? If they happen to have money, does that make them more trashy, or less trashy?

Also, is it just the moneyed white people in Livingston that are trash? Or also the Asians? What about the solidly middle class and working class people in Livingston? Are they also trash? Or do you put them on some kind of idealistic 'humble, salt-of-the-earth' pedestal? Or, by virtue of being comparatively poor, would you still just write them off as trash?

Please. Elaborate. Name specific towns that meet your standards of non trash 'culture'.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:21 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Wow. Lots of nasty and hateful people online today.
Just calling it like it is. I'm pretty trashy myself.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:22 PM

3,960 posts, read 3,595,455 times
Quote:
Yes, doctors, lawyers, engineers, and Wall Street commuters. All "white trash with money". Each and every one of them.

I'm sorry if you felt you were mistreated there, but judging from your posts, I would advise you look inward for the cause.
(What posts?)

I was never mistreated in Livingston.
I never lived there.
I would never live there.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Isn't that any upper middle to upper class town in NJ? Trash with money is the definition of a New Jersey resident
Oh, that's sad

Old 09-11-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Yes, doctors, lawyers, engineers, and Wall Street commuters. All "white trash with money". Each and every one of them.

I'm sorry if you felt you were mistreated there, but judging from your posts, I would advise you look inward for the cause.
Again, lots of people with money.
You will find Wall Street commuters there. Most of whom have a B.A.
They're not the most educated group, but not uneducated either.

What you WON'T find in Livingston is a lot of...professors, artists, writers, Ph.D.'s, etc.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Um, OK.

Isn't it also very SHALLOW to refer to anyone, let alone an entire town, as "white trash"?

Just out of curiosity...in your estimation, which white people, and which towns, can be considered white NON-trash? What is the technical, demographic term for white non-trash, anyway? If they happen to have money, does that make them more trashy, or less trashy?

Also, is it just the moneyed white people in Livingston that are trash? Or also the Asians? What about the solidly middle class and working class people in Livingston? .
What working class people in Livingston??

Old 09-11-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docendo discimus View Post
Um, OK.

Let's put it this way: Take people from many towns on Long Island and Staten Island. People that may have large "Trump" signs in their yard. People that like to go "to the mall" and "down the shore" for fun.
People that care A LOT what kind of car they drive, and what brand of clothes they wear.
People that will go to a movie, but not go to a concert (that's not pop music) or a play/show (that's not Broadway).
People that would rather watch TV than read a book.
People that read the NY Post rather than the NY Times.
That's Livingston! They're not terribly classy. (of course it could be worse).

Towns that are NOT white trash?:
Maplewood, Montclair, South Orange, Chatham, Summit, some/much of Millburn. Just for a start.

Old 09-11-2016, 05:32 PM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
I never lived there.
...and yet you are intimately familiar with the people who live there, as well as their personality traits?

Old 09-11-2016, 06:09 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Again, lots of people with money.
You will find Wall Street commuters there. Most of whom have a B.A.
They're not the most educated group, but not uneducated either.

What you WON'T find in Livingston is a lot of...professors, artists, writers, Ph.D.'s, etc.
Quote:
Let's put it this way: Take people from many towns on Long Island and Staten Island. People that may have large "Trump" signs in their yard. People that like to go "to the mall" and "down the shore" for fun.
People that care A LOT what kind of car they drive, and what brand of clothes they wear.
People that will go to a movie, but not go to a concert (that's not pop music) or a play/show (that's not Broadway).
People that would rather watch TV than read a book.
People that read the NY Post rather than the NY Times.
That's Livingston! They're not terribly classy. (of course it could be worse).

Towns that are NOT white trash?:
Maplewood, Montclair, South Orange, Chatham, Summit, some/much of Millburn. Just for a start.
I think you are either delusional, or you are just making up your own facts. There are many Ph.D.'s in Livingston. It is a town with one of the highest percentages of graduate degrees in the state. Writers and artists? Really? How many towns have a high percentage of artists and writers except, maybe Montclair and Maplewood?

And where are you getting your information about what the people of the town do for entertainment? You are speaking as if you have the depth of knowledge of someone who has lived there for a decade, when you just said you never even lived there a day. I hate to break it to you, but people read books and go to concerts. I don't know how many people go to off-Broadway plays, but that is a rather bizarre metric. NY Post? Really?

Your list sounds like nothing more than a picture you created in your own mind, without anything of substance to back it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey