Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 06:05 PM

3 posts, read 6,059 times

Advertisements

Hi there - Family is in process of moving to NJ. We have narrowed our search down to 2 towns - West Caldwell and Whippany (in Hanover Twp). Would like feedback on 2 different things:
* Commute to Elizabeth area - seems like from West Caldwell commute would be 280 E to GSP; from Whippany would probably stick w 24 E - are either of these routes better/worse (current flooding related issues aside) for typical rush hour commute (leave 730am, home at 500 pm)
* General area - what are the key differences between these 2 towns (we do have 2 young kids if that matters)

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 10:57 PM

143 posts, read 301,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshay80 View Post
Hi there - Family is in process of moving to NJ. We have narrowed our search down to 2 towns - West Caldwell and Whippany (in Hanover Twp). Would like feedback on 2 different things:
* Commute to Elizabeth area - seems like from West Caldwell commute would be 280 E to GSP; from Whippany would probably stick w 24 E - are either of these routes better/worse (current flooding related issues aside) for typical rush hour commute (leave 730am, home at 500 pm)
* General area - what are the key differences between these 2 towns (we do have 2 young kids if that matters)

Thanks in advance.
Both are nice towns with good schools. The high schools have very similar rankings in New Jersey Monthly. The demographics are pretty similiar: income level, etc.

Whippany is in Morris County, therefore it is heavily Republican. West Caldwell is in Essex County, which seems to be more liberal. I find Morris County much prettier (not every inch is covered by strip malls), but Essex County more diverse and tolerant.

I can't tell you anything about the commute to Elizabeth, since I've only been to Elizabeth once on my life!

Old 09-01-2011, 07:37 AM

232 posts, read 611,509 times
Best route (less traffic) to Elizabeth is 24E > 78E, even from West Caldwell.

Old 09-01-2011, 08:51 AM

133 posts, read 330,138 times
I lived near West Caldwell for many years, and lived in Whippany for 8 years. I prefer Whippany myself. Easy access to Morristown, 287, 80, 10, and 24 from there. And you're not 'feeding' Newark with your taxes. If you live in West Caldwell, you will be doing that.

Personally, I found a greater sense of community in Hanover than in West Caldwell. And yes, I agree. Morris County is much prettier.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:38 PM

151 posts, read 526,939 times
My vote's for Whippany. I live here and the schools are great. Can't help with the commute though.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:10 AM

186 posts, read 732,994 times
How bad is the commute from these towns to NYC, Midtown? Do a lot of people commute from West Caldwell to NYC?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM

19 posts, read 53,079 times
I commute from West Caldwel to NYC every day. It's not the worst, but could definitely be better. I hop on a bus which takes about 50 minutes to get to the Port Authority. The return trip can take a bit longer due to traffic. There is also a bus to Wall St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey