Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:01 PM

9,273 posts, read 14,867,504 times

Advertisements

quote: "Are you serious? The OP pays rent just so he/she doesn't have to deal with this kind of crap himself/herself."

Under ordinary circumstances, yes- you pay rent so you don't have to do repairs. This is not that situation. It was an emergency due to a natural disaster and a tenant is obligated to mitigate damages if possible. If the house is deemed habitable, he is obligated to continue to paying rent. To tell him to just move out is irresponsible in terms of his future obligations and his credit.

My advice was to give him one way to stay in the house in the interim. Perhaps the landlord will find someone within the legal time period to do the cleanup.

All mold is not toxic!!! Don't you ever clean mold out of your bathroom?? If he moves out, the tenant will have to prove toxic mold in court. If he loses, he will pay.

Tenants make a lot of unfounded assumptions about their rights versus the landlord's- believe me I am in the business. You don't always need a lawyer, you just need to read the statutes for your state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2011, 09:13 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,180,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
It was an emergency due to a natural disaster and a tenant is obligated to mitigate damages if possible.
The tenant does not have to effect repairs. The duty to mitigate damages in the context of a lease usually refers to the landlord being required to re-rent the unit in the case of the tenant abandoning the property; it has nothing to do with damage to the property.

Quote:
If the house is deemed habitable, he is obligated to continue to paying rent. To tell him to just move out is irresponsible in terms of his future obligations and his credit.
The tenant has already decided the house is not habitable. Is he supposed to just keep paying rent for a place he can't live in because he's afraid of the damage to his credit rating if the case should come down against him?

Quote:
All mold is not toxic!!! Don't you ever clean mold out of your bathroom?? If he moves out, the tenant will have to prove toxic mold in court. If he loses, he will pay.
The mold doesn't have to be toxic to violate the warrant of habitability. A unit which reeks of mold is not the same as having some mold in the bathroom.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM

7,054 posts, read 19,282,555 times
If I were in the tenant's shoes, and were committed to the idea of withholding rent (whether or not that's justified in this situation), I would put the rent money in escrow ASAP. If you go to court, this will demonstrate that you're not simply a deadbeat tenant trying to find a quick way out of paying your rent, but that you withheld the rent because you felt there was a breach of the lease contract.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:13 PM

50,612 posts, read 36,306,452 times
I don't think she said anyhting about being committed to withholding rent, she asked if she could break the lease a month early IF the home is inhabitable. I don't know the answer, I'm afraid!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:39 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,364,083 times
I am wondering if the tenant was the owner and they could not get anybody to make immediate repairs would they just move out or would they roll up their sleeves and do what was necessary to get the problem resolved.

I remember many years ago bailing out the basement of our flooded apt. for 12 hrs. I never sent a bill to the landlord. It was my home.

I can't believe all tenants are lazy do nothings.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:08 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,180,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I am wondering if the tenant was the owner and they could not get anybody to make immediate repairs would they just move out or would they roll up their sleeves and do what was necessary to get the problem resolved.
If the tenant was the owner they wouldn't be a tenant. Different sets of responsibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: