Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 07:50 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Are they requiring a degree now? back in the day..when you were still clinging to your mum's bossom : ) - no degree was required.
Yup- been requiring one for a while now- I want to say 10+ years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 08:05 AM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Are they requiring a degree now? back in the day..when you were still clinging to your mum's bossom : ) - no degree was required.

UKOK..is there an existing survey for the property? If so, are there any changes to the original layout? If not, you may be able to have the original surveyor just recert the original survey...if he or she is still around that is. Mine cost the builder ..$600.00 5 yrs ago for a 4 acre piece. I stiffed him at the closing for the survey costs because his attorney was an a** and should have included it in the closing cost schedule and he didn't... so oh well - not my fault.
Wiley,

Indeed, a degree is now required. Bob's initial assertion was correct: nowadays, surveying has progressed beyond the 'old days' because instead of using tripods and theodolites, you are now being asked to master GPS equipment, that as Bob says, is incredibly expensive. These instruments, which would have been considered a luxury to a surveyor 12 years ago, are now vital. And they are incredibly difficult to master. I went into a 5 day course learning a survey grade GPS device, and after wards, I still felt like I did not know my ass from first base. These devices are now able to compensate for any type of horizontal (and vertical) datum that was used from 1927 forward, and re-project these coordinates 'on the fly' into the current datum (which is usually the local State Plane system). Those 40-45k quotes for the devices are accurate, but the accuracy of the surveys have tightened considerably since 1996. They are sub-centimeter on the x,y and now z axis. However, on the east coast, since tree cover is a major factor, additional antennas have to be added to get the accuracy as tight as here in the desert, which come at an additional cost to the surveyor.

When you add into the equation knowledge of physics, real estate law, engineering, and geometry, you have a skill that bears lots of $$ in return.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:06 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,599,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Yup- been requiring one for a while now- I want to say 10+ years.
Well I've been out of that side of the engineering field for almost 20 yrs... time sure does fly!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Wiley,

Indeed, a degree is now required. Bob's initial assertion was correct: nowadays, surveying has progressed beyond the 'old days' because instead of using tripods and theodolites, you are now being asked to master GPS equipment, that as Bob says, is incredibly expensive. These instruments, which would have been considered a luxury to a surveyor 12 years ago, are now vital. And they are incredibly difficult to master. I went into a 5 day course learning a survey grade GPS device, and after wards, I still felt like I did not know my ass from first base. These devices are now able to compensate for any type of horizontal (and vertical) datum that was used from 1927 forward, and re-project these coordinates 'on the fly' into the current datum (which is usually the local State Plane system). Those 40-45k quotes for the devices are accurate, but the accuracy of the surveys have tightened considerably since 1996. They are sub-centimeter on the x,y and now z axis. However, on the east coast, since tree cover is a major factor, additional antennas have to be added to get the accuracy as tight as here in the desert, which come at an additional cost to the surveyor.

When you add into the equation knowledge of physics, real estate law, engineering, and geometry, you have a skill that bears lots of $$ in return.
I started out working in the field with a surveyor..back in the old fashion Tripod days - I remember having to plot topo by hand! And drafting by hand! I must say, I was pretty good at it . Very distinct penmanship..I use to get tons of compliments on my blue prints. I don't even think they do blue printing anymore..lol. The old stinky ammonia machines! One copy at a time...mylar..lol - the memories are coming back. I use to have to do soil testing in a small room..sieve analysis by hand!
"percolation tests" in the field - watching and measuirng as the water went down..lol - Things sure have progressed!

Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,752,805 times
My survey was $700 and $100 for each marker with all the right seals and certificates and blah blah blah. We were given the option of simply updating the existing survey but it was 15 years old and trees were missing and others were added to the propery line. It didnt show the row of hedges or the fence in the rear, and the house itself was very different (2 story Colonial Vs Ranch). So we opted for a whole new one. 2 guys were on the property for about 5 hours. In the end we opted NOT to have the markers but now that Ive removed 2 hedge rows and the rear fence it would be nice to have them back as reference for the new fence im going to put up next year.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:02 PM

43 posts, read 175,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by area201 View Post
I like this guy... he would give all info you need over the phone...unlike some others....Alan at 908 222-9966 or Frank at 732 339-9350.. I will share my exp once my survey is done!
Do they also do Elevation Certificates? How was your experience with them? Which one did you pick?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:49 PM

1 posts, read 10,370 times
Default Survey Costs Long and Short

In response to the original Post to this thread.

Here's an anecdote about the major costs associated with a property transaction that may put things in perspective for you. Your property may or may not been changing hands, but please don't think there isn't any relevance in this post to your situation.

I may not be an "old timer", but here's some background data for the record. I've been practicing land surveying for 15 years, am licensed in two states, own two homes and have helped many 1st time developers with residential properties. I've been fortunate enough to have done this across 8 states throughout my "short" career. I am writing this with all of these perspectives in mind.

As a homeowner, I personally think anything to do with the house that costs over a $100 bucks is too much, but here's the rub about most residential property transactions to get back to the anecdote and put this "survey cost" back into perspective:

How much is a Realtor paid for their services?
I have found that in the good AND bad times 6-7% of the sale price of your home goes to a Realtor (or is split among 2 Realtors) for their efforts in a property transaction (on average).
When the sale is done, that's usually the last most people see of them.

Title insurance is also required by the majority of the States to protect the Mortgagor.
This one gets the buyer AND seller for approximately 0.4% to 0.8% of the sale price, although it doesn't offer much protection to homeowner themselves.
When the transaction is done, that's the last most people see of this one too.
Ask an attorney how often they have heard of a Title Company being sued by a homeowner and have to pay any related damages on personal residential property.

Homeowners insurance is another cost that depends upon the property location, but that isn't the point. A homeowner is required to pay that one EVERY year. It generally goes UP every year too with rare exceptions. Now look at what your deductible is should you need to make a claim. It could be more than the cost of the survey that started this thread.

For the survey cost relevancy of this anecdote:
I feel your pain because I live it everyday while trying to educate a client as to what goes into the cost of a survey. The business expenses that we bear in the Surveying profession (equipment, education, employees) really don't matter to you or to Mr. & Mrs. Smith and they shouldn’t. That’s our burden. Ideally you just want a bottom line as to what will be the least amount of money you’ll have to pay for this survey after the other BIG property transaction costs I mentioned above take a chunk out of the old pocket book.

A survey really isn't an item that you want to get at the "quickie mart" because it's cheap.
That’s a no-no even for general consumer goods. You want to get a survey from someone or some business that stacks as many of the odds in your favor as possible.
Unlike the Realtors, Title Company and Insurance Company, we as licensed individuals AND survey business take liability from you that we carry until the statutes of limitations run out (where I am licensed, that is 7 years and 5 years AFTER the survey was performed and delivered.) We are "Certifying" that we have performed our work in accordance with applicable State Laws. Basically, we are saying that for this fee of $650 (or whatever the actual charge is) if we made an error you have recourse through the law up to the amount that you depended upon the survey to make an improvement or that your reliance on that survey has caused actual damages (to yourself or others). You may want to inquire with your local surveyor just what kind of liability that they are accepting for your survey from a liability standpoint. For the record, I'm pretty certain you don't get THAT right or odds from a Realtor or Title Insurance.

$650 is really darn cheap for several hours of fieldwork, several hours of office work and several YEARS worth of protection. By the way, IF the original 0.9 acre property were sold for $100,000, your survey isn't even 0.1% of the cost (0.07% rounded). As a freebie, if you spend the few extra dollars and record the survey map/plot it at your county or parish’ official records/registers office, you’ll never have to worry about “finding” that copy of your survey that you “tucked away” for safekeeping.

I know this was long, but hopefully it gives you an idea where surveying fees come from (generally speaking). I also hope that your initial question was answers (and any one else's similar question) although we are 2 years past the date of the original post.

If anyone else out there would like to copy and paste the contents of this post, please feel free to pass along the knowledge.

Rob Duranczyk, PS, PSM

Old 01-21-2009, 12:37 PM

563 posts, read 1,286,212 times
When we purchased our house a couple of months back, there was a drawing attached to the survey with the measurements of the property, how many feet from eachside of the house. The surveyer asked for $100 per marker, and at that time we didn't think it was necessary.
I am thinking to take a good quality measuring tape and and put the markers in myself (once the snow melts). The property is about 100X150, from the drawing, the property edge appears parallel to the building walls.
Not down to the millimeter, but I should be able to get fairly accurate corners that way.
cheers

Old 01-21-2009, 12:52 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,514,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDuranczyk View Post
In response to the original Post to this thread.

Here's an anecdote about the major costs associated with a property transaction that may put things in perspective for you. Your property may or may not been changing hands, but please don't think there isn't any relevance in this post to your situation.

I may not be an "old timer", but here's some background data for the record. I've been practicing land surveying for 15 years, am licensed in two states, own two homes and have helped many 1st time developers with residential properties. I've been fortunate enough to have done this across 8 states throughout my "short" career. I am writing this with all of these perspectives in mind.

As a homeowner, I personally think anything to do with the house that costs over a $100 bucks is too much, but here's the rub about most residential property transactions to get back to the anecdote and put this "survey cost" back into perspective:

How much is a Realtor paid for their services?
I have found that in the good AND bad times 6-7% of the sale price of your home goes to a Realtor (or is split among 2 Realtors) for their efforts in a property transaction (on average).
When the sale is done, that's usually the last most people see of them.

Title insurance is also required by the majority of the States to protect the Mortgagor.
This one gets the buyer AND seller for approximately 0.4% to 0.8% of the sale price, although it doesn't offer much protection to homeowner themselves.
When the transaction is done, that's the last most people see of this one too.
Ask an attorney how often they have heard of a Title Company being sued by a homeowner and have to pay any related damages on personal residential property.

Homeowners insurance is another cost that depends upon the property location, but that isn't the point. A homeowner is required to pay that one EVERY year. It generally goes UP every year too with rare exceptions. Now look at what your deductible is should you need to make a claim. It could be more than the cost of the survey that started this thread.

For the survey cost relevancy of this anecdote:
I feel your pain because I live it everyday while trying to educate a client as to what goes into the cost of a survey. The business expenses that we bear in the Surveying profession (equipment, education, employees) really don't matter to you or to Mr. & Mrs. Smith and they shouldn’t. That’s our burden. Ideally you just want a bottom line as to what will be the least amount of money you’ll have to pay for this survey after the other BIG property transaction costs I mentioned above take a chunk out of the old pocket book.

A survey really isn't an item that you want to get at the "quickie mart" because it's cheap.
That’s a no-no even for general consumer goods. You want to get a survey from someone or some business that stacks as many of the odds in your favor as possible.
Unlike the Realtors, Title Company and Insurance Company, we as licensed individuals AND survey business take liability from you that we carry until the statutes of limitations run out (where I am licensed, that is 7 years and 5 years AFTER the survey was performed and delivered.) We are "Certifying" that we have performed our work in accordance with applicable State Laws. Basically, we are saying that for this fee of $650 (or whatever the actual charge is) if we made an error you have recourse through the law up to the amount that you depended upon the survey to make an improvement or that your reliance on that survey has caused actual damages (to yourself or others). You may want to inquire with your local surveyor just what kind of liability that they are accepting for your survey from a liability standpoint. For the record, I'm pretty certain you don't get THAT right or odds from a Realtor or Title Insurance.

$650 is really darn cheap for several hours of fieldwork, several hours of office work and several YEARS worth of protection. By the way, IF the original 0.9 acre property were sold for $100,000, your survey isn't even 0.1% of the cost (0.07% rounded). As a freebie, if you spend the few extra dollars and record the survey map/plot it at your county or parish’ official records/registers office, you’ll never have to worry about “finding” that copy of your survey that you “tucked away” for safekeeping.

I know this was long, but hopefully it gives you an idea where surveying fees come from (generally speaking). I also hope that your initial question was answers (and any one else's similar question) although we are 2 years past the date of the original post.

If anyone else out there would like to copy and paste the contents of this post, please feel free to pass along the knowledge.

Rob Duranczyk, PS, PSM
I agree with the title insurance, I looked deep into this and its horse crap. I bought one house flat out 90 percent cash and refused to get it and there was nothing they could do, smart move, its bull, useless scam. The second home I had no choice too many contractors fixed the house up top to bottom and the mechanics leans were what scared me. If he had the work done 3 or more years ago, I would have refused title insurance again paid cash flat out on this house and they still hound you to get it. This is such a raquette. It does nothing, it a big scam. Funny I swear to God , these people all in this business were really giving me a hard time on the not getting title Insurance. I stick to my guns its a waste of money and some scam some one came up with.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I agree with the title insurance, I looked deep into this and its horse crap. I bought one house flat out 90 percent cash and refused to get it and there was nothing they could do, smart move, its bull, useless scam. The second home I had no choice too many contractors fixed the house up top to bottom and the mechanics leans were what scared me. If he had the work done 3 or more years ago, I would have refused title insurance again paid cash flat out on this house and they still hound you to get it. This is such a raquette. It does nothing, it a big scam. Funny I swear to God , these people all in this business were really giving me a hard time on the not getting title Insurance. I stick to my guns its a waste of money and some scam some one came up with.
I buy the title ins. because I typically buy "new construction" and the chances of there being a lien on the property are high...subcontractors, suppliers, employees of the builder, etc. But it is a very profitable business - who does anyone know who ever had to file a claim with their title ins co???? Big fat "0"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey