Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 04:51 PM

4,284 posts, read 10,726,711 times

Advertisements

40 percent of all N.J. cigarettes smuggled into state illegally | NJ.com

Quote:
About 40 percent of all cigarettes smoked in New Jersey are smuggled into the state illegally — the highest percentage of any state in the nation — resulting in a loss of more than $500 million in uncollected tax revenue each year, according to a report obtained by The Star-Ledger.

The reason is hardly surprising: New Jersey levels a $2.70 tax on each pack of cigarettes sold, one of the highest rates in the nation.
Tax is too high so people will just stock up elsewhere, purchase over the internet, or on the "black market"

Even a lot of retailers sell them from out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,811,208 times
i remember just a few years ago, i'd bring cartons in for friends. $20!i was like the cigarette santa claus

Old 09-07-2011, 05:00 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,736,985 times
I'm not surprised! Why wouldn't people try to save a few bucks if they could?

Old 09-07-2011, 06:16 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,145,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I'm not surprised! Why wouldn't people try to save a few bucks if they could?
...for something that will surely kill them.

Yes, I guess that it is a good idea to pay less for an addiction that inevitably leads to incredible damage to one's heart, lungs, and circulatory system.

Why anyone continues to smoke in this day and age is something that is beyond my comprehension.
My parents, and my brother, all quit--"cold turkey"--about 30 years ago, and they reported only mild discomfort for the first 24 hours. After the first 24 hours, it was not a very bad experience. And, they never slipped back into tobacco addiction.

As long as someone has determination to rid himself/herself of this addiction, it can be done, and it is not as difficult as is sometimes claimed.

It all comes down to...resolve...personal conviction...and the ability to defer gratification.
If nothing else, visualizing yourself hooked up to a respirator and being unable to speak--while your family looks on helplessly as you slip into unconsciousness--should give you some motivation to give up this expensive and pointless addiction.

Old 09-07-2011, 06:51 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,298,983 times
It may be, but it sounds a bit over-the-top. I don't believe the reality is that extreme. I suspect the statistics were cooked to appear as extreme as possible.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,020,284 times
So how do I cut out the retail middleman and get these contraband smokes firsthand without having to pay NJ's tax on top of it? I need to make a few calls...

Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,466,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
40 percent of all N.J. cigarettes smuggled into state illegally | NJ.com

Tax is too high so people will just stock up elsewhere, purchase over the internet, or on the "black market"

Even a lot of retailers sell them from out of state.
The 2nd time that McGreevey hiked the cigarette tax to balance the budget, I discovered that the cost in Delaware isn't too much higher than NC. Plus, since it's right next door so it's not a big deal to go down & get 4 cartons (the legal limit) so they might be off on illegality, but they are probably dead on with cigarettes brought into the state.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:24 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,499,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
...for something that will surely kill them.

Yes, I guess that it is a good idea to pay less for an addiction that inevitably leads to incredible damage to one's heart, lungs, and circulatory system.
thats not really relevant. these people made the horrible decision to smoke, so may as well get it for as low a price as possible. tax increases have a tendency to not bring in as much revenue as the government anticipated. oh but they spent based on the projection, not actual revenue so that new revenue just increased the budget deficit.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:56 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,466,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
thats not really relevant. these people made the horrible decision to smoke, so may as well get it for as low a price as possible. tax increases have a tendency to not bring in as much revenue as the government anticipated. oh but they spent based on the projection, not actual revenue so that new revenue just increased the budget deficit.
Yup. Not only are cigarettes much cheaper in Delaware, but there's no sales tax, period. That's what they get for ignoring South Jersey. It's fast & easy to get to Delaware from most of South Jersey.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 AM

50,186 posts, read 35,859,235 times
I would like to know what they consider "smuggled into the state illegally". My mom is in the hospital in NE, while in Philly I bought 2 packs of cigs...did I "smuggle them into NJ" when I crossed the bridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey