Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,929 times

Advertisements

Folks,

Am moving to New Jersey this weekend and want your help/suggestions on the below points please:

1. Am put up at somerset in a hotel for 14 days - How do I go house hunting for rent?

2. How do you travel around somerset - Can you advice if there any cab service (if yes need some numbers/website/names) and any public transport available?

3. What is the avg rent for a 1-BR in these areas(Edison/New Burnswick/Piscataway). Want a safe area since will be travelling and my family might be alone for 1-2 weeks.

4. I will be travelling to NY - how do I get a pass for NJT? Are there seperate passes for light rail/metor line and bus services?

Regards
Manu
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 05:10 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engr.manu View Post
Folks,

Am moving to New Jersey this weekend and want your help/suggestions on the below points please:

1. Am put up at somerset in a hotel for 14 days - How do I go house hunting for rent?

2. How do you travel around somerset - Can you advice if there any cab service (if yes need some numbers/website/names) and any public transport available?

3. What is the avg rent for a 1-BR in these areas(Edison/New Burnswick/Piscataway). Want a safe area since will be travelling and my family might be alone for 1-2 weeks.

4. I will be travelling to NY - how do I get a pass for NJT? Are there seperate passes for light rail/metor line and bus services?

Regards
Manu
Well, I found out that there's a route called "DAS", and the map is one here: NJ Bus Map for Hunterdon, Middlesex, Monmouth, and Somerset Counties. I think the fare is $1 and it runs every 30 minutes.

As far as passes go, you can buy a pass at the train station. It will be good on buses as well as the light rail lines.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:00 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,370 times
Quote:
Folks,

Welcome!

Quote:
In terms of house hunting, a lot depends upon what you are comfortable in doing. You can use websites like New Jersey Houses for Rent | Find Houses in New Jersey | RentalHomesPlus.com to find houses or you can go with realtors in the area.

Quote:
Car service is available through cab companies. My suggestion is to check with the front desk of your hotel for information on services they have used in the past. In terms of public transportation, if you are in one of the hotels along Worlds Fair Drive, I am not aware of buses that run in that area. However, you should check with the front desk or concierge to see if the hotel offers courtesy transportation into New Brunswick to the train station where you can get the train into NYC.

Quote:
This completely depends on the area of each township. For example, North Edison is going to be much more pricey than the southern portion of Edison.

Quote:
You can buy monthly passes for the trains at the New Brunswick Train Station. You can also buy passes that are mailed to you online and obtain more information on NJ Transit passes here.

Coach USA services the area from stops in New Brunswick to NYC. You can get more information here about their service, routes, and ticketing.

I hope this helps.

Old 09-11-2011, 04:51 PM

264 posts, read 606,133 times
I hope you are planning on getting a car. There are a couple of cab companies near New Brunswick station, search online, but I'm guessing one way ride from the train station to the hotel could be $11 or $12. Even if you figure out your cab ride to the station (and it is expensive!) you'll need a car for getting around. All of these areas are safe and many NYC commuters live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey