U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2007, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 5,813 times

Advertisements

My father lives in Burlington County. He needs to begin a second round of quite aggressive chemo treatments. Several months ago when he went through this, dad was in no condition to drive. His wife does not drive and there is no one else. I live out of state (11 hour drive) and would like to set up transportation to and from his treatments. Treatments are scheduled for once a week for at least one month. I know Ocean County has something called the Ocean Ride that is used for this purpose. I was hoping that someone might have some advice or recommendations for us.
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 07:22 AM

5,544 posts, read 12,015,885 times
This webite list senior services in Ocean County.
Office of Senior Services Programs at a Glance (broken link)
TRANSPORTATION SERVICES
Van service is available Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. for older persons who have no other means of transportation. It is necessary to call Senior Services, 494-8861, one day in advance to reserve a seat on the van. The vans transport clients to the Center. Although there is no charge for this service, voluntary contributions are accepted.
A lift-equipped van is available to transport wheelchair- bound clients to the center on specified days. Call Senior Services for details.
In addition, Senior Services coordinates a van service, provided by the Ocean County Transportation Department, for Long Beach Island residents for medical appointments and shopping trips. Please contact Senior Services at least two days in advance to reserve a seat on this vehicle. This service operates Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.

You might check with the facility where his chemo is being given. I have gone through chemo and it is very difficult. My thoughts are with you.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:42 AM

Default Thanks Ellwood

I might have confused you though. The treatments are in Burlington County. Do you have any leads for me there? I used to live in Ocean County, a very long time ago.
We will donate generously to whatever service we find if it is low cost or no cost. Thanks for that info too. The advice to contact the hospital is a great idea. I will do it today. Thank you again, for your help , advice and thoughts. I will keep you in my thoughts as well.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:30 AM

5,544 posts, read 12,015,885 times
Sorry jocomom, I didn't notice the Burlington County. Definitely check with the hospital, specifically in the oncology office. Also try:
Transportation for the Elderly/Disabled
800-836-0580; 609-265-5109

(See BURLINK (Burlington County Transportation System))
A free service (only within Burlington Co.) for senior citizens (60+), or persons with disabilities (21+), who reside in the county. An application must be filled out to prove eligibility. Service is available 8:30AM to 4:30PM. M/T/Th: medical days; M/F: local shopping and business appointments; W: malls.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:00 PM

6,045 posts, read 20,250,244 times
The social worker at his chemo site (most sites have at least one) should also be able to provide information. The American Cancer Society has volunteer transportation available for many areas of NJ as well. Best of luck.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:19 PM

[SIZE=3]Thank you both for the very helpful information. This is a difficult time in our lives and your time and thoughts really warmed my soul. The (your) simple act of kindness/consideration from strangers really does go a long way. Thank you again.[/SIZE]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey