Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 07:20 AM

296 posts, read 638,297 times

Advertisements

noticed when i visit N.J. people seem to stay home and eat. in Georgia everyone goes out to eat. in some parts of south Jersey there seemed to be hardly any places to eat, except for one chinese buffet i think near Red Bank that had an hour or more wait. is this the norm? people just traditionaly do home cooked meals? is eating out becoming more of a trend? anyones thoughts..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 07:41 AM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Really???

On Friday and Saturday nights in NJ, hardly a restaurant doesn't have a wait to get in.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:45 AM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
In what decade did you visit New Jersey? Red Bank may have been a bit shy on restuarants prior to the 1960s. Today, there are more places to eat out in Red Bank than there are days in a month: Red Bank Restaurants - Eat at a restaurant in Red Bank New Jersey

Affordability may be a bigger reason why people eat at home more often in NJ. For curiosity's sake, do you notice lower prices at Georgia restaurants compared to New Jersey eateries?

Old 09-10-2011, 08:30 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
In what decade did you visit New Jersey? Red Bank may have been a bit shy on restuarants prior to the 1960s. Today, there are more places to eat out in Red Bank than there are days in a month: Red Bank Restaurants - Eat at a restaurant in Red Bank New Jersey

Affordability may be a bigger reason why people eat at home more often in NJ. For curiosity's sake, do you notice lower prices at Georgia restaurants compared to New Jersey eateries?
Really, what a bizarre statement. I live near Red Bank, and there are tons of restaurants all over this area. As a matter of fact, I ate at my favorite place, Sallie Tee's in Monmouth County, the Thursday just before Irene got here and destroyed it. They are going to gut it and reopen, though it will take months.

I don't know about Georgia, but when I used to go to Florida a lot to visit family, people went out to eat all the time simply because it was so cheap. Perhaps that's the difference. I eat cheaply at home most of the time so that I can go out to dinner at a restaurant from time to time without going broke.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:37 AM

19,114 posts, read 25,309,475 times
You can count this as one more vote for...When did the OP last visit NJ?

NJ is no different from any other state in the US at this point, and locals eat out as often as they can afford to. With the current economic climate, it is likely that restaurant-going has dropped-off in NJ, but undoubtedly the same could be said for most areas of the country.

I eat out once a week--on average--and I don't think that I am very different from most folks in this region. And, as someone else already pointed out, if you go to virtually any restaurant in NJ on a Friday or Saturday night, there will be a line waiting to be seated.

I don't know what the OP is basing his/her observations on, but it certainly isn't reality.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:39 AM

80 posts, read 191,889 times
More places to eat around here (Red Bank area) than I can shake a stick at.

We prefer to eat at home most nights. Of course we're both former chefs so anything we make at home is as good or better than what we can get eating out.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:40 AM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
Well, when you say "some parts of South Jersey" that are near RED BANK, which towns are you talking about, exactly? (Actually, not that it really matters, but I'm pretty sure that Red Bank and the surrounding areas are Central Jersey not South Jersey.)

But I can't think of any towns in Central Jersey that hardly have any places to eat. There ARE some very rural, desolate towns in NJ in some of the more rural counties in South Jersey (real South Jersey...not the Red Bank area)...I'm thinking the likes of some parts of Burlington County...and even in North Jersey...e.g., Warren County.

But everywhere else at least has one diner, a chain restaurant and a pizza joint, lol. If you're talking specifically about Red Bank--that place is kind of a hotspot for cool restaurants and such.

As far as the dining habits of NJ people go, in general, I think it's safe to say that in your average, family-oriented suburb, most people will dine out only on a Friday or Saturday night...and probably not EVERY week. In hip, urban centers there will be a young crowd and/or a yuppie population that dines out a lot more often for socialization purposes.

Me, personally--I USED TO eat out more frequently (but even then, mostly just on Friday and Saturday nights). Now, it's only on special occasions like a birthday or something like that. It's definitely a money thing, but also a can't-be-bothered thing. And partly, it's a "I watch a lot of Food Network and I like to play chef" thing. (I think I should be commended for manfully eating the plates of hot mess I cook up.) But sometimes, if I want restaurant food I'll get it to go to eat in the peace and quiet of my own house. Maybe I'm just lazy, though. I feel like if I go out to eat, I have to fix my hair, find an outfit that isn't pajamas, and find a pair of shoes that aren't flip flops.

Too. Much. Work.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:53 AM

296 posts, read 638,297 times
i visited last about two years ago...should have specified i was speaking of during the week. course fridays and saturdays will be busy. dont know where that buffet was i just thought we were near Red Bank..there was a theater and (odd) a funeral home in the same parking lot. down here people eat out 3 or more times a week easy. it seems to be cheaper to eat out at the fast food places. the next level up- t.g.i's, cracker barrels, applebee's get plenty of business also specially with coupons. hoping this explanation will calm down some of you!! the main thing was i just noticed this difference and was wondering why.maybe you guys pay all your money to property taxes, maybe its tradition to stay home, i dont know. i did notice that the people of N.j. are healthier looking. here the majority are obese.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:58 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
Well, when you say "some parts of South Jersey" that are near RED BANK, which towns are you talking about, exactly? (Actually, not that it really matters, but I'm pretty sure that Red Bank and the surrounding areas are Central Jersey not South Jersey.)

But I can't think of any towns in Central Jersey that hardly have any places to eat. There ARE some very rural, desolate towns in NJ in some of the more rural counties in South Jersey (real South Jersey...not the Red Bank area)...I'm thinking the likes of some parts of Burlington County...and even in North Jersey...e.g., Warren County.

But everywhere else at least has one diner, a chain restaurant and a pizza joint, lol. If you're talking specifically about Red Bank--that place is kind of a hotspot for cool restaurants and such.

As far as the dining habits of NJ people go, in general, I think it's safe to say that in your average, family-oriented suburb, most people will dine out only on a Friday or Saturday night...and probably not EVERY week. In hip, urban centers there will be a young crowd and/or a yuppie population that dines out a lot more often for socialization purposes.

Me, personally--I USED TO eat out more frequently (but even then, mostly just on Friday and Saturday nights). Now, it's only on special occasions like a birthday or something like that. It's definitely a money thing, but also a can't-be-bothered thing. And partly, it's a "I watch a lot of Food Network and I like to play chef" thing. (I think I should be commended for manfully eating the plates of hot mess I cook up.) But sometimes, if I want restaurant food I'll get it to go to eat in the peace and quiet of my own house. Maybe I'm just lazy, though. I feel like if I go out to eat, I have to fix my hair, find an outfit that isn't pajamas, and find a pair of shoes that aren't flip flops.

Too. Much. Work.
LOL, I meant to say that, too, and forgot to include it in my post. I don't consider where we live (I'm fewer than ten minutes from Red Bank) SOUTH Jersey. We are central. Then again, I used to have a coworker who lived in Oakland and complained about having to "go all the way to South Jersey" to visit her brother. Who lived in Edison. And I once met a guy in Atlantic City who told me he had been to North Jersey--Forked River. Too many people are geographically challenged.

I'm thinking about splurging on a nice steak dinner tonight myself, in the comfort of my own home, in my plaid jammie pants, hehehe. I've got corn and tomatoes and other salad stuff from the local farm. Just need the steak. Alas, I shall have to comb my hair and put on clothing to go to the supermarket, but at least I won't have to leave anyone a tip after dinner.

Old 09-10-2011, 09:26 AM

32,919 posts, read 36,316,341 times
When the only restaurant in town is a Chinese buffet, the wait will be long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey