Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 PM

271 posts, read 417,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
No, New York has a low crime rate because it's really safer there than Newark. As a whole, the Bronx is safer than Essex County; Hudson County is about the same as the Bronx. You can do the math yourself on your particular proposed Greater Newark; I think you'll find the crime rate is still enough to put it in the top 50.
newark averages between 60-100 murders so ill say 85 + 15 ( eo) +7(onge)+ 1(bmfd) +0 (belle) +23(irv), hillside didnt have a crime rate on this site so ill give it 10, 143 . atl is around 120... its still a tough city but it has its bright spots now... as crime turns into id theft more and more crime rates will drop anyway. Could i get someone here to put a stamp on Newark(East Orange, South Orange, Bloomfield, Belleville, Orange, Irvington, and hillside? If i started a petition would anyone here consider saying they approve this message even if you dont have to sign it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
No, New York has a low crime rate because it's really safer there than Newark. As a whole, the Bronx is safer than Essex County; Hudson County is about the same as the Bronx. You can do the math yourself on your particular proposed Greater Newark; I think you'll find the crime rate is still enough to put it in the top 50.
the funny thing is the the government promises people a safe neighborhood and really what does that mean. Manhattan doesn't have a lot of crime but at one point 3k people died in one day... lets not pretend that anyone is concerned about crime that doesn't happen to them because if that was the case crime would have been stomped out. The whole reason to avoid a dangerous neighborhood isnt to make it safer its to " protect yourself" but guess what there is no such that as true safety in this world. at any point in time we can be destroyed and wiped of the map . To say this place is more dangerous than that place is amazing stupid because if a tree falls on your house and kills you, you are just as dead if " the boogyman" comes to get you. Miami has an amazingly high crime rate and yet people still save for months to be able to visit Miami. We live in an overweight and increasingly digital society so lets be truthful chances are that even if the averaged person moved to Newark, they are going to work, they are going home. To say I'm wrong , ignores that fact that "suburbs" exists in the first place. To commute to work, commute back home ..spend an extra 10-15 hours a week doing so. Do you really think that the moment you walk into Newark they have snipers on the roof at every entrance. If its so bad that every there dies, no one would be there to tell you about how bad it is. even with 143 murders out of 400k people leaves you with less than a 1 percent chance that you will me murdered on any given day. But no one says don't go to Newark less than 1 in 3000 people get killed. "They say don't go to Newark because youll get killed" as if they went, got killed, and then came back from the grave to let you know why they died. Crime happens on earth. Columbine was a small and peaceful town but crime still rocked it. crime happens on earth. Can your city support the infrastructure that a major city offers on its own? i got news for you. Your town isnt known outside of the area anyway. If i got to Kenosha and say im from west orange the next question will be wheres that. If your town goes threw the process of picking the right leaders why would that decision making disappear later? Hire good district leaders and guess what politics is dog eat dog.. If a community leader find out that a mayor is corrupt, Why not blow the whistle and become the next mayor.

I come at you with facts! and numbers to support those facts, ive seen a lot of sort of general statements from you regarding newark so heres my challange to you. What is a logical, practical way to get Newark back on track. No answers like " blow it up" because thats more crime than happens in newark and speak tons on character. What is a way that Newark can rebound?

Old 10-02-2012, 10:23 AM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
And if you mean TV media, forget about it; there aren't any over the air channels even available.
Are you talking about network affiliates or actual frequency allocation? There is plenty of "space" left for new channels since the switch to digital a couple years ago so I'm assuming you mean network affiliates. In that case, take Connecticut as an example. On top of stations in Hartford and New Haven, parts of Connecticut also receive NYC and Springfield stations. In Howard County, MD and the MD Eastern Shore, people get both Baltimore and DC news. Within NJ, the south shore gets both NBC10 (Philly) and NBC40 (AC). So there is a precedent for having overlapping network affiliates.

Quote:
Yeah, diluting the crime rate by adding Millburn to Newark: Not fooling anyone. And it doesn't work well either; the per-capita crime rate for Essex County as a whole is quite bad, because Essex County is dominated by Newark, Irvington, E.O., and Orange. Add that to your list of problems getting people to move into town.
So it seems like even with Essex County's bad crime rate, your property values are doing fine. Why would that suddenly change just because your town is now part of Newark. For example, Maplewood's mailing address would still be Maplewood, regardless of whether or not it's now part of Newark. The former town, now a neighborhood, would continue to maintain it's upscale reputation and name.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:38 PM

402 posts, read 752,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWK student rapper View Post
newark averages between 60-100 murders so ill say 85 + 15 ( eo) +7(onge)+ 1(bmfd) +0 (belle) +23(irv), hillside didnt have a crime rate on this site so ill give it 10, 143 . atl is around 120... its still a tough city but it has its bright spots now... as crime turns into id theft more and more crime rates will drop anyway. Could i get someone here to put a stamp on Newark(East Orange, South Orange, Bloomfield, Belleville, Orange, Irvington, and hillside? If i started a petition would anyone here consider saying they approve this message even if you dont have to sign it
I approve. Next we can work on south jersey. I propose merging cherry hill,pennsauken,Camden,collingswood,woodlynne,hadd onfield,haddon township,Gloucester city into one city.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
You forgot Orange (30,314), which makes it 425,650 to 323,280. Although I'd like you see you pitch this proposal to the residents of Millburn, Livingston, and Essex Fells.

And you think a greater Newark is going to be less expensive, resident for resident, for police and fire services than the towns of western Essex are now? Color me dubious.

Again, you're concentrating on what Newark "needs". Newark "needing" more middle-class $$ is exactly why any consolidation is a bad idea for the suburbs. We don't want to be piggy banks for Newark politicians.
1. I didn't include Orange because even though its median income is lower than West Essex, it's still much higher than EO/Irv/Newark, and its political landscape is not always aligned with its eastern counterparts (probably due to registered folks in its more affluent areas).

Why would I pitch the proposal to the towns you mention? Are we not speaking hypothetically? I would of thought it established (and obvious for that matter) that none of these proposals would ever happen in reality.

2. Of course it would be cheaper. Why? Many of the West Essex towns can barely afford their services now (and that goes beyond simple taxes paid to urban districts). A town of 20-30k having police chiefs, fire chiefs, etc. would be no more. Overhead would be eliminated.

3. The Newark 'needs middle-class' statement was a whole other post. I said Newark needs more middle-class...in its CURRENT configuration. Consolidation would completely eliminate that.

Old 10-02-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Saying New York is safer than Newark really is too general a statement because NY's huge size leaves a lot to be compared (as in, there are plenty of places in NY that are just like Newark and worse. Someone wouldn't be more safe in parts of Bk,Bx just because NY is safer)

Your 'as a whole' statement with the Bronx is a better approach IMO.

Crime-wise, Essex county is number 7 in the state, which, all things considered, does not mean it has a high crime rate (NJ is one of the safest states). How does that translate to top 50 for crime in the US?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:26 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Are you talking about network affiliates or actual frequency allocation? There is plenty of "space" left for new channels since the switch to digital a couple years ago
There are no frequencies available; the digital switch also took away all channels above 54, and the FCC is trying to take away more.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:37 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
1. I didn't include Orange because even though its median income is lower than West Essex, it's still much higher than EO/Irv/Newark, and its political landscape is not always aligned with its eastern counterparts (probably due to registered folks in its more affluent areas).
Orange is slightly poorer and higher in crime than East Orange.

Quote:
2. Of course it would be cheaper. Why? Many of the West Essex towns can barely afford their services now (and that goes beyond simple taxes paid to urban districts). A town of 20-30k having police chiefs, fire chiefs, etc. would be no more. Overhead would be eliminated.
So we fire one fire chief and one police chief per town consolidated. Doesn't really seem like massive savings to me.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:

So we fire one fire chief and one police chief per town consolidated. Doesn't really seem like massive savings to me.
Instead of 30 people making 6 figures, one police force one fire department one board of education, one public health department all the paper work they require, the desk jobs that they need to run the town. 1 unified movement If you think the only thing your taxes go to is paying for your own top cop and fire chief than i can understand why you would you would feel like it wouldnt save you money but think of it like this why are montclairs taxes higher than bergenfields(not suggesting montclair still) ... i think nex said it best... hoodlums dont vote so the western side would have the bigger voter turn out and in turn the bigger voice..

Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:

1. Actually, East Orange is slightly poorer, but I was talking the combined average of EO/Irv/Nwk (I was using them as a collective, but I should have said that)

Wasn't really ever referring to crime on the singular.

2. I kind of thought it was obvious that we were talking about all of a city/town's services, not just police/fire (which were just single examples). EVERYTHING taxes pay for, including school districts, sanitation, park services, recycling etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey