Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2011, 12:03 AM

376 posts, read 662,452 times

Advertisements

and i'm not just talking about some of the bad neighborhoods in newark, irvington, elizabeth, camden, trenton etc.

over the summertime, my mom and me were driving to some place outside of wayne or paterson for something. we were driving past the same area in paterson over this bridge on the passaic river, i think, right by those two high rises. (you may have seen on the news of that area because it's currently flooded over) we drove up the hill to the supposed suburbian area and i thought i was in jamaica all over again. the houses, the yards, the roads seemed run down and this isn't a poor neighborhood either. i was kind of creeped out for a second. it looked no different than the countryside of jamaica. in fact, the houses on the hill in that suburb looked like cheap slum housing compared to the houses on the countryside in jamaica.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 12:32 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,749,800 times
Troll....and a bad one at that...

Old 09-13-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Troll....and a bad one at that...

i'm NOT trolling. i'm DEAD serious. please save that bs for something else. just because you haven't had the opportunity to fly outside the country to see what a third world country looks like doesn't give you the right to come and ruin my thread. i'm not apologizing for having stamps in my passport. how about you save all that train and bus fare you waste going sightseeing in new jersey up for a vacation one time to columbia, jamaica, or a foreign destination and see the world outside america for once instead of judging the world from your computer.

Old 09-13-2011, 01:49 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,749,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
i'm NOT trolling. i'm DEAD serious. please save that bs for something else. just because you haven't had the opportunity to fly outside the country to see what a third world country looks like doesn't give you the right to come and ruin my thread. i'm not apologizing for having stamps in my passport. how about you save all that train and bus fare you waste going sightseeing in new jersey up for a vacation one time to columbia, jamaica, or a foreign destination and see the world outside america for once instead of judging the world from your computer.
Columbia has some nice areas and some bad areas , I wouldn't call any part of Urban Jersey as bad as the slums overseas. Ive seen the bad pictures of India and Brazil , so i do know what goes on over there. And Paterson's worst areas don't even come close to the slums of India. Irvington and Camden do , but that's about it , if your comparing the slums overseas to Urban Jersey. Ive been to Canada....there are places up there that are ugly and crime infested like down here....

Cascadia Region < 2015
Minneapolis and Chicago
The Prairie provinces
California
Alaska
Japan
Australia
New Zealand
Chile
Brazil
Argentina
Columbia
Mexico
Spain
Switzerland
Majorca
The Baltic States
Scandinavia
British Isles
Germany
The Low Countries
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Beijing
Western Russia
Morocco
South Africa
Mumbai
New Delhi
Calcutta
Malaysia
Singapore
Dubai
Qatar
Kuwait
Cairo

Those are all the places i want to visit in my lifetime...

Old 09-13-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Columbia has some nice areas and some bad areas , I wouldn't call any part of Urban Jersey as bad as the slums overseas. Ive seen the bad pictures of India and Brazil , so i do know what goes on over there. And Paterson's worst areas don't even come close to the slums of India. Irvington and Camden do , but that's about it , if your comparing the slums overseas to Urban Jersey. Ive been to Canada....there are places up there that are ugly and crime infested like down here....

Cascadia Region < 2015
Minneapolis and Chicago
The Prairie provinces
California
Alaska
Japan
Australia
New Zealand
Chile
Brazil
Argentina
Columbia
Mexico
Spain
Switzerland
Majorca
The Baltic States
Scandinavia
British Isles
Germany
The Low Countries
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Beijing
Western Russia
Morocco
South Africa
Mumbai
New Delhi
Calcutta
Malaysia
Singapore
Dubai
Qatar
Kuwait
Cairo

Those are all the places i want to visit in my lifetime...
when you look @ the living conditions such as the ghetto in newark and the ghettos of kingston, i don't think it makes any sense to compare them. regardless, they both are places that most people would choose not to live. what i was saying was that the area outside of paterson looked reminded me of the countrysides in jamaica the way the houses were layed out on the road with no sidewalks and how the roads were dirty, not so much of how the living conditions were.

Last edited by the nation is still angry; 09-13-2011 at 02:22 AM..

Old 09-13-2011, 08:58 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,329,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the nation is still angry View Post
when you look @ the living conditions such as the ghetto in newark and the ghettos of kingston, i don't think it makes any sense to compare them. regardless, they both are places that most people would choose not to live. what i was saying was that the area outside of paterson looked reminded me of the countrysides in jamaica the way the houses were layed out on the road with no sidewalks and how the roads were dirty, not so much of how the living conditions were.
houses pressed right up against major highways are often less desireable. i don't think that makes it anything similar to a third world country though. sorry, but i think you're the one who may need to get out a bit more if you really believe having a roof built out of real building materials is even remotely similar to what exists in third world countries.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:23 AM

469 posts, read 1,635,017 times
Not everyone is a troll if they disagree. It sounds very uneducated to say that. This poster has a point.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 AM

293 posts, read 717,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
houses pressed right up against major highways are often less desireable. i don't think that makes it anything similar to a third world country though. sorry, but i think you're the one who may need to get out a bit more if you really believe having a roof built out of real building materials is even remotely similar to what exists in third world countries.
The original poster is not merely talking about architecture or zone planning. He/she does have a very good point in that many areas in Jersey do resemble the living conditions of many thirld world countries. I know because I was born and raised in one. When you go to Paterson, Perth Amboy, Washington Heights in NYC, or Carteret, there is an ineludible enviroment built by the people that live there. Poverty, but in particular the poverty derived from cultural and collective mindset, has a very strange way make people comform to it.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:39 AM

576 posts, read 1,591,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NowOrNever View Post
Not everyone is a troll if they disagree. It sounds very uneducated to say that. This poster has a point.
Agreed.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:45 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,329,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
The original poster is not merely talking about architecture or zone planning. He/she does have a very good point in that many areas in Jersey do resemble the living conditions of many thirld world countries. I know because I was born and raised in one. When you go to Paterson, Perth Amboy, Washington Heights in NYC, or Carteret, there is an ineludible enviroment built by the people that live there. Poverty, but in particular the poverty derived from cultural and collective mindset, has a very strange way make people comform to it.
i'm sorry, but our poverty is often trivial compared to third world country poverty. not that people in the u.s. in poverty don't have it hard...but the areas the OP is talking about...the people live in an actual structure, built into the ground. that's already light years ahead of virtually all third world country poverty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey