U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 01:11 AM

303 posts, read 409,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc2be View Post
To even put a more unique spin on your already unique viewpoint, why not consider arrogant, racist cities as the worst places to live? As a 3rd generation upper-middle class black from the South and the stepmother of bi-racial children, I have had some of the most unpleasant and overtly racist experiences in my life in Northern New Jersey, and in what Money magazine and other "majority" publications consider some of the "most liveable" towns. Some of the worst cities for raising middle class minority families because of the environment created by racism are, in my opinion, Parsippany, Verona, Montvale, Kenilworth, and the Caldwells. I am sure I will add to this list as my time in the racially segregated North lengthens, but I have had direct or subtle--but still clearly racist experiences in all of these areas in the 8 short months I have lived in New Jersey and have never been made to feel so unwelcome in my life (other than in areas where poorer descendants of Confederates live in the South).

I noticed in two of these "worst" NJ towns that working class blacks (at fast food stores and in other jobs like this) treat blacks they perceive to be higher class worse than whites because of their adoption of the perspective that economic success (or the perception thereof) is a white phenomenon. Some Hispanics, and even usually non-confrontational Asians, were rude and seemed to resent my perceived success, and I have been followed by police until I guess they recognize the college stickers and plates on my "luxury" car they probably mistook for a drug dealer's? What is going on?

Such experiences in 2011 when America is more diverse than ever greatly concern me, as does my complete bafflement with the fact that many whites here label all blacks and have the institutional forces of property tax dollars and the criminal justice system to maintain their segregated dillusionment. Do we choose to forget that nearly 80% of all U.S. born blacks were in poverty in the 60's after 400 years of the murderous apartheid of America's legalized racism provided whites "only" with economic advantage that they could pass down to their children? The fact that ONLY 24.7% of all blacks are in poverty today (75.3% are not in poverty--a complete flip-flop in just 40 years) is nothing short of a miracle--yet it is a fact that most don't know or don't choose to know - even when I provide them with this link to current Census Bureau Data proving just that (http://www.census.gov/hhes/www/pover...009/table4.pdf). Most people (including blacks who buy into this insanity) seem to prefer labelling all blacks.

Is it to make themselves feel better? I honestly do not get it and am not sure why this phenomenon persists. It is unfortunate that the descendants of the Great Migration who only came to the North to escape the rapes, lynchings, and legally-enforced economic theft and psychological damage of the South, experienced structural discrimination of a similar brand in Northern New Jersey that resulted in geographical and psychological segregation that has persisted to the present day and resulted in their poverty.

I have never understood the moral superiority of America with such stains on our national character. God help America.
well those places you have listed aren't really cities, racism becomes an issue when someone has gone to the suburbs. I have had to deal with prejudices as soon as i left the JC area and headed into the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey