Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 12:55 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,594,614 times

Advertisements

If you move to South Amboy try not to be so close to the bay or low elevation especially if u plan to live longterm or buy there. I lived right on Broadway there, I enjoyed south amboy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:31 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,011,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
I have friends who are hispanic living in sayreville. i never heard them say they had a problem living there because they were hispaniic.
I know people who are black (Jamaican) that live in Sayreville and are very happy there.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:38 PM

262 posts, read 795,107 times
I'm currently renting in South Amboy...though parts of the town look run down, it's pretty quiet for the most part, and the crime rate is low. The town consists of a mostly white, blue collar/working class population, with a few other ethnicities sprinkled in (though not many). I would stay away from the side of the train tracks closest to the water (unless you can afford one of the newer condo units directly on the water), as it tends to get a little seedy down there. It has a small-town feel, with only one main street (Broadway), on which everything tends to close early besides the bars.

Though I wouldn't by a house in South Amboy, I've found it perfectly fine for renting purposes.

If you don't want a similar situation to where you are currently living, I wouldn't recommend Perth Amboy. Though I've only driven through Perth Amboy a handful of times, it looked like it consisted of a predominantly Hispanic population, and definitely has more of a city-like feel to it.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:13 PM

1,495 posts, read 5,030,664 times
The house I saw was on Bayshore Avenue, right by the Bay. It was a nice small house and the area looked a little run down, but it was a good price.

We also went to Sayreville, Old Bridge, and Matawan, which I thought were all nice as well.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Guitar View Post
Even though the subprime mortgage issue started sometime in the year 2000, it was not until the year 2003 that this problem was at its full swing. Here in Woodbridge, at least, there was a real transformation of population after 9/11. A lot of Dominicans from Washington Heights decided that maybe the city wasn't as safe as they thought it was. Same thing can be said about many Puerto Ricans and some Colombians that ended up here from the Bronx and Jackson Heights, Queens. And as I mentioned it before, many Hispanic families living in Perth Amboy also made the move because of the many issues with the school district. Therefore, the change was.....let's just say quick and noticeable.
I don't understand how that migration of people can happen so quick. Not everyone always has the money to just up and leave without planning.

I really don't like it when one area is dominated by one culture. The point of multiculturalism is to be able to live in an area with many cultures, not just one. I don't care what anyone says, but once that happens, that culture tries to push out any other culture or race by not talking to them, not employing anyone else, and being downright rude. That in itself if racist.

My husband goes through that because he is from England and has an accent. The hispanics will laugh, be rude, or not want to try and communicate in a shop. Believe me I've told quite a few of them off and Spanish and they felt so stupid afterwards.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:40 PM

262 posts, read 795,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
The house I saw was on Bayshore Avenue, right by the Bay. It was a nice small house and the area looked a little run down, but it was a good price..
Bayshore Avenue is actually Laurence Harbor, one town South/East of South Amboy. LH, in my opinion, is very run down, especially on the bayside of 35.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:08 PM

1,551 posts, read 2,420,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven1976 View Post
I don't understand how that migration of people can happen so quick. Not everyone always has the money to just up and leave without planning.

I really don't like it when one area is dominated by one culture. The point of multiculturalism is to be able to live in an area with many cultures, not just one. I don't care what anyone says, but once that happens, that culture tries to push out any other culture or race by not talking to them, not employing anyone else, and being downright rude. That in itself if racist.

My husband goes through that because he is from England and has an accent. The hispanics will laugh, be rude, or not want to try and communicate in a shop. Believe me I've told quite a few of them off and Spanish and they felt so stupid afterwards.
Just out of curiosity OP what town is this in where you and your husband live in?

Old 09-25-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homenj View Post
Just out of curiosity OP what town is this in where you and your husband live in?
West New York, NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey