Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 12:22 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times

Advertisements

How has everyones employers been responding? I know some people whose employers have been incredibly supportive and others who've been told that anytime taken off due to damage or outages immediately after the storm (first couple of days) counts as vacation, irrespective of their situation.

Obviously some people as first responders/medical workers are fairly critical, they are also dedicated and tend to be the first people reporting. I don't understand the urgency to get non-critical people on the road, especially with gas shortages and roads being blocked. Wouldn't it be better to keep people out of the way in order to facilitate clean up? What about those who are cut off, who have had no access to phone/internet or gas for days? Should these people be doubly penalized? Even if they are not paid for that time off - should they lose what little time they do receive?

Would be interested to hear peoples experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 12:27 PM

244 posts, read 390,405 times
Gotta keep the profits going... screw caring for the employees.. its all about money.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,033,913 times
My husbands company is asking that all but a handful of essential people (security people and a very few that take care of critical hardware functions with the servers/mainframe) work from home. His company is essential to the recovery, so they can't just shut down. They have shifted certain responsibilities that require people to be "in the office" to remote offices in unaffected states. People non-essential at this moment (business development/marketing, cafeteria workers, recruiters and the like) are just being given the time off with pay.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:43 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,025,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My husbands company is asking that all but a handful of essential people (security people and a very few that take care of critical hardware functions with the servers/mainframe) work from home. His company is essential to the recovery, so they can't just shut down. They have shifted certain responsibilities that require people to be "in the office" to remote offices in unaffected states. People non-essential at this moment (business development/marketing, cafeteria workers, recruiters and the like) are just being given the time off with pay.
That sounds very reasonable and more than fair. Kudos to his company.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:30 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyB View Post
How has everyones employers been responding? I know some people whose employers have been incredibly supportive and others who've been told that anytime taken off due to damage or outages immediately after the storm (first couple of days) counts as vacation, irrespective of their situation.

Obviously some people as first responders/medical workers are fairly critical, they are also dedicated and tend to be the first people reporting. I don't understand the urgency to get non-critical people on the road, especially with gas shortages and roads being blocked. Wouldn't it be better to keep people out of the way in order to facilitate clean up? What about those who are cut off, who have had no access to phone/internet or gas for days? Should these people be doubly penalized? Even if they are not paid for that time off - should they lose what little time they do receive?

Would be interested to hear peoples experiences.
tuesday - told to stay home. wednesday - told to come in, if possible, but expected to work from home, if possible. thursday/friday - told building is at full capability (it's not) and we are expected to be here.

disappointing.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Been working remotely as has the rest of my agency since Monday morning. Some people on our team have even opened up their apartments to fellow employees who are without power to create little satellite offices. We're all lookin out for each other and the understanding that the work done isn't going to be our maximum potential, but still a massive effort in the face of this all has been appreciated across the board.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:44 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
We have an office in Parsippany, and they're still without power. Employees of that office have been told to work from home if they have power/internet, but the company fully understands that many can't. We've also got jobsites around the state, and some have fared better than others, so they're being addressed on a case-by-case basis.

I'm very lucky to work for a company that doesn't compromise the safety of their employees. When we had a snow/ice storm here in Atlanta in January 2011 that basically shut the city down for a week, we were told to stay home to avoid the possibility of accidents and 4-hour commutes. By comparison, companies I worked for previously in NJ would get all bent out of shape if you tried to work from home after a 12" snowstorm- they'd rather you spend 4 hours trying to get to work, just to waste the rest of the day hearing everyone complain about the snow, and then spend 4 hours trying to get home to shovel your house out.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:34 PM

171 posts, read 416,348 times
Week off, no pay. Looks like its ramen every day for me next pay period.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:48 PM

323 posts, read 575,325 times
i lost 1 day from work due to loss of power at my company ,although i would love to get paid by my employer ,i certainly dont expect it

Old 11-02-2012, 04:00 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
I've lost 3 days due to gas shortages.
Employer doesn't understand,have to use vacation pay.

I'm not sure why they can understand coworkers not having power but can't understand that there are gas shortages?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey