Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:20 AM

284 posts, read 616,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1975 View Post
Yes, I gave the doctor report (initial draft) to case manager, he was kind enough to show 2 schools without finalizing IEP plan. He showed one school which is completely specialized in district program (in our zipcode) and other school was inclusive - Both the schools have low functioning kids and most of them non-verbal kids and too slow for my son. Also, Inclusive class doesn't have ABA therapist in the school.
He sounds reasonable. Keep in mind that we don't know him, nor your son.
My suggestion is to keep an open mind to work with them, keep a good working relationship, but always keep your record of communication. You never know when you need it.

Quote:
Yeah, I was ignorant to some extent when they asked me to sign the consent form - I didn't know whether to sign it or not to sign it (this was given few weeks back) while I was still gathering more information.
It has already been done, just do better next time.

Quote:

No, I don't want to live in Jersey City. Currently I am exploring where to move? How is your district for providing special services?
I live in a district which often referred as a good district and recommended here (No, I don't live in Millburn) How do you think I know about all these ?? The special services admins are clueless and lie. I even saw a post recommending the special services in my district. It was a joke..A problem with some of these suburban school districts is that the parents usually deal with the problems themselves and send their kids to private schools. Hence the admins' attitude is either their way or highway. my experience in working in Wall Street is that while the people may be demanding, but most are reasonable, but I have never met with people such as my district's admins, they are liars and arrogant. After "working" with the admins and the teachers for a year, I found out that the teachers are not keeping up themselves and I even plan to send my regular ed kid to private school.

Quote:

Also, If I want my son to go to some good out of district programs like Alpine in Paramus -what is the process? (one thing is district should agree)
you want to stay in JC and have the school placed your son in Alpine??
You need a very solid recommendation, and written in a away that is specific for the school....Is Alpine inclusive? if they are, you may have a difficult time, never go in to ask for a specific placement, the district is not allowed to pre-determine placement, even they do all the time. You also should not bring up the placement, but ask questions...But I suspect in this economic time, it may be difficult.

You may want to try an advocate first, but not advocates and attorneys are the same, they earn money when talking to you, when traveling, and even when screwing up your case, hence you need to find a good one, is there any parents group in JC? Note that every district has a PAC, (Parent Advisory Committee), some may be good, some are not (basically controlled by the district), but it may be a good start...

I have talked to people such as SPAN, useless. I have not tried a paid advocate, hence can't recommend any even I heard a few good ones. It was because I came to the conclusion that no amount of advocacy can work with my district (trust me, their approach of special services is like a game, catch me if you can).

As the time when I looked for evaluators, they charged between $2500 to $6000. The $6000 was from NYU's child study team...When you said Children Specialized Hospital, was it covered by the insurance ? Most likely they won't come to meetings nor go to hearing...Again, the bottom line is the recommendation, it needs to be very specific.

Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2011, 11:17 AM

69 posts, read 223,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anna_mom View Post
He sounds reasonable. Keep in mind that we don't know him, nor your son.
My suggestion is to keep an open mind to work with them, keep a good working relationship, but always keep your record of communication. You never know when you need it.

It has already been done, just do better next time.

I live in a district which often referred as a good district and recommended here (No, I don't live in Millburn) How do you think I know about all these ?? The special services admins are clueless and lie. I even saw a post recommending the special services in my district. It was a joke..A problem with some of these suburban school districts is that the parents usually deal with the problems themselves and send their kids to private schools. Hence the admins' attitude is either their way or highway. my experience in working in Wall Street is that while the people may be demanding, but most are reasonable, but I have never met with people such as my district's admins, they are liars and arrogant. After "working" with the admins and the teachers for a year, I found out that the teachers are not keeping up themselves and I even plan to send my regular ed kid to private school.

you want to stay in JC and have the school placed your son in Alpine??
You need a very solid recommendation, and written in a away that is specific for the school....Is Alpine inclusive? if they are, you may have a difficult time, never go in to ask for a specific placement, the district is not allowed to pre-determine placement, even they do all the time. You also should not bring up the placement, but ask questions...But I suspect in this economic time, it may be difficult.

You may want to try an advocate first, but not advocates and attorneys are the same, they earn money when talking to you, when traveling, and even when screwing up your case, hence you need to find a good one, is there any parents group in JC? Note that every district has a PAC, (Parent Advisory Committee), some may be good, some are not (basically controlled by the district), but it may be a good start...

I have talked to people such as SPAN, useless. I have not tried a paid advocate, hence can't recommend any even I heard a few good ones. It was because I came to the conclusion that no amount of advocacy can work with my district (trust me, their approach of special services is like a game, catch me if you can).

As the time when I looked for evaluators, they charged between $2500 to $6000. The $6000 was from NYU's child study team...When you said Children Specialized Hospital, was it covered by the insurance ? Most likely they won't come to meetings nor go to hearing...Again, the bottom line is the recommendation, it needs to be very specific.

Best of luck
I couldn't recall if you posted earlier, if you don't mind sharing - what district are you in? and are you happy with the services.

I will research about good advocates, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:34 PM

284 posts, read 616,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1975 View Post
I couldn't recall if you posted earlier, if you don't mind sharing - what district are you in? and are you happy with the services.

I will research about good advocates, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
As far as my school district is concerned, all I can say is it hasn't provided FAPE. It is one of those "good" districts that has been recommended here.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:15 PM

69 posts, read 223,303 times
Every one - Thanks for your help. I think I found few good groups that are appropriate for further discussion

- ASPEN
- Autism yahoo groups

I appreciate for reading and posting your comments - Again you are great.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 136 times
Hi I am in same situation. Did you moved out of JC. Please help with your thoughts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey