U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-25-2011, 05:54 PM
 
69 posts, read 183,496 times
Reputation: 20

Advertisements

I am re posting this message in this section hoping to get better response

I have a son 4 year old with Autism (milder side), We live in Jersey City, Doctor recommended inclusive class with ABA teacher - I have some questions

* What are the policies for selecting a school, Can parents choose from list of available schools? or we have to go with whatever they give us? can we ask for out of district schools?
* Do you know of any online/offline parents support group in jersey city?
* What is the best school district for children with autism in New Jersey or Tristate area?
* Do you know of any good website(s) that provide more information about autism (I know that there are plenty online but looking for useful onces)

Thanks for reading my post and sharing your experiences

Last edited by Ryan1975; 09-25-2011 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: Better Formating
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-25-2011, 09:48 PM
 
390 posts, read 1,166,019 times
Reputation: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1975 View Post
I am re posting this message in this section hoping to get better response

I have a son 4 year old with Autism (milder side), We live in Jersey City, Doctor recommended inclusive class with ABA teacher - I have some questions

* What are the policies for selecting a school, Can parents choose from list of available schools? or we have to go with whatever they give us? can we ask for out of district schools?
* Do you know of any online/offline parents support group in jersey city?
* What is the best school district for children with autism in New Jersey or Tristate area?
* Do you know of any good website(s) that provide more information about autism (I know that there are plenty online but looking for useful onces)

Thanks for reading my post and sharing your experiences

Contact Bergen County Special Services and see if they can work with you (or if Jersey City is willing to work with them). The programs are top notch and they do work with out of county residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 12:13 AM
 
2,848 posts, read 4,317,550 times
Reputation: 2595
Default Autism-Inclusive ABA-Advice Needed - Please READ

We had to move out of Jersey City, actually out of Hudson County, to get services for our son. Don't expect to get any help from Jersey City schools. There are Federal guidelines that school districts are supposed to meet in services given to special needs children. Jersey City flat out told us they didn't care what the law stated, they wouldn't provide services & actually dared us to sue them.

We moved to West Windsor (West Windsor Plainsboro school district.) What a difference ! Our son received all the services & more, all without any hassle.

Speaking from experience, you will have to leave Hudson County to get services for your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 12:41 AM
 
284 posts, read 541,541 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1975 View Post
I am re posting this message in this section hoping to get better response

I have a son 4 year old with Autism (milder side), We live in Jersey City, Doctor recommended inclusive class with ABA teacher - I have some questions

* What are the policies for selecting a school, Can parents choose from list of available schools? or we have to go with whatever they give us? can we ask for out of district schools?
* Do you know of any online/offline parents support group in jersey city?
* What is the best school district for children with autism in New Jersey or Tristate area?
* Do you know of any good website(s) that provide more information about autism (I know that there are plenty online but looking for useful onces)

Thanks for reading my post and sharing your experiences
My understanding of the general process is that you cannot select a school at this time. You need to go to talk to the school in your district, provide them the evaluation and recommendations from the doctor, they should schedule a meeting to determine eligibility and prepare an IEP for your child. During the meeting, they may discuss placement, you need to prepare what they propose and what out of district you plan for. Chances are that they won't hand you the placement you request. IF the admin were as bad as the other poster brought up, you may have to prepare to file a DP for the placement.

First of all, you need to understand the IEP process and your right. They should provide you a booklet that explains your right. Study it, ask question. Note that the answers from the school admin may not always be correct (in my case, over 90% were wrong).

SPAN is a start, but the trainings (IMO) are mediocre, but it gives you some ideas of your right.

You also need to put everything in writing. say, write to them to request a meeting, write to them to summarize the discussions.

It is within your right to record the meeting, therefore, let me know that you plan on record the meeting so as to help you digest their recommendations..

(BTW, in the special ed world, a child is not entitled to the "best" education. Unless you plan to place the child privately, take the word "best" out of your dictionary, you will ask for what is appropriate for the child.

Best of luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 12:46 AM
 
284 posts, read 541,541 times
Reputation: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
Jersey City flat out told us they didn't care what the law stated, they wouldn't provide services & actually dared us to sue them.

I do not live in Jersey City, but our admin also told us flat out that they did not care what the law said on tape twice *(unbelievable) If there were youtube for audio, I would have posted it online.

I may bring it to one of CC's townhall meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 09:48 AM
 
859 posts, read 2,404,849 times
Reputation: 667
SPAN is an excellent resourse for keeping parents aware of their rights in special education:
website = SPAN
They also offer advocacy at IEP Meetings.
Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 08:33 PM
 
69 posts, read 183,496 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by daliowa View Post
We had to move out of Jersey City, actually out of Hudson County, to get services for our son. Don't expect to get any help from Jersey City schools. There are Federal guidelines that school districts are supposed to meet in services given to special needs children. Jersey City flat out told us they didn't care what the law stated, they wouldn't provide services & actually dared us to sue them.

We moved to West Windsor (West Windsor Plainsboro school district.) What a difference ! Our son received all the services & more, all without any hassle.

Speaking from experience, you will have to leave Hudson County to get services for your child.
Yes, we are considering moving as Jersey City doesn't provide best inclusive class. Thanks for sharing your experience as this will help me make a good decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2011, 08:35 PM
 
69 posts, read 183,496 times
Reputation: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
Contact Bergen County Special Services and see if they can work with you (or if Jersey City is willing to work with them). The programs are top notch and they do work with out of county residents.
The issue is Jersey City doesn't easily allow out of district schooling - They need a solid reason why we want to move out of district. I am not sure how to fight this out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2011, 11:02 AM
 
69 posts, read 183,496 times
Reputation: 20
I would like to provide you with an update, Please share your thoughts on below

Today our case manager showed us two schools - both of schools have low functioning kids and not suitable for my kid. But the case manager didn't provide alternative schools and suggested we can move out of Jersey City. How can we deal with this situation? Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2011, 11:30 AM
 
69 posts, read 183,496 times
Reputation: 20
Please share your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:43 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top