Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 11:03 PM

501 posts, read 1,426,144 times

Advertisements

I still have mix feelings about Christie, but this is another one of his things that gets my approval regardless of how I feel. (Surprised that no one has posted this yet...)

Article snippet:

Quote:
"I am duty-bound to ensure that taxpayers are not footing a $420,000 bill for a project which does nothing more than perpetuate misconceptions about the state and its citizens," Christie said in a statement.

That's not all. The governor also has what his office called "long held, serious concerns" about the value of the entire New Jersey Film Tax Credit Transfer Program, a $10 million effort designed to bring more film and television production to the state.

In a letter sent to the New Jersey Economic Development Authority, Christie said that he has "no interest in policing the content of such projects," and that the state must ensure "our limited taxpayer dollars are spent on programs and projects that best benefit the state."
Link: Christie axes Jersey Shore tax credit - Sep. 26, 2011

I wish someone could make Jersey Shore illegal though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 12:02 AM

5,586 posts, read 8,363,028 times
I initially reacted favorably, but now I'm not sure. I would need more information, especially about the tax credit that he's thinking of abolishing in general. How many NJ residents have been employed due to the production companies' receiving this tax credit? How much revenue has been brought in through tourism due to the notoriety of Jersey Shore? And hey, did he like the way The Sopranos portrayed the state? (I realize that show wasn't entirely filmed in NJ, but significant outdoor scenes were.) Speaking of which, he sounds like one of the Sopranos characters when he tells people to "get the hell off the beach" or "I don't ask where your kid goes to school".

Jersey Shore is no different from Real Housewives or any of the other reality crap that's out there. The question is, what's the economic value to the state of the tax credits, not whether the show is any good.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:11 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,749,648 times
I think he should go further and sue each one of these production companies ..............for libel.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:17 AM

501 posts, read 1,426,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I initially reacted favorably, but now I'm not sure. I would need more information, especially about the tax credit that he's thinking of abolishing in general. How many NJ residents have been employed due to the production companies' receiving this tax credit? How much revenue has been brought in through tourism due to the notoriety of Jersey Shore? And hey, did he like the way The Sopranos portrayed the state? (I realize that show wasn't entirely filmed in NJ, but significant outdoor scenes were.) Speaking of which, he sounds like one of the Sopranos characters when he tells people to "get the hell off the beach" or "I don't ask where your kid goes to school".

Jersey Shore is no different from Real Housewives or any of the other reality crap that's out there. The question is, what's the economic value to the state of the tax credits, not whether the show is any good.
You made good points. I'd also like to know about the economic value and its worth towards the state. :/ That is indeed more important than personal feelings on a particular TV program.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:12 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,943,253 times
Good job Christie (and that was a very, very, very hard thing to say).

Old 09-27-2011, 06:53 AM

234 posts, read 937,328 times
Quote:
" ...How many NJ residents have been employed due to the production companies' receiving this tax credit? How much revenue has been brought in through tourism due to the notoriety of Jersey Shore? ... "
I don't know if it is possible to tease out the numbers from Jersey Shore, but I managed to find this statement from the NJ Motion Picture and Television Commission:

"Since its inception in 1977, the Commission has assisted on over 14,400 projects, enriching the local economy by more than $1.2 billion."

NJ Motion Picture & Television Commission

Old 09-27-2011, 08:05 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,348,080 times
Quote:

i agree. i despise all of these garbage television shows, but that's what america seems to want right now. if tax credits helped production companies green light a show like this, and it brings economic benefit to the area, then the credit is likely worthwhile. did he really eliminate the credit for just the jersey shore? is that even legal? he'd have to eliminate it for all right?

Old 09-27-2011, 08:13 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,021,055 times
Was this money previously promised to the show? If it was it sounds like it could end up in a lawsuit.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:28 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,348,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Was this money previously promised to the show? If it was it sounds like it could end up in a lawsuit.
as i understand it, it's just a tax benefit from the state that the production company gets each year. eliminating a tax break isn't recinding on a promise. if they raised our taxes this year, we can't sue them for promising us lower taxes, ya know? the problem i have with it is, how can you eliminate a tax break for 1 specific show?

Old 09-27-2011, 09:04 AM

51 posts, read 131,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
if tax credits helped production companies green light a show like this, and it brings economic benefit to the area, then the credit is likely worthwhile.
Right, but we also have to keep in mind the costs to NJ (including economic) of having a show like Jersey Shore around. IMO, those greatly outweigh the benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey