Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2011, 10:04 AM

262 posts, read 798,605 times

Advertisements

Young couple, with children in the near future, looking to buy a starter home in area with:
  • Family-friendly neighborhood (where kids could go out and play safely)
  • Good school system
  • No more than 1 1/2 hour commute (by bus, train has proven to be completely unreliable) to midtown NYC - husband works there
  • No more than 30 minute commute to North Brunswick - wife works there
  • Decent yard space for pets
What are your opinions on the following areas:

Colonia:

Metuchen:

North Brunswick:

South Brunswick:

East Brunswick:

Spotswood:

Matawan:

Hazlet:

Middletown:

Marlboro:

Any other suggestions:

Last edited by focus282; 09-29-2011 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 11:10 AM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by focus282 View Post
Young couple, with children in the near future, looking to buy a starter home in area with:
  • Family-friendly neighborhood (where kids could go out and play safely)
  • Good school system
  • No more than 1 1/2 hour commute (by bus, train has proven to be completely unreliable) to midtown NYC - husband works there
  • No more than 30 minute commute to North Brunswick - wife works there
  • Decent yard space for pets
What are your opinions on the following areas:

Colonia:

Metuchen:

North Brunswick:

South Brunswick:

East Brunswick:

Spotswood:

Matawan:

Hazlet:

Middletown:

Marlboro:

Any other suggestions:
Price range?

Old 09-29-2011, 11:17 AM

Just looking for a starter home for now -- so in the $200-$250 range.

Last edited by focus282; 09-29-2011 at 11:27 AM..

Old 09-29-2011, 01:39 PM

19,128 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
In that price range, you will really be looking at condos or...perhaps...a very small bungalow-type house in...not so good condition. While I am not familiar enough with housing conditions in all of the communities that you listed, I can't imagine finding something in your price range in Colonia or Metuchen.

Hopefully some others can give you insight into the housing market in the other towns that you listed.

Old 09-29-2011, 01:53 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
Quote:
We were able to buy a beautiful townhome in North Brunswick in the lower end of that price range in 2009.... but honestly any houses we saw for that price in those locations were terrible.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:52 PM

Budget aside, I'm looking more for opinions on what the areas are like. Any insight?

Old 09-29-2011, 07:17 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
Well in Middletown & Hazlet it won't be too easy to make N. Brunswick in a half hour.

The Brunswicks probably have what you're looking for. E.B. schools are highly regarded. Can get to NYC by bus in about an hour with traffic.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:03 AM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
Well in Middletown & Hazlet it won't be too easy to make N. Brunswick in a half hour.
We have friends and relatives in the Middletown area. It takes at least an hour from North Brunswick to get there and that is with no traffic. Not to mention that Rt 35 through that area pretty much ensures that you do not make a single light on it. I have taken backroads through Milltown, South River, Sayreville and Old Bridge to get out to Rt 35 and still it is about an hour. You googlemaps or mapquest it, it tells you to take Rt 1 up to Edison and then get Woodbridge Ave to 440 to the Parkway South which is one big out of the way horseshoe. With tolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
The Brunswicks probably have what you're looking for. E.B. schools are highly regarded. Can get to NYC by bus in about an hour with traffic.
I agree. The highest ranked of the three are East Brunswick, but you really cannot go wrong in any of the Brunswicks.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:06 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
Quote:
Budget aside, I'm looking more for opinions on what the areas are like. Any insight?
We really love North Brunswick!
Route 1 can be a pain traffic wise, but you learn back roads. And having all the stores so close is a great convenience.
Taxes are more than reasonable and we have a great community of neighbors.
Schools are excellent too (I have subbed in NB for the last 2 years as well, so I have an inside look!)
Very pleased with our decision to move here.

Old 09-30-2011, 02:53 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,025,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
We really love North Brunswick!
Route 1 can be a pain traffic wise, but you learn back roads. And having all the stores so close is a great convenience.
Taxes are more than reasonable and we have a great community of neighbors.
Schools are excellent too (I have subbed in NB for the last 2 years as well, so I have an inside look!)
Very pleased with our decision to move here.
Yes the girlfriend and I have lived here for the past two years as well, we love it here. No complaints about the area whatsoever. Unless it is too close. Some people like to live outside the area where they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey