Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:27 PM

469 posts, read 1,635,346 times

Advertisements

and I would truly appreciate as much information as possible, as well as resources. Also, if you live in the community and are very community, please provide as much information as possible.

I am also interested in focusing on the many historic and interesting sites. Obviously, the Palisades Park, Rio Vista, Devil's Tower are all obvious - but the Armstrong Station is something not many know about. The more things that are not "basic knowledge" of the town the better. Thank you all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2011, 02:57 PM

Anyone!?

Old 10-08-2011, 06:28 PM

1,171 posts, read 2,673,091 times
I am only aware of "the obvious" when we used to cruise up there to the Devil Tower and Rio Vista when we were young and did the whole circling thing around it (we even did it backwards - we were told that was the "proper way" LOL) and drive by Eddie Murphy's house and yell out lines from Delirious (when he was still funny!). There was a rumor of some cult on the Palisades and we went in the woods and trekked to some house foundation that was still in the cliffs (as if a part was hollowed out) that had burned mattresses and stuff. We naturally scared ourselves thinking it was the work of "Satan worshipers" and ran for our lives but in hind sight I'm sure it was just kids partying or something along those lines. This was over 20 years ago. You got there by parking over by that Japanese restaurant on 9W and walking over Palisades on that foot bridge and then going into the woods and walking south for a bit near the cliffs. Not even sure if that is still Alpine.

I would imagine that you would have had to grow up there/ live there for an extended period of time to have the information you're looking for and not very many people can afford that. Those houses were in the millions way back when, I can't even imagine what they go for now.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:50 AM

Bump the topic!

Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 AM

728 posts, read 1,956,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
I am only aware of "the obvious" when we used to cruise up there to the Devil Tower and Rio Vista when we were young and did the whole circling thing around it (we even did it backwards - we were told that was the "proper way" LOL) and drive by Eddie Murphy's house and yell out lines from Delirious (when he was still funny!). There was a rumor of some cult on the Palisades and we went in the woods and trekked to some house foundation that was still in the cliffs (as if a part was hollowed out) that had burned mattresses and stuff. We naturally scared ourselves thinking it was the work of "Satan worshipers" and ran for our lives but in hind sight I'm sure it was just kids partying or something along those lines. This was over 20 years ago. You got there by parking over by that Japanese restaurant on 9W and walking over Palisades on that foot bridge and then going into the woods and walking south for a bit near the cliffs. Not even sure if that is still Alpine.

I would imagine that you would have had to grow up there/ live there for an extended period of time to have the information you're looking for and not very many people can afford that. Those houses were in the millions way back when, I can't even imagine what they go for now.
Houses are super expensive in Alpine. Devils tower is supposedly haunted my friends and I traveled there a couple of times. I think the story is a very rich man built it for his wife and she jumped out from the tower to her death. I am not 100% sure on this.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,291,098 times
For all it's worth, how about going to the town library or borough hall? Surely they can direct you to a historian or another person who knows local lore.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:15 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,091,779 times
My parents live in Alpine/I have been living in Alpine, and I can tell you that's pretty much it. Alpine isn't really a town in any real sense. It's just a bunch of huge mansions. There's only one multi-family house and like 2 commercial buildings/businesses.

Why are you doing a project on Alpine? There isn't really much there.

The only things I can tell you about you may not know, is that in the Alpine nature preserve, if you hike the right path, you can get to this gorgeous-view cliff. The area is called 8-ball. You come out of the woods onto this sizable solid-rock area. The single-piece rock ground you're standing on curves down into a cliff/ravine, and there's a gorgeous view of the horizon. All over the place kids have graffiti'd everywhere on the rocks, things such as "Sex drugs and rock & roll!" and other such things. Supposedly the son of some radio DJ commited suicide there. I've been there once, tried to hike to it agfain this past summer, couldn't find it. Next time I'mm gonna ask the ranger how to get there. If you ever go there be careful there are bears in the area. I'm sure of this, since we heard one from our backyard once. That was a scary night.

here's another, one of the few businesses in town, a landscaping place at the top of Closter Dock road, is run by John McAffrey, who also runs/lives on MacBain park, which is down Closter dock road and then noth on Anderson Ave and then down on Hickory, in Closter. It's a farm that's free to closter residents to pick produce from, though there's a one one-gal bucket limit per day. McAffrey is an easy-to-recognize guy with his bushy beard

Here's another, on the lot next to the boro hall, you'll notice it's an empty lot, just grass, but on the side close to the boro hall, there's some kind of garden thingy with sculptures. This was made by a guy who helps out at the boro hall a lot. He doesn't work there officially, he just helps out, doesn't have a job himself, is on some kind of disability. He changes the garden around now and then. I remember once around 9-11 he made some things to represent the twin towers.

here's another one. Did you know that besides being a nuisance on the road, deer are also so stupid they'll try to jump fences, not make, and get impaled on the fancy spear-point thingies on the top, and die there and leave a horrible mess for you to have to clean up? Oh and they'll do this repeatedly (let's say it's happened 4-5 times over 11 years). Also, sometimes the males get their antlers stuck in the fence.

hmmm.... The large farm lot with one tiny house at the top of the hill (trhough it's not really a farm anymore, now it's just a huge lawn), the guy who lives there owns a 1920's or 10's era car - saw him drive out of his driveway with it once. Well, it could have been a friend/relative of his. Also on that lot there's a HUGE apple tree, like 30 feet tall. All the deer go around there and eat the apples.

what else.
Sean Puffy Combs owns a house on Anderson Ave towards the dead end. You can see it from the "C" on the gate for "Combs". It used to have an "A" for the previous homeowner's family name.

On the dead end of Anderson you can actually walk, Walk by McAffrey's place (you'll see all his antique equipmet), there's sort of a path, walk across the creek past Ruckman Rd, and get to Norwood.

There's tons of old glass in the woods in certain places from people who lived there from way back when. some old bottles are on display in the boro hall.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:27 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,091,779 times
Quote:
that Japanese restaurant on 9W
EXCUSE ME? "That Japanese restaurant", like it's just some place!? That's KIKU! one of the best places ever! Hibachi steakhouse and Japanese restaurant. Their hibachi noodles are amazing - but the secret recipe is so simple, it's just fresh ramen noodles cooked on the griddle with butter, sake, soy sauce and sesame seeds. Place used to be called Shinwa before it was bought by Kiku, didn't have the hibachi side back then. We saw Bill Murray there when we were little kids back then.

Kiku originally Started out on Route-17. Their original location their is closed now and is some salon is there. The building has a large-stone facaed and a certain curved shape, you can't miss it. Kiku re-opened a location on Route-17 again recently. The new place they built looks really nice.

Kiku is one of the favored spots of all the rich people of northern bergen county, similar to River Palm Terrace. Always see the samer kind of people there, all the people from Rio Vista, all the people who send their kids to Dwight-Englewood or one of the schools in the cities

Old 10-16-2011, 02:39 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,673,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
EXCUSE ME? "That Japanese restaurant", like it's just some place!? That's KIKU! one of the best places ever! Hibachi steakhouse and Japanese restaurant. Their hibachi noodles are amazing - but the secret recipe is so simple, it's just fresh ramen noodles cooked on the griddle with butter, sake, soy sauce and sesame seeds. Place used to be called Shinwa before it was bought by Kiku, didn't have the hibachi side back then. We saw Bill Murray there when we were little kids back then.

Kiku originally Started out on Route-17. Their original location their is closed now and is some salon is there. The building has a large-stone facaed and a certain curved shape, you can't miss it. Kiku re-opened a location on Route-17 again recently. The new place they built looks really nice.

Kiku is one of the favored spots of all the rich people of northern bergen county, similar to River Palm Terrace. Always see the samer kind of people there, all the people from Rio Vista, all the people who send their kids to Dwight-Englewood or one of the schools in the cities
You start off by insinuating that I have somehow insulted this establishment that I have never eaten at or been anywhere near since I was 17 - 20 years old about 20 years ago. I haven't been up there since the late 80's (I use the Palisades Pkwy when I have to go up that way now) so I naturally did not remember the name of the restaurant nor have I ever eaten there. (I am not among the "rich people" you mention that frequented the place). I never said anything about the quality of the restaurant since I have never been a patron.

A simple "The Japanese restaurant you mention is......" would have been sufficient. Ridiculous to criticize me for someplace I made a mention to in passing and have no experience with.

Old 10-17-2011, 09:34 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,291,098 times
Not to get too far off topic.. The 9W restaurant that transferred from Paramus/Route 4... it may have been status for the rich but it was one I couldn't recommend. In the early '90's I had been a concierge for high-level executives and had the misfortune of visiting that establishment. In my opinion, it was a dump. I was offered poor to middling service and was treated sub-par. I did my work discretely and reported on the same to my clientele. No one should know who you are and what you do to get service. Sorry, not a place I would stand up for. Back to the thread....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey