Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 05:32 PM

16 posts, read 104,453 times

Advertisements

In New Jersey, especially in Bergen and Sussex, I think people are open-minded enough that you don't have to worry about racism or anything. As an African American who grew up in Bergen County, I've personally never experienced any trouble...but I do live in Teaneck, which is very liberal. In fact most of my friends growing up were mixed race (Black, White.) I guess it's more to do with economics. Sussex is cheaper, Bergen is more expensive. Things are much more spread out and if you're looking for land, Sussex is the place. However Bergen, there are closer knit communities..at least Teaneck has great programs for children, there is tremendous diversity, and most people here have masters or doctorate degree. Okay, obviously I love my home, and plan to stay here--I did live in Virginia Beach, and was relieved to come home. Hope this helps! My favorite towns in Bergen are Teaneck, Ridgewood...My favorite town in New Jersey is in Essex--Montclair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 05:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,331,999 times
It depends on what kind of person you are, and what kind of people you gravitate towards I guess. Not saying I am a racist.

Yes I have experienced racial harmony here too, but i have also experienced lots of racial tensions.

I just want people to understand you will get both here. It not "Seventh Heaven"

Old 09-22-2007, 08:17 PM

20 posts, read 52,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I don't agree, I knew a lot of bi-racial couples , two lived in Midland Park and were thrilled. With all theAsian, Indian and Spanish in that area, plus there are Africian AMericans there I don't think Bergen is like that at all. In Sussex, there are still a ton of red necks and the PA border, which is very white power. Alot of red necks hate bi racial couples, blacks and anyone who does not fit in with them. I think Sussex County has a lot of red necks and mostly White. Just my opinion.

Coincidence -- I lived briefly in Midland Park as a kid. It was a pseudo-religious Dutch Reformed town. Those "religious" people were anything BUT when the first black kid entered the then Midland Park Jr-Sr High School, circa '58 or '59 (it opened in '57). The black child was accepted just fine by the white school kids, but the "religious" parents were HORRIBLE. I sincerely hope it has changed and has learned tolerance (I'm a civil rights advocate). I live in Sussex County, and yes, there are many rednecks, but I see quite a few blacks and there doesn't seem to be a problem, at least none that I'm aware of. Sadly, it wasn't always that way. As far as I'm concerned, as one here put it -- there is only one race, the human race. I love people of ALL colors.

Old 09-22-2007, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by najaca View Post
In New Jersey, especially in Bergen and Sussex, I think people are open-minded enough that you don't have to worry about racism or anything. As an African American who grew up in Bergen County, I've personally never experienced any trouble...but I do live in Teaneck, which is very liberal. In fact most of my friends growing up were mixed race (Black, White.) I guess it's more to do with economics. Sussex is cheaper, Bergen is more expensive. Things are much more spread out and if you're looking for land, Sussex is the place. However Bergen, there are closer knit communities..at least Teaneck has great programs for children, there is tremendous diversity, and most people here have masters or doctorate degree. Okay, obviously I love my home, and plan to stay here--I did live in Virginia Beach, and was relieved to come home. Hope this helps! My favorite towns in Bergen are Teaneck, Ridgewood...My favorite town in New Jersey is in Essex--Montclair.
It makes me very happy to know that people are mixing more these days; I think it's due to better education. My son lived in Montclair and now Bloomfield, both times in mixed neighborhoods, and he says everyone gets along -- that's how it should be.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:54 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,513,457 times
Yes I have lived in Bergen COunty for 41 years, I think if she picks the right town, she will be way happier there. I still don't think Sussex is open minded sorry my opinion. I have friends and they are red necks in Sussex and are all white power. They go over to PA (northern) and have like KKK type things open and announced. This is happening and in Sussex COunty. I do not see white power groups out in the open in Bergen.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:08 AM

859 posts, read 3,320,866 times
If you decide on Bergen (I see you already looked at Wood-Ridge--I grew up there!) and also look at Hasbrouck Heights and Rutherford. I had a really nice childhood living there. It's nice a nice area if you want your kids to be able to walk places and if you want to know a lot of people in the community. You get a nice little town feel, but are still really close to Manhattan.

Sussex County is really nice, but totally different. Depends on what you want. It's too rural for me, but some people love it there for that reason.

I have heard horrible stories about just one town in NJ (Oxford--it's either in Sussex or Warren County I'm not sure) and bad tales about active KKK stuff there and the town having a 100% white population.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:07 PM

64 posts, read 244,266 times
Ah,

I grew up in Bergen, I don't think its "it" as most people think of us, but it is a relatively great place to raise children in my opinion. I grew up in Hackensack, near the hospital and wouldn't trade it if you paid me. My entire block was mixed, bi-racial families, it was a very close knit community. My schools were mixed, etc. My godparents and friends of my parents live in Teaneck, (its pricy, but you are closer to NYC), and have raised all of their children there. It's all up to what you want for your children. I live in south FL now and NJ seems like heaven!

Old 09-23-2007, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Yes I have lived in Bergen COunty for 41 years, I think if she picks the right town, she will be way happier there. I still don't think Sussex is open minded sorry my opinion. I have friends and they are red necks in Sussex and are all white power. They go over to PA (northern) and have like KKK type things open and announced. This is happening and in Sussex COunty. I do not see white power groups out in the open in Bergen.

I was unaware of any KKK things and such going on in PA or Sussex County. I'm very sorry to hear of this. It's disgusting. I am a longtime resident of Sussex County and I love it, but I must agree there are sill some redneck attitudes here; I sincerely hope that changes!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:33 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,513,457 times
Sheralyn, yes it is a shocker, I was a little disappointed too. Now it is not all of Sussex County, but it is in some parts, I think it may be the younger generation but they learn it from the older generation so who is to blame? The problem is worse is PA, they have a big skin head population. I have openly seen newspapers and fliers. These kids are just plain angry. I was shocked also. She needs to do her homework if she picks a town in Sussex County, just like Bergen, some are great and some you may regret. Maybe a good town for a compromise between husband who wants woods, and her who wants action would be Mahwah, RIngwood????

Old 09-24-2007, 07:11 AM

859 posts, read 3,320,866 times
What about Morris County?

Depending what part you pick, you can get some qualities of Bergen and Sussex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey