U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 PM

12,381 posts, read 22,624,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Varies. Can be very slow where 280 goes down to 2 lanes, can be minimal traffic.

There are a few lots; the closest one is the garage right next to the station which is $10/12 hours or $175/month.

The 77 bus is a good idea for midtown but since it takes you to Port Authority it isn't so good for downtown.[/quote]

But the OP can take the subway downtown , an Express train takes 15 mins from 42nd street to the Wall Street area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 AM

14 posts, read 31,546 times
Default express bus to New Ark looks like a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
use NJT 73 to path at newark it's express at rush
... but is it much better than driving? If we sit in same traffic jam, everyone is screwed.
I heard from my friends that those njtransit buses are horrible. (My friends are not from Livingston, though)
Those njtransit buses not only come late they run ahead of schedule quite often. In Verona you would have to come 10 min earlier to catch your bus, but even then there would be no guarantee. Is same true for Livingston?

Tnx!

Old 10-13-2011, 12:10 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,703,962 times
Olenka, I did the Livingston to Manhattan commute for years and years and can speak from actual experience.

If you're commuting to Wall St. & Water St., your best bet is to drive to Harrison and take the PATH.

The drive to Harrison (including traffic) will be ~30 minutes. The traffic is not really bad. The only place it gets a little hairy is by exit 13 where 5 lanes turn into 2 lanes, so naturally, there will be a bottle neck. All this considered...it's a 30 minute drive (unless of course, there is an accident).

The PATH train ride into WTC will be 20 minutes. The PATH train runs like clock work. You can set your watch by it.

The WTC PATH station is 0.62 miles from Wall St. & Water St. Personally, I would just walk that. Even if you are a really slow walker (let's say it takes you a full 20 minutes to walk 1 mile), that would still only be about a 10 minute walk. It would take just as long (or longer) to walk to the right subway station, fumble around with a MetroCard, wait for the subway to show up, etc. etc.

You should do a dry run to Harrison and check out the parking situation for yourself...there has been some construction there and things have changed. There are several different parking lots, though, and you can choose to be on a daily basis or a monthly basis. Parking will be $6 to $10 a day.

Don't bother with driving to JSQ PATH---it's a longer & more complicated drive and the parking is more expensive.

The #77 Community Coach bus takes you to the Port Authority bus station in midtown. It's about a 1-hour ride for the bus ride alone (it would probably take you ~10 minutes to drive/walk from your house to a bus stop; once you get off at the Port Authority, it would be another 20-30 minutes to deboard the bus, walk all the way to the subway station, wait for the subway, take the subway, and walk from the subway station to your office). In other words, this method of commute would take at least 90 minutes, as opposed to the 60 minutes it would take you to use the Harrison PATH method. HOWEVER, the #77 is nice to have as an option for days when there is inclement weather, if you are nervous about driving to Harrison in the snow.

Don't bother with taking a NJ Transit train from a different town. The expense & time are not worth it.

Avoid the NJ Transit buses. They are impractical for a NYC commute.

Old 10-15-2011, 11:58 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olenka17 View Post
... but is it much better than driving? If we sit in same traffic jam, everyone is screwed.
I heard from my friends that those njtransit buses are horrible. (My friends are not from Livingston, though)
Those njtransit buses not only come late – they run ahead of schedule quite often. In Verona you would have to come 10 min earlier to catch your bus, but even then there would be no guarantee. Is same true for Livingston?

Tnx!
The harrison traffic will not affect the 73 at all since 73 gets off to head to newark penn via broad street if they come early then use that to your advantage to speed up your trip. Your rail pass will work on NJT 73 and all NJT buses at no extra charge to you. 73 runs in livingston click here for details NJ Bus map for Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren Counties

the 77 parallels the 73 in livingston at rush there are express trips to newark penn which take you directly to PATH done just try it it may be faster than using 77 to subway as PATH will get you closer. the 77 takes an hour to NYC then you use subway but 73 takes a short time to reach newark then include the PATH yeah try it and report back I think it's faster IF you are goint to lower manhattan. Never mind stick to 77 I checked the schedule but 73 carries lowered risk since it's express from orange to newark meaning it wrestles with traffic less

Last edited by qjbusmaster; 10-16-2011 at 12:30 AM..

Old 09-28-2012, 03:21 PM

Default try ferry! it's a lot of fun on sunny days

Tnx for all sugestions!
I figured out another way to get to Wall street/Aeaport - a ferry from Jersey City. It is expensive, though - $230/mo from Colgate to Pier 11. I am driving to Liberty State park, leave my car at Park&Ride, take light rail to Essex street, and jump on a boat. Monthly parking pass alone with Light rail ticket cost me another $120. But my door-to-door commute is only 1 hour! When I hit some traffic, I miss my boat (they run every 15 min) So, if I am out of luck, it takes 1h 15 min. I tried to drive to Harrison and take path train there. That long walk from Path to Seaport/Wall street adds another 20 min, so it was 1 h 20 min on average. jumping into a subway did not save much time - may be 5 min, may be even less. A boat ride is sooo much easier

Old 09-28-2012, 04:12 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olenka17 View Post
Tnx for all sugestions!
I figured out another way to get to Wall street/Aeaport - a ferry from Jersey City. It is expensive, though - $230/mo from Colgate to Pier 11. I am driving to Liberty State park, leave my car at Park&Ride, take light rail to Essex street, and jump on a boat. Monthly parking pass alone with Light rail ticket cost me another $120. But my door-to-door commute is only 1 hour! When I hit some traffic, I miss my boat (they run every 15 min) So, if I am out of luck, it takes 1h 15 min. I tried to drive to Harrison and take path train there. That long walk from Path to Seaport/Wall street adds another 20 min, so it was 1 h 20 min on average. jumping into a subway did not save much time - may be 5 min, may be even less. A boat ride is sooo much easier
so work is not close to PATH? did you try 73 to PATH or other or do you work infront of the boat terminal

Old 09-29-2012, 12:37 AM

1,146 posts, read 855,546 times
Livingston is about to start running a commuter shuttle from Livingston Mall to the South Orange train station.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
so work is not close to PATH? did you try 73 to PATH or other or do you work infront of the boat terminal
yes, i work in front of boat terminal

Old 10-01-2012, 09:13 AM

Default that's a great news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Livingston is about to start running a commuter shuttle from Livingston Mall to the South Orange train station.
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey