Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 8,765 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering moving to New Jersey and have seen some pretty nice new condos in East Orange. 60parkwaydrive.com in particular.

I live in Midtown, Manhattan right now (W54th St.) and am tired of paying an absurd amount in rent for a tiny place (1,100 for a tiny studio). The prices of the Condos in East Orange are pretty tempting around 180K for a 1 bedroom in a gated community doorman building.

I work in Jersey City and don't know much about New Jersey other than exchange place.

Can anyone recommend areas with affordable condos?

Budget is under 200K (1 bedroom), Close to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 02:03 PM

51 posts, read 523,281 times
i'm not sure if east orange is the best choice. it's not a particularly safe city by and large. check out this link which gives an overview of the crime stats:

Moderator cut: link removed

200K is a pretty tough price to find anything close to the city in a reasonably safe area. i would consider the journal square area of jersey city or possibly jersey city heights, there not the best neighborhoods but safe in parts. you might find something in your range though.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:34 AM..

Old 08-25-2007, 07:23 AM

2 posts, read 17,430 times
While East Orange may not be the perfect choice I think it might be a great one considering the price. Do not let anyone, even myself, sway your decision until you see "60" for yourself. It may not be the place for you. Plan on getting a car in order to move there. Since you don't know a lot about new jersey you should definitely start by visiting. I think jersey city could also be a great choice however at 200K you won't get the same amenities as East Orange.

I've heard a lot of horrible things about east orange and so far most of them are exaggerated. While they may have been true 3 years ago, the city is experiencing HUGE redevelopment which you can find at www.cityonthemove.us. There are bad areas and good areas to the city but things are quickly changing. They city plans on creating "transit towns" located around each train station. In a year or two there should be more drastic improvements (my personal opinion). I've already seen several improvements noticing that the city is willing to spend millions of dollars in order to improve the quality of life here.

I've purchased a townhouse here for 250K (3 bedroom). For first time home buyers the prices can't be beat. I have read, seen, and heard that East Orange is not a place for white people and that it is too dangerous to consider moving there. This always appalled me! I may be the only white person on the block but I don’t feel unsafe.

My advice is to go to “60” and see for yourself! Check out some other luxury condos in the area as well. Jersey City is also undergoing a lot of building. Preconstruction prices there might be your ticket to a new condo.

Old 08-25-2007, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 17,430 times
Exclamation Old stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjb1970 View Post
i'm not sure if east orange is the best choice. it's not a particularly safe city by and large. check out this link which gives an overview of the crime stats:

Moderator cut: link removed

200K is a pretty tough price to find anything close to the city in a reasonably safe area. i would consider the journal square area of jersey city or possibly jersey city heights, there not the best neighborhoods but safe in parts. you might find something in your range though.
Like most east orange crime statistics, the one above is from data collected in 2003 (Data Source:2003 FBI Report of Offenses Known to Law Enforcement). This happens to be the WORST year for east orange. Not reflective of 2007.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:32 AM..

Old 08-27-2007, 02:21 PM

29 posts, read 146,323 times
I live in NYC and while I see the condo in NJ as a nice investment and a city that is working hard to improve quality of life. I had the pleasure of seeing both condo's Empire Views and 60 Parkway Drive, I too am not familiar with NJ but I fell in love with both condo's. You should see the area and condo's for yourself because in my opinion I feel that this neighborhood will change in atleast a year time. Its still close to NYC.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:37 PM

2 posts, read 17,258 times
Wink Interested in condos in Burlington, Camden, Gloucester counties.

I am a 22 yr old female that is interested in learning about the communities before I plan a move, being as though you may have your own ways of life, but living in a community is a tottaly different experience. If anyone has any information on any municipalities located in these counties, please respond. i would very much appreciate it.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:30 AM
VNY

5 posts, read 29,263 times
As noted above the crime stats linked are from 2003 and even the City-Data.com crime stats for East Orange are from 2005! We are nearly through 2007 and have had unprecedented reductions in crime over the past 3 years - about 30% per year over year.... There have been numeous TV spots and articles about the turn around in the city and if you really want a good deal, you should come now before everyone else realizes how much things have changed here!

I bought my very affordable house two years ago and am loving the community and the closeness/ease of access to NYC. Mind you I do have an alarm that is set everyday when I leave, but my neighborhood is quiet and the neighbors are wonderful!!

I am pretty sure 60 Parkway Drive is still underconstruction, so you won't be able to move in too soon. There are lots of other affordable condos in the City and a good realator could help you find one quickly.

Old 10-12-2007, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 8,128 times
Prospect Towers in East Orange has great buys.
973-674-2664

Old 12-27-2007, 04:54 PM

25 posts, read 172,292 times
The first thing I caught about 60 is the frequency of the bus service- every hour. Then I asked people. The answers were bad. Then I drove there (I live in Queens) and let me tell you, I have been all over NYC 5 boroughs working as a bus driver and parts of Jersey and never saw something so F'd up in my life. I literally could not leave my car and that says a lot. I have stopped looking for real estate as a result of becoming diluted with that ad from the developer. Total bait and switch.

Old 12-28-2007, 12:41 PM

253 posts, read 1,264,796 times
Uh. I just can't imagine.

To each his own but I hope you get a lot for your money. Including safety and peace of mind.

I remember just last year that building was condemned and two years before that it was just a regular apartment building for thugs, drugs and bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey