U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 04:57 PM

5 posts, read 30,151 times

Advertisements

Try Bergenfield

Old 10-27-2011, 10:13 AM

28 posts, read 35,859 times
Same query guys, but I will be working in Hoboken. Is Iselin the place to be?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:31 AM

3 posts, read 6,309 times
Just wondering why is it okay for Asian Indians to specify they want to live in just Indian neighborhoods, but if someone who is white, black, or even Spanish indicated they want to live in a neighborhood with just their ethnicity there would be an issue. There's more to America than just the mighty dollar. Why not look in to neighborhoods that has a mixture of all cultures and races. That way you can learn more about the melting pot of a country your making a living in.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:33 PM

193 posts, read 517,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idtk2012 View Post
Just wondering why is it okay for Asian Indians to specify they want to live in just Indian neighborhoods, but if someone who is white, black, or even Spanish indicated they want to live in a neighborhood with just their ethnicity there would be an issue. There's more to America than just the mighty dollar. Why not look in to neighborhoods that has a mixture of all cultures and races. That way you can learn more about the melting pot of a country your making a living in.
The reason would probably be when coming into this country as a newbie and probably english is'nt your first language you would like to be around things, language and culture your familiar with. It has been like this since America was founded from english, irish, italians, polish, etc....

Old 10-27-2011, 02:02 PM

1,396 posts, read 1,691,486 times
Quote:
Just wondering why is it okay for ...
Who said it wouldn't be OK?

Actually I would take exception to specifying black/white. That would be racism. But actual culture is not unreasonable to ask for. Besides language barriers there's also getting your culture's food, and just cultural differences in general.

Old 10-27-2011, 09:03 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,729,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops13 View Post
Same query guys, but I will be working in Hoboken. Is Iselin the place to be?
i guess that's a matter of perspective

not in my top 500

Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
i guess that's a matter of perspective

not in my top 500
I meant its the "place to be" in my requirments-context.

Any more inputs on my query, if the cultural issues are resolved..

Old 11-07-2011, 12:26 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,230,856 times
Just like hispanics or any group that move to a neighborhood of "their own kind", many never learn to speak English or know anything about American culture, even though they live in America. So I like that point. A town with a few Indians good. A neighborhood with to many Indians, bad. There are to many pakora gassers who only socialize with fellow-Indians and drink tea. In the long run this will hurt the children who will grow up more like an Indian, than American. In America, American upbringing is preferable. The rules of India don't work here. For instance, go to Penn-state, drive a Corolla, get fat eating fried indian food, get a nerdy job u hate and tons of debt.... That's so outdated.

Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM

Man, I fully agree with everyone's point of view here. A person should be exploring and learning the culture of the place where he/she lives. And I would love to do that if I stay here for long.

But I am here for 8-10 months and my wife (housewife), 3 yr kid and parents would be coming here as well. My parents dont understand english and now old to get verse with it. So I need a place where they can socialize a bit and with others who speak a language they understand and I can go to work peacefully!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:15 AM

22 posts, read 35,927 times
Must be easy to get a work visa nowadays...not only do we outsource jobs to india, we bring these people in to work here. Christ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey