Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 05:31 PM

181 posts, read 303,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post
1. It is your responsibility to get off at the right stop, not NJ transits.

2. It is ridiculous to report a guy for doing his job. If you do not have a ticket or any money, that is your problem. He let you ride anyways and you still report him?

3. They are train conductors, not baby sitters.
Yeah lady, who do you think you are? You made a mistake and you expect compassion, do you know who your dealing with here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
4. Just because an angry customer "reports" an employee, that doesn't mean they're automatically fired that day (thankfully).

5. You pay $193 to get from point A to point B as many times as you want in a month, not for your own personal Jeeves.

Bottom line, most of these "problems" (getting on a Hoboken-bound train, forgetting your wallet) are your own fault, not the fault of the conductors. Time to grow up.
That's right you made a mistake so don't expect any help.

Old 10-22-2011, 05:37 PM

Sure she made a mistake, but they could have made her life just a little bit easier, heaven forbid someone goes out of there way to make someones day easier.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
History of How the Government ruined Amtrak and the Railroad industry

Let's see, forcing NY Central to incorporate a bankrupt rail company.
Endless regulations enforcing more employees, ridiculous schedule scriptures, etc.

There's a place for regulations but if they suck they're going to choke an industry.

You don't need to be a big-L Libertarian to see that, or even a little libertarian. It's just common sense.

Reading about the propsed Tenafly-Hudson-Begrn-Lightrail line, I read apparently FRA has a regulation that says that if a freight line is going to also carry passengers, there has to be a 6-hour difference in the schedule, for "safety" to avoid collisions. Something like that. There is a safety issue but come on.
Just one example of dumb regulations can pile on to kill an industry.
Well you can't have Light Rail mixing with Heavy Freight , although i think the Rule should be 2hrs not 6hrs... The Good thing about this line and a few more lines slated for LRT use is there on dying freight corridors. Its one of the few FRA regulations I agree with...

Old 10-22-2011, 11:08 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,087 times
Quote:
There's a lot more to an environmental impact study than how much fuel is used.
That's what I'm saying. Freggin' WHY!? Trains are better for the environment, if we're to believe global warming, and even if we don't. They use less fuel. Especially when electrified. And all train lines can eventually be electrified, so it always leaves the option open.

These are all trains that will run on lines that already exist. Nobody will need to cut through forests and lay new track. All the tracks are already there. So what's just putting on some trains and driving them going to do? It's silly

We've got hundreds of miles of unused track in this country, and hundreds more that could easily used to transport people besides just freight. And we wonder why there's no jobs around (not that that's the ONLY reason). Third world countries are dirt poor because they have no infrastructure, and we're deliberately leaving our lying around unused.

Anyway, I don't remember exactly what the FRA rule was with passenger trains going on rails also used for freight, but it was something like what I had said, and I certainly remewmber it being really stupid. It's these sorts of ridiculously written regulations that have plagued trains and other industries in this country

Old 10-22-2011, 11:10 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,099,087 times
Quote:
Light Rail mixing with Heavy Freight
well yeah obviously, can't even happen, different gauges and load capabilities. The point is whatever the law is exactly I certainly remember it being really stupid

Old 10-23-2011, 12:32 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,208,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuttree View Post
well yeah obviously, can't even happen, different gauges and load capabilities. The point is whatever the law is exactly I certainly remember it being really stupid
Camden River Line is standard gauge, and runs diesel, so you could physically run the trains on the heavy tracks (though not vice-versa)

Newark Light Rail is also standard gauge, and does share trackage with heavy freight. I'm not sure how they managed that under FRA rules.

Hudson-Bergen Light rail is standard gauge, but uses the wrong power system to run on any of the heavy systems.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:06 PM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Camden River Line is standard gauge, and runs diesel, so you could physically run the trains on the heavy tracks (though not vice-versa)

Newark Light Rail is also standard gauge, and does share trackage with heavy freight. I'm not sure how they managed that under FRA rules.

Hudson-Bergen Light rail is standard gauge, but uses the wrong power system to run on any of the heavy systems.
Yep, all standard 4' 8.5" gauge tracks, as they were all built using parts of existing trackage.

I believe the proposed extension for the HBLR is to use DMU just like the River Line as well, so there wouldn't even bee a need to electrify. I do think those tracks will need to be replaced though. They're pretty rickety and I think trains have a very low speed limit on that line.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
Yep, all standard 4' 8.5" gauge tracks, as they were all built using parts of existing trackage.

I believe the proposed extension for the HBLR is to use DMU just like the River Line as well, so there wouldn't even bee a need to electrify. I do think those tracks will need to be replaced though. They're pretty rickety and I think trains have a very low speed limit on that line.
No its going to be Electric , they determined that the Diesel option down the Road would cause alot of issues , alot of people in this region wanted a one seat ride , and the Buy America Rail car company went bankrupt....so it became cheaper to Electrify then go Diesel. The Bergen - Passaic LRT will be Diesel , along with all the South Jersey LRT extensions. All the Hudson - Bergen LRT extensions and the Newark LRT extensions will be Electric. The Track will be replaced from North Bergen to Cresskill and Double Tracked... The only town opposing now is Teanfly , although Cresskill wants a station now....so that might put pressure on Tenafly. Englewood has begun redeveloping along the tracks , along with Ridgefield park , so there now waiting for the line to be built.

Old 10-23-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post

They don't have to share anymore , the last company NS served left , so now they have that part to themselves. There will be a few extensions into East Orange and West Orange along the Abandoned NS track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey