U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-30-2007, 12:36 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,372 times
Reputation: 12

Advertisements

I've been lurking around for a while and just never had the opportunity to make my post(s), so while on lunch break...

So in response to the topic first, is there a 'curse' on New Jerseyans? I don't quite agree with that. I knew a lot of New Jerseyans who really did go through some really incredible things in their lives. It goes from the child getting kicked out of the house before high school graduation and had to bounce between one friend's house to another. Or kids who had to take 3 jobs because they had to pay for college, rent, and feed themselves. Girls who work in shady places or as strippers to pay off college. Someone I knew - her mother decided to cut her off so she had to quit school, work to feed herself, only to find out that she had a really serious medical condition which would cost her hundreds of dollars a week for her prescription - namely because she was insured.

So if you look at it - sure, they seemed 'cursed' and their lives were very, very difficult. But at the same time, these are some of the brightest, most intellectual, sweetest, funniest, and wonderful people I know. They are tough - so tough that they won't let anything break them and they would keep on going with their lives. I, for one, admire and applaud them for their toughness - and their determination to go on with their lives without letting anything to drag them down.

On a side note - in responses to other things other posters had commented here...

I personally thought the Jersey Devil story was rather sad. An unborn child who was so unwanted by his own mother that she wished he was a devil and begone from her life. He then had to live out in the Pineland on his own, because no one would ever accept him for who he was - but was it his fault that he was born that way? I personally thought that was kind of depressing... (On a funny note - I actually knew a person who was the 13th descendent of the Leed Family.)

There are quite a few fine restaurants in Princeton - though I'm not sure one might look for for a wedding reception. It all depends on what one would like - and how much one is willing to spend. If you think you could and want to spend the money, I'm sure you could find something. If Princeton's restaurants are really that bad - why would people be breaking their heads to book a spot? The Princeton University Chapel (only open to alum and those who are part of the church) is booked about 3 years in advance - there are reasons for people to want to get married in that area. (Not to mention Bent Spoon has the most amazing ice-cream/sorbet.)

In regards to the "inflated 5.0" grade - that's the grade they give out for advanced classes the kids take. Maybe things were done very differently in Manalapan - but in the high school that I went to in Jersey, advanced classes such as Accelerated, AP, and college courses do weigh more than your normal classes. They had a separate grade because it would be unfair to not reflect that on your transcript - because the child is, after all, taking a more difficult and higher level course. As a matter of fact - my school didn't have a ranking system. We were so competitive that a 3.5 GPA could have landed you at 50th percentile. Not to mention many of our teachers did their own grading system - most commonly were the 7 and 8 point system. A 93 could be a B+ instead of an A-. So if you're taking an Advanced English class, with a teacher who ran a 7 point scale, and you got a B because you scored a 90. That is not exactly the same as another student who's taking regular English who got a B because he scored an 85.

There are also a lot, and I do mean a lot, of cultural, musical, educational, etc.. events that go around. Princeton has a jazz fest every September that attracts tens of thousands of people. Rutgers stages a Folk Fest every year - featuring a different country every year. There are tons of amazingly talented musicians around - who prefer keeping themselves low key - who deserve much more credit. Just because they don't flaunt it, it doesn't mean we should discredit the good selection of varied musicians that we have in Jersey, who are amazingly talented. Princeton High School's Studio Band was rated as the BEST high school jazz band across the country - year after year. And they also take home various BEST instrumental trophies. Their high school chorus was also the ONLY high school chorus in the States who was invited to Moscow's 850th anniversary to perform. Dali Lama was also in Rutgers to give a speech - if Jersey is such a horrible horrible place to be in - why would Dali Lama come? (Please don't argue that he had been in worse situation - and therefore New Jersey is not much compared to his past experience...)

I believe I have more to respond to... But time is running short and this probably was a really long post. So I shall spare you from further reading.

 
Old 08-30-2007, 03:00 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,299 posts, read 2,056,887 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikori View Post
So if you look at it - sure, they seemed 'cursed' and their lives were very, very difficult. But at the same time, these are some of the brightest, most intellectual, sweetest, funniest, and wonderful people I know. They are tough - so tough that they won't let anything break them and they would keep on going with their lives. I, for one, admire and applaud them for their toughness - and their determination to go on with their lives without letting anything to drag them down.
Yes but I also noticed that the people I've come across have also become hardened and desensitized,thus receiving the label 'insensitive' etc from outsiders. It's like a passive-aggressive thing. I've also noticed that the people I went to school with are not as warm as say people in other states that I made friends with. It's like friends are only akin to business partners in NJ,I even heard someone say 'what can you add to my life'? as if they were holding a competition for friends. Not the warmest people I've ever met. And I'm from there!
 
Old 08-30-2007, 09:05 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,866 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikori View Post
I've been lurking around for a while and just never had the opportunity to make my post(s), so while on lunch break...

So in response to the topic first, is there a 'curse' on New Jerseyans? I don't quite agree with that. I knew a lot of New Jerseyans who really did go through some really incredible things in their lives. It goes from the child getting kicked out of the house before high school graduation and had to bounce between one friend's house to another. Or kids who had to take 3 jobs because they had to pay for college, rent, and feed themselves. Girls who work in shady places or as strippers to pay off college. Someone I knew - her mother decided to cut her off so she had to quit school, work to feed herself, only to find out that she had a really serious medical condition which would cost her hundreds of dollars a week for her prescription - namely because she was insured.

So if you look at it - sure, they seemed 'cursed' and their lives were very, very difficult. But at the same time, these are some of the brightest, most intellectual, sweetest, funniest, and wonderful people I know. They are tough - so tough that they won't let anything break them and they would keep on going with their lives. I, for one, admire and applaud them for their toughness - and their determination to go on with their lives without letting anything to drag them down.

On a side note - in responses to other things other posters had commented here...

I personally thought the Jersey Devil story was rather sad. An unborn child who was so unwanted by his own mother that she wished he was a devil and begone from her life. He then had to live out in the Pineland on his own, because no one would ever accept him for who he was - but was it his fault that he was born that way? I personally thought that was kind of depressing... (On a funny note - I actually knew a person who was the 13th descendent of the Leed Family.)

There are quite a few fine restaurants in Princeton - though I'm not sure one might look for for a wedding reception. It all depends on what one would like - and how much one is willing to spend. If you think you could and want to spend the money, I'm sure you could find something. If Princeton's restaurants are really that bad - why would people be breaking their heads to book a spot? The Princeton University Chapel (only open to alum and those who are part of the church) is booked about 3 years in advance - there are reasons for people to want to get married in that area. (Not to mention Bent Spoon has the most amazing ice-cream/sorbet.)

In regards to the "inflated 5.0" grade - that's the grade they give out for advanced classes the kids take. Maybe things were done very differently in Manalapan - but in the high school that I went to in Jersey, advanced classes such as Accelerated, AP, and college courses do weigh more than your normal classes. They had a separate grade because it would be unfair to not reflect that on your transcript - because the child is, after all, taking a more difficult and higher level course. As a matter of fact - my school didn't have a ranking system. We were so competitive that a 3.5 GPA could have landed you at 50th percentile. Not to mention many of our teachers did their own grading system - most commonly were the 7 and 8 point system. A 93 could be a B+ instead of an A-. So if you're taking an Advanced English class, with a teacher who ran a 7 point scale, and you got a B because you scored a 90. That is not exactly the same as another student who's taking regular English who got a B because he scored an 85.

There are also a lot, and I do mean a lot, of cultural, musical, educational, etc.. events that go around. Princeton has a jazz fest every September that attracts tens of thousands of people. Rutgers stages a Folk Fest every year - featuring a different country every year. There are tons of amazingly talented musicians around - who prefer keeping themselves low key - who deserve much more credit. Just because they don't flaunt it, it doesn't mean we should discredit the good selection of varied musicians that we have in Jersey, who are amazingly talented. Princeton High School's Studio Band was rated as the BEST high school jazz band across the country - year after year. And they also take home various BEST instrumental trophies. Their high school chorus was also the ONLY high school chorus in the States who was invited to Moscow's 850th anniversary to perform. Dali Lama was also in Rutgers to give a speech - if Jersey is such a horrible horrible place to be in - why would Dali Lama come? (Please don't argue that he had been in worse situation - and therefore New Jersey is not much compared to his past experience...)

I believe I have more to respond to... But time is running short and this probably was a really long post. So I shall spare you from further reading.
My daughter took AP and honor classes in Nashville and it was still on a 4.0 scale, which is what her average was there for her senior year.
There were no minus grades there and a 92 was a B, you needed 93 to get an A.
And why would I even want to even listen to Dali Lama?

Diane
 
Old 08-30-2007, 09:13 PM
 
2,670 posts, read 3,677,411 times
Reputation: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSo View Post
Everyone knocks NJ But southerners 'don't take kindly' to the pushy northern states
I notice that sometimes southerners think we look down on them...
 
Old 08-30-2007, 10:29 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,299 posts, read 2,056,887 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I notice that sometimes southerners think we look down on them...
Not sure about that but I have heard them imply they don't like arrogance.
 
Old 08-31-2007, 12:10 PM
 
4 posts, read 10,372 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
My daughter took AP and honor classes in Nashville and it was still on a 4.0 scale, which is what her average was there for her senior year.
There were no minus grades there and a 92 was a B, you needed 93 to get an A.
And why would I even want to even listen to Dali Lama?

Diane
And every school has a different system...? And every school is competitive in different ways...? Just because one gets an A in one school - it doesn't mean s/he would get an A in another school. A lot of schools inflate their students' grades in order to keep the GPA on the higher end - quite a few Ivy League schools do the same thing.

I do believe you totally missed my point about Dali Lama - it's not that you *want* to listen to him. It's not about YOU - it's about having the opportunity presented to one - to the people who live in the state/region - the opportunity to come and listen to him, or any other political/musical/influential/etc. figure to speak to them. If you do not wish to attend the events - that's your choice and your rights to do so. But what matters more is having that opportunity to make that decision.

And I do not mean to be rude - but using the same attitude and language that you had used - why would I want to listen to the Nashville Symphony Orchestra - or even any of your constant praises about TN and relentless bashing on Jersey? While I sympathized your very unfortunate experience in Manalapan - I do like New Jersey a lot. Why not try letting it go a bit - it seems like visiting the New Jersey forum makes you remember your unhappy past and makes you quite angry - why not let it go and move on and be happy in TN? Maybe it's because you still have families in the state - but being constantly critical of it is not going to do you - or anyone on this forum, any good.
 
Old 08-31-2007, 01:45 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,299 posts, read 2,056,887 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by chikori View Post
Why not try letting it go a bit - it seems like visiting the New Jersey forum makes you remember your unhappy past and makes you quite angry - why not let it go and move on and be happy in TN
Yea things could be worse,you could still be living in an unhappy present to which every day you're reminded of it. One day I hope to be in a happy place
 
Old 08-31-2007, 06:15 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
2,866 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Reputation: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I notice that sometimes southerners think we look down on them...
That is because Northerners do. They think Southerners are not as smart as Northerners which is not true at all. Many US Presidents came fom the south.
Remember, I'm from LI , NY orginally and its always a northerner that you find complaining. Southerners handle things in a calmer matter. I like that about living here and I could never live there again.
Diane
 
Old 08-31-2007, 07:36 PM
 
Location: TwilightZone
5,299 posts, read 2,056,887 times
Reputation: 1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Southerners handle things in a calmer matter. I like that about living here and I could never live there again.
I think that's what I like best about southerners,that rubbed off on me and I liked the change. Then I made the fatal mistake of moving back north...
 
Old 08-31-2007, 09:31 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
1,508 posts, read 4,304,526 times
Reputation: 1394
Wink I agree with you Chikori

Quote:
Originally Posted by chikori View Post
Why not try letting it go a bit - it seems like visiting the New Jersey forum makes you remember your unhappy past and makes you quite angry - why not let it go and move on and be happy in TN? Maybe it's because you still have families in the state - but being constantly critical of it is not going to do you - or anyone on this forum, any good.



because they can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top