U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 03:26 AM

164 posts, read 306,264 times

Advertisements

life isnt fun as an adult, why should kids have any fun... teach them young, thats what i say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2011, 04:43 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,807,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i dont have a problem with the decision. school is supposed to be a place where kids sit down and listen to lecture, do schoolwork and take tests. maybe people should take school a little more seriously instead of making it into a joke and complaining that kids arent learning.
Yup those kids in Springfield just don't take things seriously. The nerve of them trying to be kids for one day!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:34 AM

17,607 posts, read 14,193,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Yup those kids in Springfield just don't take things seriously. The nerve of them trying to be kids for one day!
haha, thats funny. they are kids every day. they are in school to learn about 180 days a year.

im not sure about springfield in particular but are you saying that certain towns should be allowed to celebrate halloween while others should? i guess you are basing that on some kind of standarized testing or some other metric of education success?

Old 10-26-2011, 01:20 PM

1,850 posts, read 4,288,947 times
Alot of public schools in the inner cities have banned halloween costumes for years. Usually for the highschools but it has been filtering down to the lower years. From what I remember of my nieces school, they banned the costumes because they were not only distracting but were inappropriate (3rd grade girl came in with a fake lady gaga meat suit)

They have also either banned certain types of clothing altogether (hoodies, any form of derogatory language tees, tank tops for girls and boys, anything politcal, even designer labels if the logos are large or brash). Some schools have even gone to a uniform. My niece, in public school, can only wear khaki pants, dark shoes or sneakers, and the school purple polo shirt. No Exceptions or they are sent home.

Inappropriate clothing and offensive language (depending on age) I completely understand. Anything else is just cowtowing to the pansy crybabies who want everyone to conform to their idea of what is right or wrong.

Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,807,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
haha, thats funny. they are kids every day. they are in school to learn about 180 days a year.

im not sure about springfield in particular but are you saying that certain towns should be allowed to celebrate halloween while others should? i guess you are basing that on some kind of standarized testing or some other metric of education success?

Originally Posted by CaptainNJ
i dont have a problem with the decision. school is supposed to be a place where kids sit down and listen to lecture, do schoolwork and take tests. maybe people should take school a little more seriously instead of making it into a joke and complaining that kids arent learning.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 AM

1,595 posts, read 1,142,079 times
I just don't see anything wrong with the last two hours of playing with learning about safety and Halloween history mixed in. They are going to be excited all morning regardless so why not take advantage to instill safety precautions they usually forget when in group mentality while Trick or Treating.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,101,729 times
This is my take on this topic: When I was growing up you almost never heard of any child being medicated for hyper-excitability. We had recess in elementary school when we would go outside and run around like maniacs for an hour to get that pent up energy out. They have done away with recess now. Gym was "fun" games that also let us release that energy. Now, they get gym 1x - 2x a week and many of the games we used to play (dodge ball, etc) are no longer allowed due to "safety". These are CHILDREN, not adults. They need to run around, have fun and let off steam in order to learn. An 8 year old cannot be expected to sit in the same seat for 7 hours a day and be attentive and well behaved. It's not going to happen. Then they act up and worse case scenario get put on highly addictive medication they do not really need. They need exercise and fun in their day. Without these little parties and celebrations to look forward to learning is actually stunted. No one learns anything when they are restless and bored. It's actually a disservice to the learning environment to cut this out. I also agree with others that stated that you can implement learning into the celebration with the history of the holiday, safety issues, etc. You learn more when you are having fun. That's a fact.

Old 10-27-2011, 11:00 AM

17,607 posts, read 14,193,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ
thats for reposting my comment, it was a pretty good one.

Old 10-27-2011, 12:01 PM

12,040 posts, read 9,124,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by labcjo View Post
Sounds like an ultra conservative guy to me. Last I remember, the arts, free expression, etc where all ideas the left championed. The right wanted more standardized testing in schools.

Besides, most opposition to Halloween as a holiday comes from religious groups. And when was the last time "the left" did something like ban dancing or customes. Last I saw, these guys were all dressed up themselves on Wall Street protesting!
except for the religious groups who claim it as a holiday. christians, for one...

Old 10-27-2011, 12:04 PM

12,040 posts, read 9,124,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
I have never heard of this outside the internet. Is it possible this usually happens in the bible based areas? I don't see all religious groups protesting or handing out anything about Halloween or Thanksgiving. Maybe they're just fighting back in the same way that people did when they tried to stop Christmas, Thanksgiving and all the complaining and stopping Christmas trees being displayed in public view. Some non religious/secular groups want that stopped so maybe some Christians are just doing what is done to them? I think it's very possible the war on Christmas is what started the whole thing, though I don't really know but I do remember that being the first to complain about before all the other religious, secular and non religious celebrations. Now it's well you won't allow Christmas, Thanksgiving then we want this stopped. I don't count one religious nutbag as all religious people or a group but hey maybe that's all it takes now. Know what I mean.
halloween was always celebrated in my 12 years at catholic school. i don't know of any religion that protests halloween. halloween is mild in the u.s. compared to how some other heavily catholic nations celebrate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey