U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2011, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,371 times

Advertisements

Hi, first time poster on these forums. I just wanted to get some input from some of you. I'm 25 years old, currently living in Western Canada, and I'm looking at moving to NJ to attend university in NYC for my Master's degree. I'm moving either next summer or within two years, tops. Ideally I'd move to NYC, but I have concerns over the cost of living there, as well as the price of rent. Thus I would prefer to live in an urbanized environment with good transportation to NYC.

So far, I'm really interested in moving into a studio or 1-bedroom apartment in northern Hudson County, north of Jersey City and east of Newark. I have an ex-girlfriend who I'm still good friends with, and she used to live in Weehawken. I've visited her there before, and judging from personal experience, Weehawken (and the parts of Union City I also visited) seemed lively and nice. Hoboken was very appealing too, but from what I hear, the rent there is just as expensive as it is in NYC now.

I'm also Latino in ethnicity, specifically Salvadoran, so the Hispanic nature of the area is also attractive to me.

I just have a few questions I'm hoping some of you would be able to address:

1) Are there any areas of North Hudson that I should avoid due to crime? I'm used to life in the city, so I'm not too worried about crime, but I wouldn't want to live in an area that's known to be notorious for its drug dealers, gangs, muggings, break-ins, etc.

2) Are there any communities that are known for cheap rent in North Hudson? I'm not willing to pay more than $1500 per month in rent, especially since I'm only looking at renting a studio/1-bedroom apartment. From what I've seen so far, Weehawken and Guttenberg are cheap, along with some places in Union City and North Bergen, but you guys probably know better than I do on the subject.

3) How are employment prospects in the area? I plan to attend university, most likely CUNY, so I'd like at least a part-time job in the area to help cover living expenses and/or tuition. I plan to have quite a bit of money saved up by then, but still, a part-time job would help a lot.

4) If you're totally against me moving to Hudson County, do you recommend any other places in NJ or NY where I should live?

Thanks in advance for your help, hopefully I get some solid advice on this.

Last edited by ArmandoQ; 10-24-2011 at 03:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM

576 posts, read 1,351,130 times
The nicest and safest place would be Weehawken. Car break ins and a lot of other petty and some serious crime happens in Union City and West New York. You could also look into North Bergen but make sure its the upper half, the lower half falls into the same catagory as West New York and Union City.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:18 PM

FYI I should clarify West New York and Union City are not that dangerous just not in the same league of "niceness" as Weehawken and defenitly not Hoboken.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,371 times
Thanks, cf77. Yeah, my ex-girlfriend warned me that Union City can be pretty "ghetto" in terms of appearance or demeanor, but I'm not too concerned about it. From what I know, it's still much better in terms of safety than some parts of JC or Newark.

Weehawken seems to be my top choice so far, as it's also the area of Hudson County I'm most familiar with. I just worry that by the time I'm able to move down there, I won't find any affordable place to rent (since some areas of it seem to be pretty affluent, especially right along the waterfront.)

Last edited by ArmandoQ; 10-24-2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-24-2011, 03:45 PM

390 posts, read 1,094,722 times
Hoboken and the Newport and Paulus Hook sections of Jersey City are the most expensive and desirable. Weehawken also.

The only parts that I would intentionally avoid would be sections of Jersey City.

Union City and North Bergen are largely hispanic and Spanish speaking, which can be a pro or con depending on your language/culture preferences.

The rest of Hudson County is mostly working class families. No super dangerous areas, and besides Hoboken, Newport, Paulus Hook, Weehawken etc, nothing super posh.

I'd imagine for $1,500 you could get a studio in any of these places. Maybe not Newport.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmandoQ View Post
Thanks, cf77. Yeah, my ex-girlfriend warned me that Union City can be pretty "ghetto" in terms of appearance or demeanor, but I'm not too concerned about it. From what I know, it's still much better in terms of safety than some parts of JC or Newark.
This is right on the money. As far as finding a place, I think you'll be able to find something that fits your budget in Weehawken just takes some searching time. Also don't rule out WNY and Union City . The parts closer to the water tend to be the better safer parts. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or