Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 12:51 AM

390 posts, read 1,366,906 times

Advertisements

What bad towns does Montclair border? Little Falls? Clifton? Cedar Grove? Verona? Bloomfield? West Orange? Glen Ridge? Someone gave you bad info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2011, 06:15 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,309,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RB1234 View Post
Bella5, you mean leery.
leery
adjective
be leery of these slick salesmen: wary, cautious, careful, guarded, chary, suspicious, distrustful; worried, anxious, apprehensive, hesitant, uncertain.
weary
adjective
1 he was weary after cycling: tired, worn out, exhausted, fatigued, sapped, burnt-out, dog-tired, spent, drained, prostrate, enervated; informal all in, done in, beat, ready to drop, bushed, worn to a frazzle, pooped,

...or, as I surmised and the OP confirmed, she really meant to use the word, "wary".

war·y

(Pronunciation: wair-ee)

adjective, war·i·er, war·i·est.
1. watchful; being on one's guard against danger.
2. arising from or characterized by caution: to give someone a wary look

Old 10-30-2011, 02:18 PM

117 posts, read 256,746 times
Okay, retriever... Run along now. Thank for the wonderful lesson.

No one told me bad towns border Montclair. They told me that whole area is more congested. Driving can be a pain, ie. Rt.3, small properties with high taxes, houses close together, etc. But we do like being a little more south. Quicker drive to the beach in the summer. And driving on rt.78 from NYC without traffic was really easy. We like being so close to the airport too.

Thanks, Marc. If I'm a small fish in a big pond, wouldn't it be more difficult having the citizens in Summit fit in with me? Would be cool though.

There has to be some artiness in Summit? Isn't there a visual arts building there?

Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella05 View Post
Okay, retriever... Run along now. Thank for the wonderful lesson.

No one told me bad towns border Montclair. They told me that whole area is more congested. Driving can be a pain, ie. Rt.3, small properties with high taxes, houses close together, etc. But we do like being a little more south. Quicker drive to the beach in the summer. And driving on rt.78 from NYC without traffic was really easy. We like being so close to the airport too.

Thanks, Marc. If I'm a small fish in a big pond, wouldn't it be more difficult having the citizens in Summit fit in with me? Would be cool though.

There has to be some artiness in Summit? Isn't there a visual arts building there?

Gotcha - all the best of luck with the new move!

Old 10-30-2011, 07:16 PM

Labcjo, so is it true that the area is more congested? We felt that way driving there but didn't talk to many locals.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Labcjo, so is it true that the area is more congested? We felt that way driving there but didn't talk to many locals.

I grew up in the Paterson/Paramus area, filled with shopping malls and highways that are clogged nearly all the time, and work in Manhattan, so Montclair can seem almost downright rural to me at times. Spacious properties, mostly side roads and not highways, makes it seem quite tranquil to me (and I don't think Rt. 3 actually goes into Montclair at all) Besides the Garden State Parkway, which can be a traffic nightmare, especially over the summer, and parking on weekend nights near Bloomfield Ave, I find it to be quite the opposite of congested, but it's certainly a matter of perspective. There are obviously more sleepy towns in New Jersey.

There are two major downtowns in Montclair, and both can get busy (especially, as I said, Bloomfield Ave) - but that's also the major draw of the town - loads more culture than pretty much anywhere else in New Jersey. Most of the side streets are ultra quiet all of the time.

For me at least, the key to avoiding congestion in New Jersey is being able to avoid the highways. The nice part about Montclair is that, since you have a few downtowns, you can do that most of the time. In Bergen County I'd pretty much have to get on a highway, and go to some kind of mall to do everything, and that usually meant sitting in traffic. And I hate traffic. I mean, hate. Just so so so much.

The other benefit is that Montclair offers a lot of the wealth and homes you find in other NJ upscale towns, without the snobbery. Montclair is generally thought of as one of the more progressive, liberal towns in the state.

This doesn't mean it doesn't have its downsides. Taxes are high, there are areas of town you probably don't want to live in, and, similar to other wealthy Essex County towns (Millburn, Glen Ridge - ultra rich towns), there are high instances of property crime per capita. - Largely non violent, but there are much more instances of car break ins, thefts, and burglaries than other wealthy towns outside of Essex County. - Many people blame it on the proximities to Newark, East Orange, Irvington, etc, but I'll leave that for others to debate. Summit has a much lower crime rate than Montclair. That being said, Montclair probably has a lower crime rate than most places in the NYC metro area. So again, perspective.

Best of luck, and keep us updated on how things go!

Old 10-31-2011, 06:46 AM

12 posts, read 51,939 times
I think you made a great choice with Summit!! Don't listen to what anyone has to say. I'm sure you will be happy there. Out of all those towns you we're thinking of moving to, Summit is the best choice. Good luck!

Old 10-31-2011, 10:00 AM

Thank you labjco and blue train! Really appreciiate your help! Will keep you posted.

Old 11-01-2011, 01:45 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Yes, there's a visual arts center in Summit. Very nice place actually; my wife was in a show there.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:35 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Bella, I don't think you'll have a hard time fitting in in Summit, but I live in the more middle to working class part of Summit (multi-family rentals and apartment buildings). The proximity to Rte. 24 and I-78 is really nice, and driving to the city during off-peak, as you said, is really easy. You can get to other towns with different vibes quickly, if you want to find different restaurants and/or night life (virtually non-existent in Summit). You should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey