U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2011, 07:23 PM

38 posts, read 38,468 times

Advertisements

Where are you coming from? Uptown Manhattan, NY (171st to be exact) a few blocks from the GW Bridge that is.
Why are you moving? Closer to *NEW* Job
Where will you be working ? Currently working in Jersey City "Exchange Place" , worked last year in Weehawken, NJ

Will you buy or rent? Rent most likely
What is your budget ? $1200 (including utilities and indoor parking)
What kind of place are you looking for ? Apartment, something similar and private.

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? No
Do you need/want good public schools? No

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc) Diverse, Affordable but still Safe and def not ghetto (I am already coming from a very mixed neighborhood)

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
- Indoor Parking
- No Floods / No Power Outage History
- Near Manhattan & or Transportation to get to Manhattan & Work

I been looking for places in North Bergen, Ridgefield Park, Fairview, Edgewater, Guttenberg, West NY, Union City mainly since I know the Light-Rail goes through most of those parts and I was planning on driving to Tonnell Ave Station park my car there (hopefully its covered parking) and taking the light-rail to work. My job is right across from the Path Station (Exchange Place Path Station).

Not sure if I am willing to do the roommate thing since I never been in that situation and I am trying to be on my own preferably. But I guess if there's an good deal for a place in lets say Newport, or a very nice place with indoor parking and they're looking for a roommate and doesn't cost more than what someone would pay to live alone the I can consider it.

I did look at 1 place in 2200 Paterson Plank Rd, North Bergen the guy was looking for a roommate and the room included all utilities and indoor parking. Everything was nice, but the apt was too small, rooms were next to each other and for the price didn't seem convincing. That's all for now.

Thanks in Advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:41 PM

9 posts, read 9,115 times
Give North Bergan a try. There's a variety of apartments in the area. But the neighborhood is questionable sometimes...

Old 11-02-2011, 04:20 PM

6,967 posts, read 17,763,423 times
cliffside park, edgewater weehawken, hoboken

not all have rail lines though

Old 11-06-2011, 12:46 PM

4 posts, read 7,325 times
As a former NYer, my advice is to stay put. LOL! Just kidding. In addition to Bergen County, you can also try South Orange or Maplewood. I would not buy there because the taxes are way too high, but SO is great place to rent, easily commutable, super diverse and great downtown (bars, rooftop bars, movie theater, performing arts center, restaurants, etc.) Maplewood has a great downtown, a lot of displaced NYers and no one would blink at a Black man, with his Asian lover pushing their white adopted baby. I also think you get more for your $$$ (in terms of space) in SO and Maplewood than you would in Bergen County. Also, in Bergen, you would likely commute by bus (Ewww!) rather than train.

My friend lives in The Avenue at South Orange located in downtown South Orange, NJ. Her apartment is gorgeous (very Soho chic), has on-site parking and is a 5 minute walk to downtown and the NJ Transit train to NYC (35 minutes to Penn Station) - The Avenue South Orange | Now Leasing | NJ. Not sure how much it costs, but there are other apartments in that area as well. Vose Street has some cute, inexpensive apartments and you can walk to the train from there. Also, One Prospect Street, in South Orange is an inexpensive walk-up that is a 6 minute walk to train/downtown. Stay South or Mountain Station train station though.

Old 11-07-2011, 11:39 AM

111 posts, read 277,890 times
Forget about indoor parking, it is highly doubtful you will find indoor parking at that price range unless you move to some place that is a war zone or out in the sticks

that being said....

Considering your budget and commuting wishes, my advice to you would be to look for something around union city somewhere within walking distance to the light rail station on bergenline ave and 49th street. I would advise against anything by the tonnelle ave station as the neighborhood by the tonnelle avenue station is kinda desolate at night and sketchy.

Most people on the board will tell you not to move to union city but then again these are the same people who will tell you to move to an apartment that is probably out of your price range and would also call you crazy for ever living in washington heights. Comparatively speaking union city is actually nicer than where you're at right now (washington heights) while both have a heavy latin and urban influence union city has less crime and seems less grittier. Bergenline ave is like a smaller and nicer version of 181st street with all of the shops and stores you can think of and you would have alot of amenities close to you.

If you want a little bit more of a suburban feel then your other choice would be to move to northern north bergen, but the problem with that is that you'd have to wind up driving to the light rail station on tonnelle ave (which is always under construction and has bad traffic in the morning) and paying $50 a month for parking.

Last edited by cerveza; 11-07-2011 at 11:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey