U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 01:33 PM

387 posts, read 1,234,937 times

Advertisements

i think of the raritan river as the dividing line between north and central jersey.

south jersey to me starts somewhere in ocean county.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 01:49 PM

304 posts, read 516,963 times
http://bestofnj.com/files/2009/04/new-jersey-regions-map-smaller-jpg-to-fit.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-02-2011, 02:53 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,403,928 times
I would actually divide the state up into five regions:

North Jersey: Middlesex, Somerset, Morris, Essex, Union, Hudson, Bergen & Passaic
Northwest Jersey: Warren & Sussex
Central Jersey: Mercer & Hunterdon
South Jersey: Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Salem & Cumberland
Shore: Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic & Cape May

Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM

87 posts, read 195,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HubCityMadMan View Post
I would actually divide the state up into five regions:

North Jersey: Middlesex, Somerset, Morris, Essex, Union, Hudson, Bergen & Passaic
Northwest Jersey: Warren & Sussex
Central Jersey: Mercer & Hunterdon
South Jersey: Burlington, Camden, Gloucester, Salem & Cumberland
Shore: Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic & Cape May
I would say:
North Jersey: Essex, Hudson, Bergen, Passaic, Morris, Elizabeth City, eastern Sussex
Northwest/Appalachia: Warren, western Sussex, Hunterdon
Central: Middlesex, Somerset, Union except for Elizabeth, inland Monmouth, Mercer
South Jersey: Burlington, Camden, Glouceter, Salem, Cumberland
Shore: Eastern Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic, Cape May

Old 11-03-2011, 08:52 PM

51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Jalikeakick View Post
i think of the raritan river as the dividing line between north and central jersey.

south jersey to me starts somewhere in ocean county.
So do I. I think that's a pretty commonly accepted standard.

I know when I'm on the train coming home each night, and rolling through the crumbling world that is Newark/Elizabeth/Rahway (which actually looks a little bit better these days) and then down through Woodbridge, Perth Amboy...then cross the Raritan and begin to see the watermeadows and the rivers and the boats...my soul says "AAAHHHHHHH"

Old 11-04-2011, 08:53 AM

87 posts, read 195,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
So do I. I think that's a pretty commonly accepted standard.

I know when I'm on the train coming home each night, and rolling through the crumbling world that is Newark/Elizabeth/Rahway (which actually looks a little bit better these days) and then down through Woodbridge, Perth Amboy...then cross the Raritan and begin to see the watermeadows and the rivers and the boats...my soul says "AAAHHHHHHH"
So you'd consider Metuchen, Highland Park, Edison, to be crumbling? And New Brunswick to be the cause for "ahhh..."?

Sorry folks, I lived in Middlesex County for 25 years, and we definitely consider ourselves Central.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 AM

387 posts, read 1,234,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyMarigold View Post
So you'd consider Metuchen, Highland Park, Edison, to be crumbling? And New Brunswick to be the cause for "ahhh..."?

Sorry folks, I lived in Middlesex County for 25 years, and we definitely consider ourselves Central.

i'd guestimate that 2/3 of middlesex county is south of the raritan river.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 15,748 times
I always use I 78 as the northern border and I 195 as the southern border.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:11 AM

51,289 posts, read 50,539,435 times
Quote:

My train doesn't go through any of those towns, so I don't get your "so you'd consider" assumption.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:15 PM

1,248 posts, read 2,403,928 times
Quote:
Nowhere in that person's post does he/she imply that Metuchen, HP and Edison are crumbling and New Brunswick causing "ahh".

Quote:
I have lived here my whole life and yes we do consider it central, but it is almost north. I think from a metropolitan sense it kind of belongs with the neighbors north. That is just my perspective, until you get down by Plainsboro where it nears the Princeton stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or