U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 PM

13 posts, read 24,209 times

Advertisements

I was looking into renting but as rent seems kinda high, figure I'll just try to buy. I was looking into Somerset, South Brunswick. Would like an area between the parkway and Turnpike...

In regards to the best bang for your buck(size of the house, size of the lot), is it better to live around route 3, Nutley, Bloomfield ( the nicer section of Bloomfield) or down around Matawan, Somerset, etc..

Where are you coming from? TN
Why are you moving? Parents
Where will you be working ? New Brunswick and NY (closer commute to ny then to new brunswick)

Will you buy or rent? buy
What is your budget ? 300k or less
What kind of place are you looking for ? flexible

Will anyone (spouse, children, pets) be moving with you ? yes, children, pets and parents
Do you need/want good public schools? yes

Briefly describe the kind of neighborhood you'd like to live in
(examples: families with young children, young, mature, artsy, diverse, safe, close-knit, block parties, etc)
Affordable safe area with good schools. families w/young children is great. an area where a kid can ride their bike...

List three things that are important to you in order of importance.
-safety, schools and good air quality

Thank you for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 12:10 PM

Forgot to mention, a place where property taxes are not as high. I read that some counties are really high compared to others.

Thank you

Old 11-01-2011, 12:19 PM

87 posts, read 195,927 times
Even assuming you only want a 3BR place, you're going to be hard-pressed to find one that's nearer to New York than New Brunswick, in a good school district, for under $300,000.

Matawan area would meet your criteria, I guess, but it's only closer to NYC than New Brunswick in the sense that it's easy (although not quick) to get to NYC on the train, but really complicated to get to New Brunswick. Everything else you mentioned is more expensive.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,953,575 times
The ironic thing about it is that their is no official definition by the state of what the defining line between North and Central Jersey.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
The ironic thing about it is that their is no official definition by the state of what the defining line between North and Central Jersey.
I'd say that Central Jersey is where you live if people in South Jersey say you live Up North and people in North Jersey say you live Down South. More seriously, I consider the northern border of Central Jersey to be the towns along Rt 22/the Raritan Valley NJT line. Cranford, Clark, Westfield, Somerville, Bridgewater, etc.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:11 PM

I just base it on Craigslist

Old 11-01-2011, 09:38 PM

6,271 posts, read 15,512,369 times
Itnenaer,

For the "bang for the buck" factor, you're going to do better in Matawan/Old Bridge/Hazlet/etc. area than in Nutley/Bloomfield/Rt 3/etc. area. House prices may be similar in some cases, but you'll get more house farther south. Property taxes in Essex County (Nutley, Bloomfield) are among the highest in the state on average. I'm not an expert on schools, but have always heard the schools in Old Bridge are very good, and they have express buses to Manhattan. Not the fastest commute, but lots of people do it (so it must not be terrible, right?)

Another option might be parts of Woodbridge (Colonia, Avenel). Not sure about the schools, but it's a relatively affordable yet seemingly-decent area between NY and New Brunswick.

Metuchen would be a great pick, but it's usually priced pretty high. Worth looking into, though!

Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,500,946 times
You won't find what you can afford in North NJ so stick with Central. Also, property tax is just very expensive in NJ so the question is..."Is it cheaper than most other counties in NJ?"

Overall, NJ property tax is hella expensive but in return you hope to get good public education system out of it.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:12 PM

8,385 posts, read 9,953,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyMarigold View Post
I'd say that Central Jersey is where you live if people in South Jersey say you live Up North and people in North Jersey say you live Down South. More seriously, I consider the northern border of Central Jersey to be the towns along Rt 22/the Raritan Valley NJT line. Cranford, Clark, Westfield, Somerville, Bridgewater, etc.
For me personally anything north of Mercer and Monmouth County is North Jersey.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
For me personally anything north of Mercer and Monmouth County is North Jersey.
Yes, and to anyone living in Morris County, Middlesex and Somerset Counties are "South Jersey." That's exactly my point--that you think it's North, and people up north think it's South, therefore it's Central. Overall I'd say Central = Somerset, Middlesex, the northern part of Mercer, southern part of Union, western part of Monmouth, maybe even down a bit into Ocean County. But I'd count the Shore as a distinct area from Central--I'd divide it Northeast, Northwest, Central, Shore, and South.

To the OP, Craigslist is a terrible way to judge, there are houses on one forum that should be on the other, some houses on both, and you'll never convince me that Lawrenceville is Central--it's practically in Philadelphia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or