U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 07:39 AM

12,542 posts, read 17,732,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theworkingmom View Post
Bay is correct. The towing company watches people to see if the person that parks starts walking anywhere else but into Shoprite/BJs. Once you are out of sight they tow your car. Technically they are not supposed to do that. Shoprite/BJ's is supposed to call the towing company and have cars towed. But these towing companies see big bucks and people pay. These corrupt practices had been on the news a few months back.
what if the spotter is an employee of the owner of the building or one of the retail stores, calling the towing company to enforce the rules? Nah, that would be crazy.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 12:04 PM

14 posts, read 65,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
amazing that people would park on private property that's for shoppers and justify it as not being "nickel and dimed" by NJ. i wonder who the companies they work for nickel and dime.
Are you a business owner in the plaza?

If not, why do you care? Are you a member of the moral police brigade here to make a stand?

The intention of this thread wasn't whether to find out if people believe it was right or wrong. But thanks for the input!

Old 11-03-2011, 12:12 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,473,642 times
I care because I shop there and if they didn't do this, I would never be able to find a parking spot. I love how it is predatory because the guy that wrote the story got towed. He mentioned the rules for predatory and it seemed everything the owner was doing was legal.

Unbelievable that people think they have the right to use someone else's property any way they want just because there are "free" spaces.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:57 PM

14 posts, read 65,969 times
Have you actually been to this lot? There are literally thousands of open spots at any period of the day on any given day of the week.

Anyways, thanks to this thread, I found an incredibly reliable and cheap alternative. I hope you never have to face predatory towing companies in any area, because if you do, get your wallet ready. It is not a pleasant experience.

PS. I'm still chuckling at people like you...Why do you care so much? It's not like people are parking in your residential driveway.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:01 PM

592 posts, read 1,922,278 times
My mom's car was towed from that parking lot. She had no idea was just visiting from out of state. Parked the car there, went to shoprite and BJs bought a bunch stuff, then saw macy's and went there to buy some stuff, when she came back in 15 mins, the car was gone. Spent 30 mins trying to find the car, then called the cops thinking it was stolen.

I had to get out of work and drive her to some shady lot to get the car back, was really pissed off but the lot had full bulletproof glass and in complete lockdown with some gangsta dude inside, with signs all over the place saying "dont make this difficult, you decide" etc.. Figured it was not worth it to even bother with those ass****, just paid $100 and got the car.

In most places, you park your car and are free to goto any of the surrounding stores. It's one thing to tow someone's car that are left there for hours while not shopping nearby, but beyond ridiculous to tow people's cars for going to nearby stores for <30mins especially after they shopped in the approved stores..

They have lookouts, and as soon as they see someone leave the parking lot, they call the tow truck, and within 3 mins the car is gone. I seen it happen once later on. If this is not predatory towing i dont know what is.

Never went back to that place again, goto a&p and morton williams now, much better supermarkets anyway.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:53 PM

30 posts, read 78,750 times
They do this for the same reason you have to pay for parking in the Newport Centre Mall to shop there, because if not anyone and everyone who wanted to hop on the PATH and go into NYC would do so for free, and take away spots for people who are actually shopping. It's why I havent been there in years.

Old 11-03-2011, 05:13 PM

5,370 posts, read 10,130,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
amazing that people would park on private property that's for shoppers and justify it as not being "nickel and dimed" by NJ. i wonder who the companies they work for nickel and dime.
How dare u question people that park illegally and ask if it's alright on a public message board. I should ask "has anyone ever shoplifted at shoprite and gotten away with it". Maybe they wouldn't get pissed if someone blocked there driveway to go to work.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:41 PM

51,228 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restore View Post
Have you actually been to this lot? There are literally thousands of open spots at any period of the day on any given day of the week.

Anyways, thanks to this thread, I found an incredibly reliable and cheap alternative. I hope you never have to face predatory towing companies in any area, because if you do, get your wallet ready. It is not a pleasant experience.

PS. I'm still chuckling at people like you...Why do you care so much? It's not like people are parking in your residential driveway.
I recently started working in J.C. (we moved from NYC). I took the Light Rail from Hoboken, and I noticed the huge BJ's lot and thought about the same thing--driving and parking there. LOL.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM

51,228 posts, read 50,519,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post
My mom's car was towed from that parking lot. She had no idea was just visiting from out of state. Parked the car there, went to shoprite and BJs bought a bunch stuff, then saw macy's and went there to buy some stuff, when she came back in 15 mins, the car was gone. Spent 30 mins trying to find the car, then called the cops thinking it was stolen.

I had to get out of work and drive her to some shady lot to get the car back, was really pissed off but the lot had full bulletproof glass and in complete lockdown with some gangsta dude inside, with signs all over the place saying "dont make this difficult, you decide" etc.. Figured it was not worth it to even bother with those ass****, just paid $100 and got the car.

In most places, you park your car and are free to goto any of the surrounding stores. It's one thing to tow someone's car that are left there for hours while not shopping nearby, but beyond ridiculous to tow people's cars for going to nearby stores for <30mins especially after they shopped in the approved stores..

They have lookouts, and as soon as they see someone leave the parking lot, they call the tow truck, and within 3 mins the car is gone. I seen it happen once later on. If this is not predatory towing i dont know what is.

Never went back to that place again, goto a&p and morton williams now, much better supermarkets anyway.
Maybe leave a dummy sitting in the car behind the wheel.

Or an elderly relative who doesn't mind sitting there all day. Or a homeless person who would like a place to sit out of the elements. Buy them a sandwich and a couple of beers and ask them to sit in your car for eight hours and make sure it doesn't get towed.

I am just so full of ideas tonight. I could give Hints from Heloise a run for her money.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:10 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,021,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofagunk View Post
I care because I shop there and if they didn't do this, I would never be able to find a parking spot.
really?!? the parking lot is so huge that even at the busiest hour it is hardly half full.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or