U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 PM

13 posts, read 24,209 times

Advertisements

Based on my experience with a fallen tree, my insurance company said that as long as the tree was alive prior to it falling, then its the responsibility of the homeowners. Meaning, your tree falls on my yard, its my insurance. @ least that in TN. not sure if its the same here.

I had my tree fall on my neighbors yards and I called the insurance right away and thats what they told me. I was surprised, but oh well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 04:13 PM

432 posts, read 1,140,078 times
Make sure you take pictures before anything gets removed.
They may be necessary to be reimbursed by an Insurance company or for other reasons.

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 PM

1,787 posts, read 4,800,063 times
If your neighbor's tree was dead [and he knew it] and you can prove neglect, then your neighbor would be responsible. If the tree was alive when it fell, then it is an act of god and the insurance won't cover anything unless the tree damaged structures or vehicles.

I had a 100-year old tree fall into two of my neighbors' yards...HUGE tree took out three other trees on the way down...insurance didn't cover squat. We all cut and moved it and the part of the tree that was just too big to deal with was removed by a tree person, at my cost.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:21 AM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 2,590,236 times
well...I called power company once again to report down tree and down wire yesterday afternoon. Luckily, I got to talk to the real person. Last night when my husband went back to check, the trunk was chopped and branches are moved aside. Now we just need to take some time to chop/clean those big branches in my front yard. Township website stated that they will start wood chipping as soon as possibl.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:12 AM

1,185 posts, read 3,405,686 times
Absolutely take pictures of any damage AND of the tree. You want to be able to show where it lies on you property relative to your neighbor's property.

My next statement is not a reflection on neighbors, just a comment on self-sufficiency. Don't rely on neighbors to report stuff, even if they work for the town you live in. Make the call to the Public Works Department. If that line is down, call the non-emergency number for the police and ask them who you should contact.

Regarding your liability and who pays for what, that will all depend on how your policy is written. You should notify your insurance agent immediately of the situation. In turn, they should send out an adjuster to look at the damage or give you authorization to have a tree service come in and remove the portion of the tree that is on your property.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:36 PM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 2,590,236 times
There is no damage to the house. All fell into our property are big branches, but they are not anywhere near the house. All my flower beds are not even touched by those fellen branches. The trunk is on the street. Our front setback is 50 feet which leave plenty of space when neighbor's tree fell. If there is no damage to the house, should I still call insurance company? I do have pictures I took on Sunday while those branches are still cover by snow.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:20 PM

1,787 posts, read 4,800,063 times
Call your insurance company and ask about your coverage, unless you have a copy of your policy. But, if there's no damage, what would you want covered?

Old 11-02-2011, 03:57 PM

13,566 posts, read 16,078,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
There is no damage to the house. All fell into our property are big branches, but they are not anywhere near the house. All my flower beds are not even touched by those fellen branches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
if there's no damage, what would you want covered?

Exactly.
Unless you have actual damage and can file a claim based on that damage, why would you be calling your home insurance company?

If you just need to chat, there are chat lines that you can use, rather than calling your insurance company and wasting their time.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:08 PM

1,185 posts, read 3,405,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
There is no damage to the house. All fell into our property are big branches, but they are not anywhere near the house. All my flower beds are not even touched by those fellen branches. The trunk is on the street. Our front setback is 50 feet which leave plenty of space when neighbor's tree fell. If there is no damage to the house, should I still call insurance company? I do have pictures I took on Sunday while those branches are still cover by snow.
If there is no damage to the house, then there is no reason to call the insurance company.

Keep the pictures just for future reference.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:33 AM

4,074 posts, read 7,049,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
I had a 100-year old tree fall into two of my neighbors' yards...HUGE tree took out three other trees on the way down...insurance didn't cover squat. We all cut and moved it and the part of the tree that was just too big to deal with was removed by a tree person, at my cost.

Need more of this. People actually just rolling up their sleeves and dealing with the problem, together as neighbors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey