U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 09:57 AM
bay bay started this thread

425 posts, read 2,589,469 times

Advertisements

After snowstorm last weekend, my neighbor across the street had a big oak tree fell. One side of the trunk hanging on the wire and the other side is down on the street. All of its big branches falling into my front yard and the street which blocking the access to my driveway so that I was not able to get into my driveway now. Luckily the house is not damage. I spoke to the neighbor and he said the power company has to remove the trunk as it touches the hanging wire and town will put those on the street away. Whatever fell into private property will be owner's responsibility. Lucky him that all branches and trunk of his dead tree fell into our yard. All he had now is a broken trunk with no immediate danger to remove. He said that he will wait until price come down and then have someone to remove the rest of dead tree. Originally, we were hoping that he will want to share the cost with us to remove all those branches from his dead tree. However, it does not sound like he wants to do so since those mess are not on his property.
As of last night, the big trunk is still there blocking the street and town refuses to remove it as it touch the hanging wire and power company truck cannot access the area due to all branches and broken trunk blocking the street. Well.. who needs to intial the action now? I try to call tree service, but they are extremely busy now and no one answer the call. I just want to be able to go back home even though there is no power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 10:03 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,303,406 times
If the fallen branches damaged property, your homeowners should cover it and your neighbor's insurance company will probably reimburse your company. Otherwise you are probably stuck with the cost of removal for limbs on your property. Maybe you can wait it out and he will take care of it when a tree service becomes available.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:05 AM

2,508 posts, read 5,262,395 times
Tough situation. The power company needs to make the first move, then town, then you.

Keep calling the town..at least once a day for an update.

Last edited by Goldendoodle1969; 11-01-2011 at 10:16 AM..

Old 11-01-2011, 10:16 AM

17,216 posts, read 14,812,677 times
Yes, you can't do anything until the power company comes out.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:23 AM

Actually one of my street neighbors works for town (building department). I think she should've already reported it. If I want to get the update, which department in town hall I can call? The power company only has automatic outage report line. We do not get to speak with real person. My neighbor reported down wire on Saturday and I also reported down wire on Sunday. (neighbor's tree and my wire were not down on Saturday beofore I left the house)

Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
Actually one of my street neighbors works for town (building department). I think she should've already reported it. If I want to get the update, which department in town hall I can call? The power company only has automatic outage report line. We do not get to speak with real person. My neighbor reported down wire on Saturday and I also reported down wire on Sunday. (neighbor's tree and my wire were not down on Saturday beofore I left the house)
You should contact the Public Works Department at the town and you should have every neighbor on your street who is effected by this do the same.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
You should contact the Public Works Department at the town and you should have every neighbor on your street who is effected by this do the same.
Unfortunately the town hall is closed due to no power. Well..I don't even have a place to complain...
Just hope at least the power can be back on for schools or childcare center tomorrow. We both are working and cannot handle any more school closing.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay View Post
Unfortunately the town hall is closed due to no power. Well..I don't even have a place to complain...
Just hope at least the power can be back on for schools or childcare center tomorrow. We both are working and cannot handle any more school closing.
What town are you in?

Old 11-01-2011, 11:43 AM

4,074 posts, read 7,045,383 times
There are only a few (thousand) trees down that need to be cleared. Make sure you have notified the electric company that the tree is down on wire. Other than that, I think you're stuck waiting at this point.

As to costs, I think this falls under "act of God" and you will need to handle the cost of branch removal (though if your neighbor is nice, might offer to share).

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdstyles View Post
What town are you in?
Berkeley Heights.
As of yesterday, 90% of residents still have no power. Schools in the neighborhood towns all closed for Monday and Tuesday. Not sure about Wednesday.

Last time after Irene, we lost power for 8 days while we didn't even have tree down. This time, the situation is worse. I am not sure when we can have power back on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey