U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 12:10 PM

5,079 posts, read 7,249,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Do you have any Idea how many power lines were downed in this storm? They will get to your street when it is time to re energize your primary line.

If you live in NJ you should have a generator.
My street and the next 3 over have been closed since Saturday...... NO ONE taking care of any of them! You would think in 6 days, someone could at least begin. The extent of the damage on this mountain is enormous and will take more than a day just to clean up. Beginning would be a really good idea....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 12:18 PM

6,481 posts, read 9,814,332 times
Quote:
The point being if you don't want to be without power for even 4-5 hrs than you need a generator.

I used to live in a PSE&G area and we had power glitches almost weekly.

Too may people, too many trees and a freak October snow storm can and did wreck havoc on parts of NJ. If this happened in December it would be a non issue.
Who said anything about not wanting to be out for 4-5 hours? We were out for 7 hours with the Irene and 9 hours with Lee. No worries. I honestly didn't even think of complaining about this until it got to 4 days. Now it's 6 days, and I'm complaining.

I have lived in NJ for over 40 years and this is the only time I have ever been without power for more than one day.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
My street and the next 3 over have been closed since Saturday...... NO ONE taking care of any of them! You would think in 6 days, someone could at least begin. The extent of the damage on this mountain is enormous and will take more than a day just to clean up. Beginning would be a really good idea....
My street is open and the main one after it, but other than that it seems like every other road is closed. It's been taking me 20 minutes to get where it should take 5.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
I can tell you that JCP&L most definitely does communicate with their customers. How do I know this? Because one of my friends, who has been without power since Saturday, related the following tale to me:

Last night, about 3:00 AM, she was awakened by her phone ringing.
She answered the phone and listened to a "robot-caller" telling her that her electrical service had been restored. She arose from her bed in order to try to start her furnace and other appliances, only to find that her power had NOT been restored.

So--JCP&L managed to ruin a night's sleep for her and to get her out from under 4 blankets in order to run around her cold house in vain for until she figured out that JCP&L had screwed up again. She then phoned JCP&L, and informed a live person that--contrary to the utility's belief--power had not been restored to her street. The bottom line is that power was finally restored at approximately 9:30 AM.

So, contrary to popular belief, JCP&L does communicate with their customers. Now, if we could just get them to communicate accurately....

What a bunch of screw-ups!
They have called my one friend three times in the last two days saying her power was restored and it wasn't. The first two times, she fell for it. Now she's not.

Even worse was when she called them to tell them that her power was not restored, they said her service ticket had been closed and they had to reopen it.

So if you get a cal that you are up and you are not, be sure to call and make sure your ticket is still open.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:29 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,525,274 times
Quote:
The point being if you don't want to be without power for even 4-5 hrs than you need a generator.

I used to live in a PSE&G area and we had power glitches almost weekly.

Too may people, too many trees and a freak October snow storm can and did wreck havoc on parts of NJ. If this happened in December it would be a non issue.
I understand your point and it is very valid. If you don't want to be without power, get a generator. Although, I think the greater point is that it is rather unreasonable to expect to be without power for such a prolonged period of time as people are currently experiencing. Especially, when there are companies in the state that seem to have no problem managing these events with careful planning and urgency.

People can handle being without power for a couple days. It's when we start talking about weeks, that we are starting to push the boundaries of reasonable without there having been some insane event, which this freak storm was not.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
My street is open and the main one after it, but other than that it seems like every other road is closed. It's been taking me 20 minutes to get where it should take 5.
Well, on the bright side, I'm learning back roads and side streets up here in two short weeks.

I forgot to tell my wood guy that the road was closed and then had to give him directions to go another way and I barely know it. What a mess! If this road isn't open by Tuesday, I won't get my next load of wood. His other truck won't fit under the hanging power lines.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,590,593 times
My son was crying to go back home when we drop him to daycare this morning. We have been staying with friend for a week and he is so eager to go back home. This really broke my heart. However, we still don't have any power while some of neighbors already got the light back last night. Our sagging power line was fixed last night as well, but still no power. I called JCPL this morning and lucky me get to speak with real person again. She told me that they are aware of outage of my house and immediate neighbors' houses and my ticket is still opened. Hopefully we can get the power tonight.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:50 PM

And we got power back tonight!!

Old 11-06-2011, 07:08 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,150,267 times
It was reported on the news last night that the freak snow storm last week in the Northeast knocked down five times as many trees as Hurricane Irene and that the utility Co's has seven times the number of repair crews working as they did with Irene.

So contrary to popular belief the reason the power company took so long to restore power to your house was not because they were incompetent or the employees are a bunch of lazy union slackers.

Now go order a generator for the next time an emergency occurs.
I recommend calling your local real estate agent for advise on which size generator to buy.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
And we got power back tonight!!
So happy for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey