U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,179,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Now go order a generator for the next time an emergency occurs.
And what about the large number of people that live in apartment buildings/complexes where you cannot run a generator? What are we supposed to do? Anything longer than a few days without power is unreasonable.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 AM

15,940 posts, read 10,982,938 times
Default power co will improve from lessons learned

The Lack of communication movement began with the wholesale purchase of 'hope and change'. Get used to it. sit down shut up and we'll tell you what you need to know, when you need to know it. It worked quite well so far.

I'm sure the power company will use this as a lessons learned to improve customer service unlike other power sources who have not held a lesson learned or feel the need to communicate.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 AM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,163,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoYanks34 View Post
And what about the large number of people that live in apartment buildings/complexes where you cannot run a generator? What are we supposed to do? Anything longer than a few days without power is unreasonable.
There is nothing you can do. My comments are aimed at those who do nothing but complain but have the ability to prepare in case of an emergency.
Look, stuff happens and some people were inconvenienced, but it was nothing compared to people who's homes might have been flooded or those who lost their entire homes in the tornado's of this past spring.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:29 AM

1,171 posts, read 2,179,914 times
Quote:
There is nothing you can do. My comments are aimed at those who do nothing but complain but have the ability to prepare in case of an emergency.
Look, stuff happens and some people were inconvenienced, but it was nothing compared to people who's homes might have been flooded or those who lost their entire homes in the tornado's of this past spring.
You can say that regarding just about anything. Somebody always has a worse situation than you do but that doesn't mean that you don't have a right be aggravated over poor service that you pay for. I understand keeping things in perspective when you are slightly inconvenienced without power for a day or two but when you are without power for a week, you have every reason to be upset. Especially those who have no immediate family in the area or who cannot afford to live out of a hotel for multiple days.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:31 PM

1,894 posts, read 3,711,312 times
Quote:
I'm the first one to tell people to suck it up, cowboy up, rub some dirt on it, and have a stiff upper lip. However, I think you are partially missing the point that some people are trying to make.

This isn't just about complaining about being inconvenienced (although, I think people have a right to complain, whether they were "only" out for 3 days, or they are still out to this day). And it isn't about public utility/power companies, in general. It's about JCP&L, specifically, i.e., why they consistently don't perform like PSE&G et. al., whether it comes to quality of service, timeliness of service or customer service. Just look at the robo calls JCP&L made to customers at 3 in the morning, falsely informing them that their power was back. SLOPPY, SLOPPY, SLOPPY. And when I try to call THEM, I can never, ever get anybody on the phone. Half the time, they just put the line off the hook.

And can you explain why I've lost power 6 or 7 times with JCP&L this year? Yeah, with Irene I get it. With this freak snow storm, I get it. What about the 4-5 other times I lost power this year when there was absolutely nothing going on with the weather?

I'm supposed to anticipate losing power 6-7 times per year and prepare for that? Up until this year, I had lived in PSE&G territory (yes, in NJ) all my life. In THIRTY FOUR years in PSE&G land, the power didn't go out 6-7 times...we've never needed a generator. And I had never ONCE in all that time lost power for 3 days (never mind for over a week like some people). It's not like this October snow storm is the ONLY freak weather incident to have happened in this area in the past 30 some odd years. So what's the deal with JCP&L? That's what I'M complaining about, and I post it here as confirmation that JCP&L offers shoddy "service".

By the way, did you know about the history of underground explosions connected with JCP&L in the Morristown area? Last year, Jersey Central Power & LIES tried to blame it on "combustible gas" and now they are under investigation and under orders, as per the state Board of Public Utilities, to review their underground electrical network. I think that says it all.

Lastly, it isn't fair to tell people to quit their whining just because a power outage isn't as bad as a tornado. I can tell someone who is complaining about losing his home to the Joplin tornadoes, "Stop complaining--at least you didn't lose your house AND your whole familyto Katrina." And I can tell THAT person, "Stop complaining--Katrina was nothing compared to the earthquake & tsunami in Japan." Following that philosophy, NOBODY has any right to complain about ANYTHING except for the ONE person in the universe, who does, in fact, officially have the #1 worst sob story of all recorded time.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:18 PM
PDD

8,776 posts, read 14,163,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I'm the first one to tell people to suck it up, cowboy up, rub some dirt on it, and have a stiff upper lip. However, I think you are partially missing the point that some people are trying to make.

This isn't just about complaining about being inconvenienced (although, I think people have a right to complain, whether they were "only" out for 3 days, or they are still out to this day). And it isn't about public utility/power companies, in general. It's about JCP&L, specifically, i.e., why they consistently don't perform like PSE&G et. al., whether it comes to quality of service, timeliness of service or customer service. Just look at the robo calls JCP&L made to customers at 3 in the morning, falsely informing them that their power was back. SLOPPY, SLOPPY, SLOPPY. And when I try to call THEM, I can never, ever get anybody on the phone. Half the time, they just put the line off the hook.

And can you explain why I've lost power 6 or 7 times with JCP&L this year? Yeah, with Irene I get it. With this freak snow storm, I get it. What about the 4-5 other times I lost power this year when there was absolutely nothing going on with the weather?

I'm supposed to anticipate losing power 6-7 times per year and prepare for that? Up until this year, I had lived in PSE&G territory (yes, in NJ) all my life. In THIRTY FOUR years in PSE&G land, the power didn't go out 6-7 times...we've never needed a generator. And I had never ONCE in all that time lost power for 3 days (never mind for over a week like some people). It's not like this October snow storm is the ONLY freak weather incident to have happened in this area in the past 30 some odd years. So what's the deal with JCP&L? That's what I'M complaining about, and I post it here as confirmation that JCP&L offers shoddy "service".

By the way, did you know about the history of underground explosions connected with JCP&L in the Morristown area? Last year, Jersey Central Power & LIES tried to blame it on "combustible gas" and now they are under investigation and under orders, as per the state Board of Public Utilities, to review their underground electrical network. I think that says it all.

Lastly, it isn't fair to tell people to quit their whining just because a power outage isn't as bad as a tornado. I can tell someone who is complaining about losing his home to the Joplin tornadoes, "Stop complaining--at least you didn't lose your house AND your whole familyto Katrina." And I can tell THAT person, "Stop complaining--Katrina was nothing compared to the earthquake & tsunami in Japan." Following that philosophy, NOBODY has any right to complain about ANYTHING except for the ONE person in the universe, who does, in fact, officially have the #1 worst sob story of all recorded time.
Look I know JCPL sucks I was a contractor in their territory for years but this was an exceptional storm and they are not at fault for what happened this past week.

My old neighborhood is in a PSE&G area and they have had numerous power outages in the past few years including this past week.

I installed my first generator in my own home because of too many glitches and after that I was ready for when the outages occurred.

I also made it my business to trim the trees around my service drop and phone lines.

Sometimes you just have to look out for yourself. You can't always wait for somebody to come bail you out of trouble.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:54 PM

5 posts, read 3,570 times
Would it help if people wrote to their Governor about this Utility Company?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey