U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 AM

33 posts, read 41,368 times

Advertisements

I 've been visiting Jersey Central Power and Light's website frequently since our power went off in Jefferson Township, NJ on Saturday... and the number of those people without power seems to be increasing more than decreasing. I've tried calling the company and they give me no information on when I can expect my power to come back on. One town, I saw actually has a schedule by street. Does anyone know where I can find information like this?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:02 AM

33 posts, read 41,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egerber View Post
I 've been visiting Jersey Central Power and Light's website frequently since our power went off in Jefferson Township, NJ on Saturday... and the number of those people without power seems to be increasing more than decreasing. I've tried calling the company and they give me no information on when I can expect my power to come back on. One town, I saw actually has a schedule by street. Does anyone know where I can find information like this?

Nevermind, someone just sent this to me.

[SIZE=3]https://www.firstenergycorp.com/content/dam/customer/get-help/files/Town_ETR_Estimates_Nov1_1200.pdf[/SIZE]

Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 AM

683 posts, read 158,139 times
I honestly wish Gov. Christie would chase JCPL out of the state. We should all be allowed to go back to PSEG. JCPL does NOT know how to deal with customers, customer service, or how to get enough help when they need it. They should either take lessons from PSEG on how to do it right or just leave.

I honestly think that after the fiascos of Hurricane Irene and now this October snowstorm, that something has to be done to protect the citizens of this state from becoming victims of a company that just doesn't know how to do the job.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:10 AM

14,777 posts, read 34,544,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
I honestly wish Gov. Christie would chase JCPL out of the state. We should all be allowed to go back to PSEG. JCPL does NOT know how to deal with customers, customer service, or how to get enough help when they need it. They should either take lessons from PSEG on how to do it right or just leave.

I honestly think that after the fiascos of Hurricane Irene and now this October snowstorm, that something has to be done to protect the citizens of this state from becoming victims of a company that just doesn't know how to do the job.
Agreed. The most glaring issue to me is that you have the examples of PSE&G and even Atlantic Electric that while they have their issues are clear about communicating with customers and getting the job done. If all the power companies in the state operated the same way it would be one thing, but there are obviously utilities that serve similar areas that do not have half the issues that JCPL does.

I live in South Jersey, so I'm not personally dealing with it, but the stories about JCPL on the news and their seeming utter incompetence is unbelievable. After Irene PSEG and AE rapidly posted exact numbers of outages and schedules to restore the power by area with definite dates, that they actually beat their estimates on. JCPL knew how many were without power, but couldn't for the life of them say when it would be back on, let alone for individual neighborhoods or even give a coherent explanation why power was out for weeks in certain areas.

IMO, this is a case where the government should be stepping in to see what's going on.

Old 11-02-2011, 12:25 PM

683 posts, read 158,139 times
Power to the people, power to the people right on!

Let's take back New Jersey. Get rid of JCP&L once and for all.

Give us PSEG, a company that knows how to get the job done.

You light up my life........

Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM

505 posts, read 1,521,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egerber View Post
Take these "estimates" with a grain of salt.

I saw one from the day before (Oct 31) that said by today, by town would only have 163 homes without power. After looking at their website this morning, it turns out that the number of homes without power was 1104, 8 homes MORE than the number of homes they had without power to start!!

Schedules are only valuable if thought went into it. My experience with JCP&L is that they think they are doing the right thing by giving their customers a timeline, but the fact of the matter is the timelines are complete garbage.

I am preparing a very professional letter to JCP&L outlining their failings. Then I request that they either a.) pay for my newly purchased generator or b.) cover the costs to install a transfer switch so I am no longer at the mercy of their inept "restoration" efforts.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:21 PM

6,487 posts, read 9,819,120 times
I'm tired of having no power. Even worse than not having power is not having water. Sucks when you have a well and lose power. I don't understand why priority isn't given to homes without water as well as power. The side of my town with city water is lit up like a Chirstmas tree.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:29 PM

6,487 posts, read 9,819,120 times
Also, several of my friends have gotten the automated "your power has been restored" phone call on their cell phones only to go home and find no power.

Then when they call up, JCP&L says their ticket for service was closed and they have to reopen the service call.

Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 PM

505 posts, read 1,521,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm tired of having no power. Even worse than not having power is not having water. Sucks when you have a well and lose power. I don't understand why priority isn't given to homes without water as well as power. The side of my town with city water is lit up like a Chirstmas tree.
They won't admit it, but it is all about low hanging fruit. They want to get the easy stuff first before they get to the hard stuff, regardless of factors that I think should be given some weight like your situation, or past outage times, etc.

The problem is we are now 5 days into this "restoration" phase, there should be no more low hanging fruit. That should have been taken care of by Monday.

Old 11-02-2011, 03:03 PM

14,777 posts, read 34,544,673 times
I heard an interview on the radio that was talking about the power situation. Apparently one of the big differences in response is that JCPL has not been doing any kind of major investment in their grid for quite sometime. On the other hand PSEG has been consistently investing in theirs and currently has some system that detects outages and automatically plans the work crew response to remedy the situation as efficiently as possible.

If you are a PSEG customer and your power goes out, you don't even need to call, they already know and know exactly how long it will take to fix it. On the other hand JCPL still relies on people calling them and some archaic and beurocratic system of confirming outages manually, determing the necessary repair and then generating work orders which need to get approved before work can start. Hence, the stories of JCPL trucks sitting idle for hours waiting for approval to do repairs that would only take 30 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey