Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 09:21 AM

8 posts, read 28,061 times

Advertisements

We are considering moving to NJ and were told that these communities were ones to consider. We have 3 children a high school student, a middle school student and an elementary student. I know that there are districts considered better but the housing costs in the above mentioned communities seem more reasonable than the other communities I have read about.

What are these communities like? What are the schools like? Thanks for any information you can give me!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 12:53 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
All three towns are very nice. Jackson is a bit more country IMO than Howell and Brick. Brick is very suburban. Brick has been recognized as the safest town in the U.S. for at least a couple of years now. Howell is lovely, with suburban areas but also some lovely parks and areas that have a rural feel. All three schools, as far as I have always heard, are reasonably good. All are near shopping and amenities. Brick is closest to the beach and easy access to the Parkway. Jackson has a Six Flags theme park and easy access to I-195. Howell has Rt. 9 running through it.

If I were in your shoes, I would spend as much time as possible in all three towns and just choose whichever one suits you best. I personally would go with Howell or Brick. Jackson always felt a little too large for me. I have lived in Brick and liked it very much, although after a year or two I lost the ability to make left turns, because at just about every intersection there is a jughandle for left turns! Oh and if you have a dog, Brick has a dog park. I've always liked Howell too, there are some truly lovely neighborhoods, beautiful parks, and I just liked the feel of it. If you go, be sure to stop at Ice Cream On 9, a terrific ice cream parlor in the northernmost section of Howell on Rt. 9. Also (obviously) be sure to check out real estate taxes - Howell is in Monmouth County whereas Brick and Jackson are in Ocean, and Monmouth tends to have higher taxes.

You really can't go wrong, whichever town you choose. All three are nice. Best of luck!

Old 08-25-2007, 01:49 PM

31 posts, read 225,784 times
don't know about Howell. In regards to Jackson, it's changed alot since the 70s when Great Adventure was in the middle of nowhere. It's still kinda country but more "house farms" have been sprouting around.

Both Jackson and Brick are pretty spread out. Brick has good schools and as mentioned before is considered to be one of the safest towns in the country (based on wacky stats). However, there is no real downtown. You have a highway going through the middle instead. So lots of people use Pt. Pleasant as their downtown instead. So you will have to drive the kids EVERYWHERE.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:50 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Default Brick home prices and taxes?

What should one expect to pay for a home in Brick? Lets say a 3 bed 2 bath , also what do the taxes average?

Old 08-25-2007, 09:32 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
You can check any popular real estate website for prices. Here's info on the tax rate:
Official Township of Brick Website

Old 08-28-2007, 05:01 PM

8 posts, read 28,061 times
Thanks for all your input =)

Old 09-06-2007, 07:09 PM

15 posts, read 95,601 times
Default Brick does NOT have good schools--terrible reps...read on

the valedictorian of Brick Memorial(supposedly the better of the 2 HS's in Brick)just wrote a letter to the editor in the local paper citing the abysmal percentage of kids that go onto a 4 year college--Brick is a working class town that as a whole does not hold education in high regard.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:14 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
All three towns are very nice. Jackson is a bit more country IMO than Howell and Brick. Brick is very suburban. Brick has been recognized as the safest town in the U.S. for at least a couple of years now. Howell is lovely, with suburban areas but also some lovely parks and areas that have a rural feel. All three schools, as far as I have always heard, are reasonably good. All are near shopping and amenities. Brick is closest to the beach and easy access to the Parkway. Jackson has a Six Flags theme park and easy access to I-195. Howell has Rt. 9 running through it.

If I were in your shoes, I would spend as much time as possible in all three towns and just choose whichever one suits you best. I personally would go with Howell or Brick. Jackson always felt a little too large for me. I have lived in Brick and liked it very much, although after a year or two I lost the ability to make left turns, because at just about every intersection there is a jughandle for left turns! Oh and if you have a dog, Brick has a dog park. I've always liked Howell too, there are some truly lovely neighborhoods, beautiful parks, and I just liked the feel of it. If you go, be sure to stop at Ice Cream On 9, a terrific ice cream parlor in the northernmost section of Howell on Rt. 9. Also (obviously) be sure to check out real estate taxes - Howell is in Monmouth County whereas Brick and Jackson are in Ocean, and Monmouth tends to have higher taxes.

You really can't go wrong, whichever town you choose. All three are nice. Best of luck!
All are nice, but Howell is in the Freehold Regional HS district. Parts of Howell acually go to Colts Neck HS. . The regional HS district is excellent.
Freehold Regional High School District

Diane G

Old 09-09-2007, 11:00 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
Just be careful with the Jackson schools..

Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 9,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellybelly View Post
the valedictorian of Brick Memorial(supposedly the better of the 2 HS's in Brick)just wrote a letter to the editor in the local paper citing the abysmal percentage of kids that go onto a 4 year college--Brick is a working class town that as a whole does not hold education in high regard.
i completely disagree with this. coming from brick myself i feel a need to make a distinction. Brick Memorial is NEWER, but newer doesn't always mean better, plus "Old" Brick scores higher on standardized tests. also you failed to mention how Ocean County College, one of the best county colleges in the state is only about 10 minutes away. with the economy the way it is, and the disgusting cost of "4-year" schools, community college is a logical option for students to save money and still get a great education. Just because students choose to save money doesn't make a school bad. lighten up and stop taking your advise from a valedictorian, they usually think they above the rest of us anyway.

one more thing...if you think because you send your child to an exceptional district that scores well, your kid will not necessarily do well.

Last edited by alisonraft; 05-28-2008 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: read more post by member and got even more angry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey