U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-02-2011, 12:23 PM
 
683 posts, read 158,139 times
Reputation: 511

Advertisements

Double Victims. Why must we be victims of Mother Nature & JCP&L

I can understand that we can't control Mother Nature. She does what she does and we have no say.

BUT...each time we have a weather disaster, must the people of New Jersey be a victim twice? That of Mother Nature and JCP&L?

Why can't the whole state convert back to PSE&G. They know how to do the job and get it done.

I just heard the mayor of Robbinsville (?) interviewed on WCBS-AM Radio.
I hope other mayors start standing up for their towns.

For God's Sake, NJ is where Edison created the Light Bulb, yet the people who have JCP&L can't even turn them on because of JCP&L.

Why should we be in the dark? It's time to take back New Jersey and put the lights back on.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE, POWER TO THE PEOPLE RIGHT ON!
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-02-2011, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Warren County and loving it!
5,079 posts, read 7,252,094 times
Reputation: 2557
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 08:53 PM
 
Location: The Land Mass Between NOLA and Mobile, AL
1,796 posts, read 1,293,993 times
Reputation: 1398
Can someone explain the history here to me a little bit? When I moved here, JCP&L was the only option we had for lights. I do have PSE&G for gas, so I have been getting all their updates about power, which shows they are way more on top of things than JCP&L. Why did JCP&L come into Jersey if everything was fine with PSE&G?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Epping,NH
2,097 posts, read 5,501,013 times
Reputation: 1052
Deregulation? All the utility companies cut back on the number of crews to save on costs. So this is what happens. People in this state think the companies have a thousand crews standing by. In reality, they are lucky if they have a few hundred at best. they all depend on a mutual aid pact except during this storm all the other states have the same problem. Even if they did have more crews , you can't repair point f unless point a, b,c,d & e are repaired first.

Put it all underground? Then a bad flood destroys it all. Some make it sound so easy.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 06:25 AM
 
683 posts, read 158,139 times
Reputation: 511
I can't remember the history, but when we moved here about 21 years ago, we had PSEG for both gas and electric. At some point our electric switched over to JCPL. We didn't have a choice, it was just done.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Warren County and loving it!
5,079 posts, read 7,252,094 times
Reputation: 2557
I would love to have PSE&G again. I had them for 20 years and did not have any response issues whatsoever.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 07:18 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,747,695 times
Reputation: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
Deregulation? All the utility companies cut back on the number of crews to save on costs. So this is what happens. People in this state think the companies have a thousand crews standing by. In reality, they are lucky if they have a few hundred at best. they all depend on a mutual aid pact except during this storm all the other states have the same problem. Even if they did have more crews , you can't repair point f unless point a, b,c,d & e are repaired first.

Put it all underground? Then a bad flood destroys it all. Some make it sound so easy.
underground is good and bad, as you pointed out. but the thing that strikes me as odd is that I never see utilities trimming branches. My father works for a utility in PA, and we grew up in a more rural area. They always trimmed back trees for lines that ran from town to town, so that these types of widespread outages didn't occur. we lost power often, but usually because a downed pole. it would be back on within 12 hours 99% of the time. There's a lot of towns in NJ that have very very old treescapes. You have to wonder why places don't start cleaning up some of the branches that could come down on the lines.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 08:30 AM
 
Location: Randolph, NJ
4,074 posts, read 7,056,404 times
Reputation: 3231
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
underground is good and bad, as you pointed out. but the thing that strikes me as odd is that I never see utilities trimming branches. My father works for a utility in PA, and we grew up in a more rural area. They always trimmed back trees for lines that ran from town to town, so that these types of widespread outages didn't occur. we lost power often, but usually because a downed pole. it would be back on within 12 hours 99% of the time. There's a lot of towns in NJ that have very very old treescapes. You have to wonder why places don't start cleaning up some of the branches that could come down on the lines.

They do that trimming by me, and actually did extensive pruning in my area late this summer. We still go slammed by this storm with massive power losses. But I guess it could have been worse if they hadn't pruned.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 AM
 
501 posts, read 1,231,303 times
Reputation: 642
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzsaz View Post
Double Victims. Why must we be victims of Mother Nature & JCP&L

I can understand that we can't control Mother Nature. She does what she does and we have no say.

BUT...each time we have a weather disaster, must the people of New Jersey be a victim twice? That of Mother Nature and JCP&L?

Why can't the whole state convert back to PSE&G. They know how to do the job and get it done.

I just heard the mayor of Robbinsville (?) interviewed on WCBS-AM Radio.
I hope other mayors start standing up for their towns.

For God's Sake, NJ is where Edison created the Light Bulb, yet the people who have JCP&L can't even turn them on because of JCP&L.

Why should we be in the dark? It's time to take back New Jersey and put the lights back on.

POWER TO THE PEOPLE, POWER TO THE PEOPLE RIGHT ON!
File a complaint to the New Jersey Board of Utilities. Maybe if all the people who are outraged by JCP&L file, the state will actually put pressure on this company to do their job properly.

Here's the link: Board of Public Utilities | Filing Complaints
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top