U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 06:28 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,643,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgt04 View Post
Preferably near or in Hudson County but I'm open to all of northern Jersey

Thanks for all the suggestions!

There are some great places in Northern NJ. Many find the meat from Corrodo's (both locations) Whole Foods and Fairway to be pretty good, although those are not really butcher shops.

For Hudson County I recommend Truglio's Meat Market in Hoboken. Great old school Italian butcher. Been in business forever. Excellent customer service, well stocked with most everything one could need, and are always willing to get you what ever you want - special orders with no hassle (a friend even used them to get a whole pig for a roast once) They carry fresh Turkeys around the holidays. I have never been disappointed with anything bought there, and IMHO one of the best for fresh ground beef. I have heard from others that the turn around time for special orders is very short (whole leg of lamb for the next day!) While you are there pick up their home made dried pasta too!

Let me know if you do go there!

KoalaNJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i'd love to know some near West Orange. I know of one good one in Hoboken, but I don't go there as often now with all the construction going into town.

Not sure if these are too far from you but Vila Meats in Caldwell is a good old fashioned butcher. I have a friend who lives near them and uses them all the time, says she has always been happy with their products. (as have I when I have eaten at her home)

Also A & S Italian Pork Store in West Paterson is one to check out. Great deli there too - the sandwiches are to die for! Huge, overstuffed, and sublime bread. The home made salads are so good, just like grandma made back in the day. Fresh home made Mozz too. The full service butcher is in the back of the store. I have gotten some great meat there, but I am so hooked on their home made sausages, I usually end up with a selection of them and not much other meat. (I have another butcher I use closer to my home for most things, but make a special stop here to stock up on their sausages whenever I go nearby - they are just off rte 46 on Browertown Road)

KoalaNJ

PS in case anyone is wondering about why I know so much about NJ butchers, my grandfather was a old school butcher in NJ...

Old 01-07-2014, 11:24 AM

1,185 posts, read 3,403,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoalaNJ View Post
Not sure if these are too far from you but Vila Meats in Caldwell is a good old fashioned butcher. I have a friend who lives near them and uses them all the time, says she has always been happy with their products. (as have I when I have eaten at her home)

Also A & S Italian Pork Store in West Paterson is one to check out. Great deli there too - the sandwiches are to die for! Huge, overstuffed, and sublime bread. The home made salads are so good, just like grandma made back in the day. Fresh home made Mozz too. The full service butcher is in the back of the store. I have gotten some great meat there, but I am so hooked on their home made sausages, I usually end up with a selection of them and not much other meat. (I have another butcher I use closer to my home for most things, but make a special stop here to stock up on their sausages whenever I go nearby - they are just off rte 46 on Browertown Road)

KoalaNJ

PS in case anyone is wondering about why I know so much about NJ butchers, my grandfather was a old school butcher in NJ...
Happy New Year to all!

I'm bumping this thread to the top because I'm starting another search for quality butchers here in Central Jersey. I live in South Brunswick so for me, Central Jersey can be defined as Bridgewater and Warren, south to Lawrenceville, east through Freehold and up to around Woodbridge

Specifically, I'm looking for butchers who deal in Grade Prime or +. I'm also looking for a butcher who deals regularly in dry-aged beef for Standing Rib Roasts, Rib Eyes, and Porterhouses.

To give you a frame of reference of my past experience, I was a regular at O'Connor's in Watchung from the mid-1970's through the late 1990's. My parents were friends with Chuck, Vinnie, Jack, and Tom, Jack's son.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Happy New Year to all!

I'm bumping this thread to the top because I'm starting another search for quality butchers here in Central Jersey. I live in South Brunswick so for me, Central Jersey can be defined as Bridgewater and Warren, south to Lawrenceville, east through Freehold and up to around Woodbridge

Specifically, I'm looking for butchers who deal in Grade Prime or +. I'm also looking for a butcher who deals regularly in dry-aged beef for Standing Rib Roasts, Rib Eyes, and Porterhouses.

To give you a frame of reference of my past experience, I was a regular at O'Connor's in Watchung from the mid-1970's through the late 1990's. My parents were friends with Chuck, Vinnie, Jack, and Tom, Jack's son.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

There are a couple old time butchers in your area that specialize in prime meats that I can recommend. John's Meat Market in Scotch Plains John's Meat Market - Voted NJ's best butcher and Hind & Fore in Bridgewater Hind & Fore Inc. If you are in the area, Burrini's in Randolph is another great old fashioned butcher carrying prime meats. (they age their steaks 21 days before cutting them, and they are delicious!) Butcher Shoppe

Enjoy!
KoalaNJ

Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 PM

1,185 posts, read 3,403,509 times
Thank you! I do appreciate the suggestions and will be giving them a try this month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey