U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM

42 posts, read 341,227 times

Advertisements

Can someone provide some feedback on Courtland development in Hillsborough ... which is right at border of bridgewater and hillsborough. Couple of area where i wanted to get some opinion:

1) Is this a family friendly neighborhood
2) Are the school considered good/bad? I saw great schools rating is around 8.
3) Any comment of ethic mix/type of people who lives in this community or surrounding area?
4) Any flooding concern?
5) We are mostly looking at planned community, newer built houses, with good commuting option to Roseland area. Any other place within Hillsborough or nearby we should consider?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 12:58 AM
0ic

6 posts, read 8,886 times
I've lived in Courtland since 1998, I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Definitely a family friendly neighborhood. We never had any issues with crime. There's always kids outside playing.
2. Schools are great, I believe it's Sunnymeade Elementary, Hillsborough Middle, and Hillsborough High Schools. I've personally gone through the middle and high schools, and they are top notch.
3. There's a good mix of white, Asian and south Asian. I don't remember seeing too many black families, and even fewer Hispanic families.
4. My basement never flooded, but my neighbors did (duplex). I think for the most part the neighborhood rarely floods. Mostly specific to the houses. So your mileage may vary. There were two incidents where Dickerson flooded (Floyd 99, Irene 11), but none of houses as far as I know were flooded.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:30 AM

42 posts, read 341,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ic View Post

1. Definitely a family friendly neighborhood. We never had any issues with crime. There's always kids outside playing.
2. Schools are great, I believe it's Sunnymeade Elementary, Hillsborough Middle, and Hillsborough High Schools. I've personally gone through the middle and high schools, and they are top notch.
3. There's a good mix of white, Asian and south Asian. I don't remember seeing too many black families, and even fewer Hispanic families.
4. My basement never flooded, but my neighbors did (duplex). I think for the most part the neighborhood rarely floods. Mostly specific to the houses. So your mileage may vary. There were two incidents where Dickerson flooded (Floyd 99, Irene 11), but none of houses as far as I know were flooded.

Many thanks for the info. This is really helpful - was hoping for some feedback from people who lives there. If you don't mind ... few more questions:

1) Is the HOA fee same for all the house? If yes, how much and what does it cover. Got bit confused, as most houses in Nostrand lists around $225/qtr, but we are looking for one in Campbell and it says only $100ish (doesn't mentioned qtr or monthly).

2) For the backyards, is the grass maintained by HOA or is it upto owners? Would they allow to put a fence around your property?

3) Do you have to pay for garbage disposal separately?

4) For the schools, do they provide buses? For 5th grader, middle school will be the Auten road?

4) If i ever need to travel to Manhattan - do i take the Raritrain NJ Trasit & connect to Newark/Path - would that be best option?

thanks in advance for your response.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 3,886 times
Default Basement flooding

I am also looking to buy a house in that development. Your information is very helpful. I really liked the houses in that development. Only thing we are concerned about is it's proximity to flood zone.

I dont have enough knowledge about why basements flood. Is it because it's close to flood zone or is it a general problem. I guess I will have to do some research on that.

I'd like to know How often they close Duke pkwy and for how long each time. When it's closed is there a way out of the development?.

If dickerson is closed then there is no way out, but that happened only twice in 12 years which is not bad at all.

Thanks so much in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ic View Post

Old 12-26-2011, 07:02 AM
0ic

6 posts, read 8,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prozario View Post
Many thanks for the info. This is really helpful - was hoping for some feedback from people who lives there. If you don't mind ... few more questions:

1) Is the HOA fee same for all the house? If yes, how much and what does it cover. Got bit confused, as most houses in Nostrand lists around $225/qtr, but we are looking for one in Campbell and it says only $100ish (doesn't mentioned qtr or monthly).

2) For the backyards, is the grass maintained by HOA or is it upto owners? Would they allow to put a fence around your property?

3) Do you have to pay for garbage disposal separately?

4) For the schools, do they provide buses? For 5th grader, middle school will be the Auten road?

4) If i ever need to travel to Manhattan - do i take the Raritrain NJ Trasit & connect to Newark/Path - would that be best option?

thanks in advance for your response.
Sorry, I didn't see this sooner.

1. I'm not sure what the HOA fee is, my dad's the home owner.
2. The grass is maintained by the owner up to the property line. Behind our lawn, is the public grass/park and that was maintained by the association. We never had a fence up, but I can recall several neighbors that did.
3. I'm not sure about the garbage disposal either.
4. All schools had buses. I think 5th grade is Sunnymead, and 6-8th is the middle school on Triangle rd.

Here's some additional information that I sent to someone by PM.

Dukes Parkway floods a little more often then the development itself. There is a gated exit into Manville that can be used when Dukes Parkway floods. I believe the fire department has the key to it and they'll open it when necessary. I can only remember a handful of times we've ever needed to use it, in over 10 years.

Also, even when Dukes Parkway floods, it's usually between 206 and Dickerson (in small sections) so you can still go around by taking 13th and down Brooks Blvd to 206.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey