U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 10,616 times

Advertisements

HI
I need some info on this.
I got a license and IDP from india, which they did not accept in Edison DMV, they asked me to take written test and Vision test, which I passed .For road test, they gave the appointment for Feb( 3months from now). I am a well versed in driving and have driving exp for 7 years in india,

Is there any way I can contact other DMV to pre pone my Road test. or shall i contact other DMV and write the test, if they can pre pone my road test. please suggest me an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,018,895 times
With an International Driver Permit from India, you are allowed to drive in US (upto a year?!?) but it is no way a perm substitute of US DL. You may be well versed with driving in India, but as you will find out, driving in US is VERY different - not just right v/s left hand driving but the lane system, speed restriction, respect for pedestrians and fellow drivers, etc.

You may try your luck outside of NJ but within NJ, you must take a driving test and prove that you can drive and are a safe driver before they can issue you a DL.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:39 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,498,274 times
No where in US will any DMV issue you US drivers license for international driving permit (IDP) and IDP doesn't replace US drivers license. Please note US doesn't even issue international license permit to foreigners so you'll need to get that before coming here, which looks like you did.

If you are going to reside in US, you must get US driver's license. You can get more info here Foreign Visitors Driving in the U.S. | USA.gov

By the way, you can google most of types of information pretty easily. US gov't is pretty good with making these types of information very public on internet as long as you look for them.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:36 PM

87 posts, read 195,833 times
According to this website: State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission the IDP should exempt you from the road test.

Quote:
You may use your country's driver license as proof of driving experience if you have an International Driver Permit issued by your country or if your country is a member of the United Nations Convention on Road Traffic and your license is translated into English by a consulate or an MVC approved translator.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 PM

1,185 posts, read 3,403,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyMarigold View Post
According to this website: State of New Jersey - Motor Vehicle Commission the IDP should exempt you from the road test.
That is only for non-citizens with valid visas and residency standing for specific categories.

It would be helpful if the OP gave us his/her current citizenship status.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:08 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,288,152 times
You guys must be better than me. I can't figure out what the OP means by "pre pone".

Old 11-03-2011, 05:20 PM

13,563 posts, read 16,060,181 times
In India, as well as some other Asian nations, "prepone" is apparently a synonym for postpone.
Yes, I know that this usage is counter-intuitive, but that is the reality regarding this term--at least in the OP's home nation.

If this is an example of the differences in "English" between India and the US, I am not surprised that the OP had to pass a written test.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:32 PM

17,579 posts, read 38,288,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
In India, as well as some other Asian nations, "prepone" is apparently a synonym for postpone.
Yes, I know that this usage is counter-intuitive, but that is the reality regarding this term--at least in the OP's home nation.

If this is an example of the differences in "English" between India and the US, I am not surprised that the OP had to pass a written test.
That doesn't really make sense to me. Why would the OP want to postpone his driving test?

Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM

2,060 posts, read 4,018,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
"prepone" is apparently a synonym for postpone.
No, "prepone" is the antonym of "postpone"

notice the "pre" and "post" suffix.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:43 AM

1,185 posts, read 3,403,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davenj08 View Post
No, "prepone" is the antonym of "postpone"

notice the "pre" and "post" suffix.
Bingo.

And it is a word from "Indian English."

Prepone | Define Prepone at Dictionary.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey