U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 10:06 AM

2 posts, read 8,317 times

Advertisements

So I recently moved to Newark from Chicago . I'm not living in the best neighborhood at all. Not really much of a difference from Chicago it seems, but anyway...

I think I have a pretty simple question. I'm planning to start traveling to Manhattan via Bus 39 to Newark Penn then Path train since I don't want to drive all the way there.

In Chicago when you're at a Bus Stop the bus will automatically stop if someone is standing near the sign. And It's a flat bus fee no matter where you're going
Is it the same for NJ Bus Transit?

I've been in some cities where you have to flag down a bus like it's a cab.
And Also I've heard that you have to tell the bus driver where you're going, and that determines the price of your bus ride?

Someone please help, the less stress I have to worry about anything, the better lol. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM

87 posts, read 195,833 times
You do have to flag down the bus.

I can't help with the fare, because I've always used the combination bus/train monthly pass. I know fare varies by number of zones. Have you checked the NJ transit website?

I'd add that if it's feasible from your office, personally I prefer NJ Transit to PATH. It's about 25 minutes from Newark Penn to NY Penn on NJT, but 45 from Newark Penn to WTC on the PATH.

Old 11-05-2011, 12:53 PM

51,182 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TillyMarigold View Post
You do have to flag down the bus.

I can't help with the fare, because I've always used the combination bus/train monthly pass. I know fare varies by number of zones. Have you checked the NJ transit website?

I'd add that if it's feasible from your office, personally I prefer NJ Transit to PATH. It's about 25 minutes from Newark Penn to NY Penn on NJT, but 45 from Newark Penn to WTC on the PATH.
No, that's way off. It's about 25 minutes from Newark Penn to PATH. I take PATH from Newark Penn to Exchange Place, the last stop before the WTC, and it's around 20 minutes, and the WTC is three or four minutes further.

Check the PATH schedule--that claims it's 22 minutes. Might be a couple minutes off, but it's definitely not a 45-minute trip!

Schedules - PATH - The Port Authority of NY & NJ

Here's the schedule for your bus. The fares are listed on it (no, they are not always the same). Note that you need exact change.

http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0039.pdf

Old 11-05-2011, 01:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WholeNewWorld View Post
So I recently moved to Newark from Chicago . I'm not living in the best neighborhood at all. Not really much of a difference from Chicago it seems, but anyway...

I think I have a pretty simple question. I'm planning to start traveling to Manhattan via Bus 39 to Newark Penn then Path train since I don't want to drive all the way there.

In Chicago when you're at a Bus Stop the bus will automatically stop if someone is standing near the sign. And It's a flat bus fee no matter where you're going
Is it the same for NJ Bus Transit?

I've been in some cities where you have to flag down a bus like it's a cab.
And Also I've heard that you have to tell the bus driver where you're going, and that determines the price of your bus ride?

Someone please help, the less stress I have to worry about anything, the better lol. Thanks in advance!
If there's multiple buses at the same stop, all going to different places, then yes, you need to flag it down, since the bus driver might assume you're waiting for a different bus. I flag down the bus anyway even if it's the only route at the stop, just in case.

The fare varies by zone. The #39 is a 2-zone route, so if you live west of I-78, you'll need to pay $2.35 to reach Newark Penn. If you live east of I-78, you only need to pay $1.50.

A monthly pass is $54 for Zone 1 or $72 for Zone 2 travel.

If you're going to Midtown Manhattan, you don't have to take the PATH: You can buy a rail pass to NY Penn (also valid on the bus for free) for $139.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:46 PM

696 posts, read 1,203,612 times
Where exactly do you live? You talk about the 39 so I depending where you are you could walk to the 107 and take it straight into Port Authority.

And yeah, if you're in Irvington you have to pay extra. Newark is a one-zone fare. Go to the next town west or south(unless it's the city line) you pay 2 zones, $2.35.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,317 times
Thank you all. I just checked into the 107 I didn't know about that. I'm on the east side of I-78 right next to the highway so I'm literally a minute walk to the 39 stop, but it might be good for me to check into the 107 since the area I'm going to be traveling the most is located very close to the Port Authority.

Thank you all again for your help.

Old 11-08-2011, 03:17 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,072 times
Quote:
Thank you all. I just checked into the 107 I didn't know about that. I'm on the east side of I-78 right next to the highway so I'm literally a minute walk to the 39 stop, but it might be good for me to check into the 107 since the area I'm going to be traveling the most is located very close to the Port Authority.

check some of my posts for links to a full bus map for all transit in the state of NJ

Old 11-08-2011, 09:30 PM

3,849 posts, read 7,292,448 times
Quote:

I'd say it's worth the extra money for the #107. A monthly pass costs $153, whereas the #39 + PATH is $54 + $54 = $108, so for $45 more, you get a direct ride (rather than having to make 2 transfers) and you're left closer to work.

Bus and rail passes are cross-honored, and a Newark-NY Penn Station pass costs $139. I'm 99% sure that they'd accept the rail pass on the bus (it's not illegal, but it's a small loophole), so that'd be $14 a month you'd save by doing that.

Whether you use the bus or rail pass, it'll still be valid on the #39, so you don't even have to walk from the #107 (on Lyons Avenue). You'd be able to transfer to the #39 and be let off on Chancellor Avenue, which is closer to home.

Old 11-09-2011, 06:21 AM

2,046 posts, read 4,108,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
I'd say it's worth the extra money for the #107. A monthly pass costs $153, whereas the #39 + PATH is $54 + $54 = $108, so for $45 more, you get a direct ride (rather than having to make 2 transfers) and you're left closer to work.

Bus and rail passes are cross-honored, and a Newark-NY Penn Station pass costs $139. I'm 99% sure that they'd accept the rail pass on the bus (it's not illegal, but it's a small loophole), so that'd be $14 a month you'd save by doing that.

Whether you use the bus or rail pass, it'll still be valid on the #39, so you don't even have to walk from the #107 (on Lyons Avenue). You'd be able to transfer to the #39 and be let off on Chancellor Avenue, which is closer to home.
basically OP just go monthly rail pass with $153 value or 5/6 zone rail

Old 11-09-2011, 06:36 AM

181 posts, read 992,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post

In most cases the Bus passes are not accepted on trains except in certain cases like the Raritan Valley Line and Rail passes are acepted on buses up to the number of Zones which is on the pass
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or