U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-05-2011, 04:33 PM
 
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
308 posts, read 570,248 times
Reputation: 188

Advertisements

We were without power for 3 days and moved in with my family until our power was restored. Should the landlord reduce our rent for those 3 days? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-05-2011, 05:00 PM
 
1,894 posts, read 3,706,358 times
Reputation: 4538
I doubt you'd be able to take any legal recourse in a situation like this, and my personal opinion is that you shouldn't be able to do so.

Your landlord has absolutely NO control over freak Halloween snow storms, power outages and the inability (some would say complete ineptness) of public utilities to restore power in a timely manner.

And I'm sorry to get preachy on you, but I'd consider myself lucky to have only lost power for 3 days. I lost power early Saturday and didn't get power back till Monday night (i.e., 3 days, just like you), so I know what you went through and how you feel. Well...actually, unlike you, I didn't have anyplace where I could go so I stayed in my dark home, eating cold Chef Boyardee by candle light and taking "showers" with baby wipes. Still, I consider myself lucky.

There are over 10,000 people as I type this, that are on day 8 (going on 9) with no power. Some of these people don't even have water. People have died. Pets have died.

Plus, it was your choice to vacate your home for those 3 days. You could have, like many other people, just stayed there and toughed it out. I don't think he should owe you a credit for those 3 days of rent. Like I said...not his fault the power went out. What would 3 days of rent amount to anyway? Somewhere between $100 and $200, based on a monthly rent of $1,000 to $2,000. I don't really think it's worth pursuing...even if you did have a legal right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-05-2011, 05:28 PM
 
Location: Dark Side of the Moon
308 posts, read 570,248 times
Reputation: 188
Thanks for your response. You have persuaded me not to pursue a reduction in our rent. I would only say that my wife and I would have stayed to have toughed it out, but we have a newborn and we didnt think it was a good idea for her to be in an apartment with a room temp in the low 50's, especially since she had been a preemie with upper respiratory issues. I wasnt planning on seeking legal recourse. I wasnt sure if we were entitled to a credit towards the 3 days and therefore I wanted to get others' opinion on this matter. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seque5tra View Post
I doubt you'd be able to take any legal recourse in a situation like this, and my personal opinion is that you shouldn't be able to do so.

Your landlord has absolutely NO control over freak Halloween snow storms, power outages and the inability (some would say complete ineptness) of public utilities to restore power in a timely manner.

And I'm sorry to get preachy on you, but I'd consider myself lucky to have only lost power for 3 days. I lost power early Saturday and didn't get power back till Monday night (i.e., 3 days, just like you), so I know what you went through and how you feel. Well...actually, unlike you, I didn't have anyplace where I could go so I stayed in my dark home, eating cold Chef Boyardee by candle light and taking "showers" with baby wipes. Still, I consider myself lucky.

There are over 10,000 people as I type this, that are on day 8 (going on 9) with no power. Some of these people don't even have water. People have died. Pets have died.

Plus, it was your choice to vacate your home for those 3 days. You could have, like many other people, just stayed there and toughed it out. I don't think he should owe you a credit for those 3 days of rent. Like I said...not his fault the power went out. What would 3 days of rent amount to anyway? Somewhere between $100 and $200, based on a monthly rent of $1,000 to $2,000. I don't really think it's worth pursuing...even if you did have a legal right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 03:33 PM
 
1,894 posts, read 3,706,358 times
Reputation: 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaOnMyMind View Post
I would only say that my wife and I would have stayed to have toughed it out, but we have a newborn and we didnt think it was a good idea for her to be in an apartment with a room temp in the low 50's, especially since she had been a preemie with upper respiratory issues.
Aaaw, congrats on your little one! Thank goodness you had someplace to go.

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think you're entitled to any credit in a situation like this. But I completely understand where you might be coming from, having just had a baby (and a preemie, no less). Now you have all those hospital bills on top of the rent and everything else. I'm sure you don't want to lose any more money to any more channels than necessary. You're just covering your bases. I get it.

Good luck to you and your family, and stay warm!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2011, 03:40 PM
 
Location: NJ
22,690 posts, read 28,576,098 times
Reputation: 14625
having a young daughter, i understand how much it would suck to lose power. now i see things differently, like the airplane stuck on the tarmac for 7 hours is a lot worse if you have a 1 year old with you. but i really dont see how the landlord would be on the hook in this instance and im surprised you would think he might be. i guess anythng's possible, just takes some lawmakers slipping in something to a bill that all the sudden could make that a reality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Randolph, NJ
265 posts, read 462,958 times
Reputation: 204
The lease that my office uses says that the tenant is reponsible for utilities (heat, electric, phone, cable, etc) and specifically says that the landlord is not responsible for loss of utilities.

If you think about this from the Landlord's point of view, there's no reason that he/she should reduce the rent for something beyond his/her control.

Hope you're warm and toasty now, and your daughter is doing well following her first storm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 11:24 AM
 
14,777 posts, read 34,516,591 times
Reputation: 14278
As others said, outside of the landlord causing the outage through failure to maintain the property or some other issue, it's not his fault, so not his responsibility to compensate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 11:51 AM
 
13,570 posts, read 16,078,259 times
Reputation: 18042
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As others said, outside of the landlord causing the outage through failure to maintain the property or some other issue, it's not his fault, so not his responsibility to compensate you.
Yup!
OP--Ask yourself the following question:
Is the landlord the proximate cause of your loss of electric power?

Since the obvious answer is, "no", you cannot hold the landlord responsible for something that he/she did not cause, and which is beyond his/her control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Vermont
5,439 posts, read 14,335,161 times
Reputation: 2609
No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-07-2011, 01:55 PM
 
432 posts, read 1,140,078 times
Reputation: 337
I'm waiting for someone to say "the landlord should have had a generator".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top