U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:33 PM

1,043 posts, read 2,324,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I am the only one who found Aldi gross? I went to the one in Rockaway and couldn't wait to leave. Hmmm reading all the rave reviews above I think I should go back and check again. Perhaps I was too cranky to be shopping that day?
I find all of their stores to be very clean and well-run. The crowds can roll a little hard at times. But that's the target audience.

It is a great store. Aldi's is proof that a store targeting working-class people can be clean and offer quality products for reasonable prices. (Unlike Food Basics. The prices are there, but the cleanliness and quality? All 'hood.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 02:35 PM

22,675 posts, read 28,568,174 times
the store in hazlet is always clean and well organized. cant say that about all the shoppers there but they are sweet people looking for deals just like me.

Old 11-06-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAOS Mom View Post
I think I'm going to take my first Aldi trip this week to Rockaway. What are some things you would recommend? I'll be looking at kid friendly stuff - mac & cheese, pasta, sauce, etc.
OK, here are some of my top picks...

Dried fruits, Canned/Bagged Nuts - Pretty much the same as Trader Joe's stuff at a 40% - 50% discount.

Milk/Dark Chocolate Butter Cookies - Freeking awesome. Like the Little Schoolboy cookies in the supermarket, at less than half the price.

Taco Shells/Taco Seasoning - At $.99 for the shells and about $.40 for the seasoning, you can add a pound a cheap chop meat and have a cheap meal for the family.

Danish Strips - Honestly, these are better than the Entenmann's. Not as much of a discount on these as some other items, but oh so good.

Spices/Salad Dressings - As good as name brand stuff, only cheaper.

Take & Bake Pizzas - They've raised the price on these recently, but they're very good. These are the ones you find in the refrigerator case.

Frozen Orange/Mandarin Chicken - Nearly the same as the Trader Joe's versions. I actually prefer the Aldi's versions because they're white meat instead of dark meat.

Cereals - The bootleg Rice Krispies are very close to the original. The blueberry and strawberry mini wheats are probably better than similar Kellogg's versions.

Bootleg Gatorade - Surprisingly good. And a bargain at $.69 a bottle.

Cornbread crackers - Maybe the best crackers I've ever had. Great buttery flavor. (And there's real butter in them!)

Choceur/Moser Roth chocolate bars/treats - Unbelievable! Probably better than the Trader Joe's stuff, and blows Nestle and Hershey out of the water. Very cheap for most items too.

Refrigerated tortellinis - Just like Trader Joe's. (The dried pastas are fine too.)

Bootleg A1 - This isn't A1, but at about 1/3 the price, it's perfectly fine!

Butter, Sour Cream, Yogurt - Just like typical name brands at half the price.

And a few misses...

Ketchup - It ain't Heinz, or even Hunts. Pretty nasty, actually. My biggest miss with Aldi's so far.

Jarred Tomato Pesto Sauce - Not really bad, but not great. I was expecting it to be more of a sun dried tomato pesto sauce. It's not. It's like bleh canned tomato sauce.

Bootleg Tombstone Pizzas - Again, not really bad, but the sauce is way too sweet. The Take & Bakes are much better.

Also keep your eyes peeled for produce specials. The selection is limited, but the deals are good. Pineapples are often available for $.99.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:12 PM

112 posts, read 110,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
Milk/Dark Chocolate Butter Cookies - Freeking awesome. Like the Little Schoolboy cookies in the supermarket, at less than half the price.
I don't know if you saw them or bought them a few weeks ago, but they had boxes of cookies that looked just like girl scout cookies, I bought a couple of boxes and damn they tasted just like them, I bought the cookie that has coconut, caramel and chocolate, and the chocolate cookie mints.

Old 11-06-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
I don't know if you saw them or bought them a few weeks ago, but they had boxes of cookies that looked just like girl scout cookies, I bought a couple of boxes and damn they tasted just like them, I bought the cookie that has coconut, caramel and chocolate, and the chocolate cookie mints.
Yep, sure did. Got the Bootleg Thin Mints and Samoas (the coconut/caramel/chocolate kind, my favorite). Both were terrific. And only $1.99 a box!

Old 11-06-2011, 03:18 PM

21 posts, read 45,250 times
I will try this store; but I am sure it will suck...as most things in NJ...

Old 11-06-2011, 04:15 PM

3,269 posts, read 8,723,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJerseyGrl View Post
What do you mean by gross? the store is very clean and the staff are so nice.
The food, I mean the food. It seemed so, well, crappy.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:52 AM

151 posts, read 448,453 times
Wow, thanks a lot! I can't wait to get there! I'm not brand picky to begin with, so I'm sure the off brand name won't bother me.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:37 AM

4,111 posts, read 12,832,144 times
Have been to the one in Rockaway often and while I havent bought a ton of food, overall what I did buy was good and the price was right. Went to the one in Daytona Beach recently and while it's not huge, they even sold both wine and beer (we were in a rush and didn't buy either). It was laid out a bit differently than the Rockaway one w/ the refrig. and I believe frozen food toward the left of the store (as you walk in).

Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,174,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
The food, I mean the food. It seemed so, well, crappy.
It's all generic and the packaging is very basic plus the selection is limited to high volume items as that is their business model to keep prices down.
I've bought items there and compared to the same from Trader Joe's and they were identical, just cheaper. As mentioned, the chocolates and cookies are wonderful (most come from Germany), cheeses are excellent as are the salad items and basics such as pasta, butter, beans etc are extremely well priced.

I find it a great balance to other stores I generally visit and a good way to keep my budget in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey