U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2011, 10:39 AM

6 posts, read 24,374 times

Advertisements

Summit, Short Hills, Millburn, Maplewood, South Orange would be good for your family.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 21,514 times
Thank you so much everyone for your input. there is lots of helpful information here.

yes, we are looking to shorten his commute. his walk from the seastreak stop in nyc would be a few minutes. i misspoke when i said wtc. his office is one whitehall, which makes a difference because it is a 20 minute walk from the path. which is why the towns further north, like summit/millburn/ westfield do not significantly cut the commute. We do not want to go too far north because we would like to keep our support system within 30-40 minutes.

It seems there is lots of great things about Rumson/Fair Haven/Holmdel area. My concerns are that they are competitive putting too much pressure on kids. For example the "which side of the tracks are you on" in Middletown. I am also hesitant of the pressures that come with very affluent areas. I want down to earth, approachable people and not feel like everyone is trying to outdo each other. I know there are always pros and cons, all types and you find your niche. I just want to make sure there is my niche. I would love to hear more about Hazlet and the Atlantic Highlands. I don't know anything about Rutherford.

As for the car drive to the city...I miss the city and love going in. It is hard with three little one's and schedules if I need two hours each way. By the time I get there with them we barely have time to do something before getting out to beat rush hour. Aside from the fact that is a lot of time for them to spend in the car. I am not available for public transportation when it is 3 against 1.

We really do appreciate all the help. It is scary uprooting our family and want to do our homework. I plan to go to the Whole Foods on 35, check out a class or two with my kids to get a feel for the Middletown area. Any other ideas please share!

Old 11-08-2011, 06:01 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,812,001 times
I live in Hazlet and I love it. People are very down to earth and friendly. Not "in your business" friendly lol but lots of friendly hellos as you walk around the neighborhood. And there are plenty of people on bikes and walking - that was important to me. That I not live someplace where walking was viewed as strange. Kids walk to the store together and I see them playing baseball in the summer on the field near my house without adults. I didn't like Middletown for the exact reasons that you mentioned.

I have a friend in Atlantic Highlands and she really likes it there and seems to get along well with her neighbors.

I don't know too much about Fair Haven but it seems lovely. If we were going to move I would definitely investigate that area more.

I don't think it's too far to drive to the city. For me it's the trip through the tunnel that's horrible so that's why I don't do it. I've been driving to Brooklyn with my son and taking the train. But I can see that it would be harder with 3. What are their ages? The ferry is free for children under 5 and 2 children 6-11 ride free with each paying adult. So that might help. And you might go less than you imagine you would - there are so many things in Monmouth County to do with children. The NY Aquarium and the Bronx Zoo are also easily accessible by car and don't require a hell drive to the city. And there are several museums in NJ to check out - also an easier drive.

We weren't set on an area when we started looking and our agent helped us out with where to look. He was great and I can pm you his name if you need someone. Definitely one of the good ones.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:50 AM

51,198 posts, read 50,480,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
I live in Hazlet and I love it. People are very down to earth and friendly. Not "in your business" friendly lol but lots of friendly hellos as you walk around the neighborhood. And there are plenty of people on bikes and walking - that was important to me. That I not live someplace where walking was viewed as strange. Kids walk to the store together and I see them playing baseball in the summer on the field near my house without adults. I didn't like Middletown for the exact reasons that you mentioned.

I have a friend in Atlantic Highlands and she really likes it there and seems to get along well with her neighbors.

I don't know too much about Fair Haven but it seems lovely. If we were going to move I would definitely investigate that area more.

I don't think it's too far to drive to the city. For me it's the trip through the tunnel that's horrible so that's why I don't do it. I've been driving to Brooklyn with my son and taking the train. But I can see that it would be harder with 3. What are their ages? The ferry is free for children under 5 and 2 children 6-11 ride free with each paying adult. So that might help. And you might go less than you imagine you would - there are so many things in Monmouth County to do with children. The NY Aquarium and the Bronx Zoo are also easily accessible by car and don't require a hell drive to the city. And there are several museums in NJ to check out - also an easier drive.

We weren't set on an area when we started looking and our agent helped us out with where to look. He was great and I can pm you his name if you need someone. Definitely one of the good ones.
Good post. I also liked Hazlet and when searching for my condo was down to two complexes--one in Hazlet and the one where I bought. I no longer have a small child, so schools weren't a concern for me. My real estate agent, who has three young children, chose to buy a house in Hazlet.

As the poster I'm quoting says, there are so many things for kids in Monmouth County. The parks always seem to have activities going on for children, and another big advantage of the area, particularly in summer--is that the ocean is literally minutes from your home!

Old 11-08-2011, 07:45 AM

838 posts, read 1,727,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanielyn View Post
Thank you so much everyone for your input. there is lots of helpful information here.

yes, we are looking to shorten his commute. his walk from the seastreak stop in nyc would be a few minutes. i misspoke when i said wtc. his office is one whitehall, which makes a difference because it is a 20 minute walk from the path. which is why the towns further north, like summit/millburn/ westfield do not significantly cut the commute. We do not want to go too far north because we would like to keep our support system within 30-40 minutes.

It seems there is lots of great things about Rumson/Fair Haven/Holmdel area. My concerns are that they are competitive putting too much pressure on kids. For example the "which side of the tracks are you on" in Middletown. I am also hesitant of the pressures that come with very affluent areas. I want down to earth, approachable people and not feel like everyone is trying to outdo each other. I know there are always pros and cons, all types and you find your niche. I just want to make sure there is my niche. I would love to hear more about Hazlet and the Atlantic Highlands. I don't know anything about Rutherford.

As for the car drive to the city...I miss the city and love going in. It is hard with three little one's and schedules if I need two hours each way. By the time I get there with them we barely have time to do something before getting out to beat rush hour. Aside from the fact that is a lot of time for them to spend in the car. I am not available for public transportation when it is 3 against 1.

We really do appreciate all the help. It is scary uprooting our family and want to do our homework. I plan to go to the Whole Foods on 35, check out a class or two with my kids to get a feel for the Middletown area. Any other ideas please share!
Take the ferry it's expensive but easy, convienient and fast but expensive. As far as town, I would say Rumson, Fair Haven are the best but you may be right about the competetiveness. As an alternative but still great schools and towns look at Little Silver or the southside of Middletown especially Lincroft. Good Luck, that part of Monmouth County is great!

Old 11-08-2011, 09:44 AM

2,310 posts, read 4,812,001 times
Quote:

As far as getting a feel for the area - you can check out the Gymboree in Red Bank, The Middletown Arts Center (cheap concerts for young children and loads of other things), The Y in Red Bank (I haven't been but it's supposed to be great). The Monmouth Museum in Brookdale Community College (Lincroft). And here is a link to the parks system so you can see the kinds of activities they have http://monmouthcountyparks.com Holmdel Park is a dream in every way. I like Thompson Park as well.

Holmdel Commons (also on 35) is great shopping center with book store and restaurants. Check out the Middletown Public Library - they have a ridiculous amount of activities! But always keep an eye on 'distance to the ferry' when looking at towns. You really want to be close so you don't eat up any of the time savings with a long drive. There is a ferry from Belford (NY Waterway). And I think it's the SeaStreak that goes from Atlantic Highlands. 2 different companies and terminals. And the further South you go, the longer your drive to the city.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM

22 posts, read 75,334 times
In terms of the distance to the Seastreak ferry, I think the location of my house is hard to beat. I'm in a relatively new development called Cottage Gate off of 36 in AH (I pay tax to middletown, but the mailing address is AH), and it is almost at the midpoint between the two Seastreak terminals - one in AH and the other in Highlands. The departure point in the morning alternates between the two terminals, while the boats stop at both locations for the commute back in the afternoon. So regardless of the departure point I travel to on any given day, my commute is short. I suggest your husband check out the schedule at the seastreak website and actually ride a boat into the city to see how well it works into his schedule. There is also the belford ferry as someone mentioned, but I believe it runs less frequently.

I see many kids on the boat, especially during off-peak hours. It is really a hassle-free way to get to the city, and also as someone else pointed out riding the ferry and using cabs in the city can be cheaper than driving in and paying for parking if the kids are young.

Compared to middletown, where I live is also closer to the sandy hook beach and the restaurants in highlands. On the other hand, there are more commercial establishments along rt 35 than rt 36, so it is farther to get to stores, etc. from AH than middletown. Rumson/fair haven have the best schools around the area, but the home prices and property taxes are accordingly higher.

I moved into the area only a couple of years ago from the city, so am learning a few things from other posters here. I can also let you know the name of the RE agent we used - his office is in rumson and he covers the area (middletown, R/FH/LS, AH/H, sea bright, etc.) - good guy.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:36 PM

390 posts, read 1,118,146 times
Quote:
I am also hesitant of the pressures that come with very affluent areas. I want down to earth, approachable people and not feel like everyone is trying to outdo each other. I know there are always pros and cons, all types and you find your niche. I just want to make sure there is my niche. I would love to hear more about Hazlet and the Atlantic Highlands. I don't know anything about Rutherford.

Rutherford, for me at least, is one of the quintessential Northern New Jersey towns. Lots of old homes, trees, middle to upper middle class town, with a good school system, and crime is virtually non existant. Not snooty at all though, like many Upper Bergen County towns are. It has it's own downtown with great little restaurants, and easy access to many NJ highways (21, 17, and 3). The real bonus though is that it's the second to last stop on the train line before Hoboken, making it one of the quickest commutes into lower Manhattan from suburban New Jersey.

With your list of needs, I think you'd be crazy not to at least look into it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or